• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ACC Divisional Realignment

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how valid this is, but Jeffro posted new divisional rivals in the ACC thread on the college football boards.

Sounds like the divisions are going to be shook up before the 2014 football season. This is the proposed cross rivals:
FSU-Miami
GT-Clemson
UNC-NCSU
UVA-VT
Louisville-Pitt
Duke-Wake
Syracuse-BC

Unless they're planning a complete overhaul, it looks like either VT/UVA will be switching divisions with BC/Cuse.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is blowing up on all the message boards. TKP has a video of Clemson's AD discussing:

ACC Divisions Possibly Realigning? | The Key Play

short version... they've got it on the agenda for a meeting in February, just to kick the tires and see if they can get the ball rolling. More meetings would be needed after that if the discussions go well in Feb. Not going to happen in time for next season.

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take it. I have been shocked ESPN hasn't pushed for more attractive ACC games annually, such as VT-Clemson and/or VT-FSU. Maybe they have and that's the impetus for this. Since we backed off the logical 9-game conference schedule, we must dump the cross-division permanent opponent. Playing FSU and Clemson twice every 13 years is ridiculous.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take it. I have been shocked ESPN hasn't pushed for more attractive ACC games annually, such as VT-Clemson and/or VT-FSU. Maybe they have and that's the impetus for this. Since we backed off the logical 9-game conference schedule, we must dump the cross-division permanent opponent. Playing FSU and Clemson twice every 13 years is ridiculous.

Lots, if not all, of the schools are upset about that in one form or another. I think that's probably the primary impetus for this, and why I have some real hope that they'll do something.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cringe at the thought of North-South divisions. Not sure how having no divisions, a pod system or new divisions every year would ever work out.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
That's an improvement for us. I doubt much will come about it though. Clemson and NCSU are valuable fan bases to be paired with. Get them balanced on the schedule with UVa and Miami, plus future OOC matchups and the sellout streak starts again. Wake Forest is the closest geographical opponent in the conference (a few miles from stadium to stadium than UVA).

I don't see how it improves very much else. The conference needs to promote and maximize its best matchups. FSU vs Clemson should remain a common spot in the lineup. That's the type of game that will build the perception of the ACC. The top programs need to play each other more often, even if we have to occasionally interrupt lesser matchups. The attempt to balance division strength is laughable too.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm also hearing when the alignment does happen, we will go to a 9 game conference schedule.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with that realignment. It's a nice mix. We get perceived national powers Clemson and Miami, historical player Pitt (in a nice little new recruiting bed of ours), a couple of teams that are usually at least solid in BC and NCSU and then there is Wake who is an unknown with the coaching change. I want to keep games with Miami, Virginia and GT as rivalry games but if we have to swap GT for former BE rival Pitt, I will take it. CPJ is a douche anyway.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm also hearing when the alignment does happen, we will go to a 9 game conference schedule.

I'd love this. If we keep the 8 game schedule and the same yearly rival, we'd only get to see the other cross-divisional opponents once every 7 years.

I'm fine with that realignment. It's a nice mix. We get perceived national powers Clemson and Miami, historical player Pitt (in a nice little new recruiting bed of ours), a couple of teams that are usually at least solid in BC and NCSU and then there is Wake who is an unknown with the coaching change. I want to keep games with Miami, Virginia and GT as rivalry games but if we have to swap GT for former BE rival Pitt, I will take it. CPJ is a douche anyway.

If those are the new divisions, I'd miss the yearly games against UNC and GT. I thought we were developing good rivalries with both, moreso with GT.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with 46. Fuck Paul Johnson. Totally fine with not playing them as long as he's their coach. He's just got that punchable douchebag vibe going.