• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ACC/B1G Challenge 2014

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I take from that is.....

Only one ranked ACC team lost.

5 ranked Big 10 teams lost.

The top of the ACC is clearly better than the top of the B1G.

#1 ACC Duke beats #1 B1G Wisconsin
#2 ACC Louisville beats #2 B1G Ohio State
#3 ACC Virginia beats #4/5 B1G Maryland
#4 ACC Miami beats #6 B1G Illinois
#6 ACC Notre Dame beats #4/5 B1G Michigan State

I think this showed there is a clear top 4 in the ACC. Maybe ND joins that group and maybe UNC, but I don't see anybody else cracking the top 4. It'll be Duke, UVA, Louisville and Miami in some order. Honestly think we could see the ACC match the Big East from 2009 with three #1 seeds in the tournament. Much of that has to do with how great the top is, and how awful the bottom is.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think this showed there is a clear top 4 in the ACC. Maybe ND joins that group and maybe UNC, but I don't see anybody else cracking the top 4. It'll be Duke, UVA, Louisville and Miami in some order. Honestly think we could see the ACC match the Big East from 2009 with three #1 seeds in the tournament. Much of that has to do with how great the top is, and how awful the bottom is.

Maryland is a different team without Wells. I'm still not sold on Virginia. I need to see them beat somebody to deserve a top 5-8ish ranking, let alone the 1 seed discussion.

Kentucky, Duke, and Gonzaga will be 1 seeds, I believe. That 4th 1 seed could be Zona, Texas, Wisconsin, Nova or maybe Louisville. Way too early yet...

Can't argue with the top ACC teams dominating the top of the B1G. I wouldn't mind seeing a Michigan - Louisville rematch in the Tourney, however. I wouldn't guarantee a U-M win, I'd just like to see that go down.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maryland is a different team without Wells. I'm still not sold on Virginia. I need to see them beat somebody to deserve a top 5-8ish ranking, let alone the 1 seed discussion.

Kentucky, Duke, and Gonzaga will be 1 seeds, I believe. That 4th 1 seed could be Zona, Texas, Wisconsin, Nova or maybe Louisville. Way too early yet...

Can't argue with the top ACC teams dominating the top of the B1G. I wouldn't mind seeing a Michigan - Louisville rematch in the Tourney, however. I wouldn't guarantee a U-M win, I'd just like to see that go down.

That's true regarding Wells, but I don't think MD wins even with him. I think UVA looked great last night. They have alot of options with Anderson, Gill, Brogdon and Tobey. And I think Perrantes is a really underrated PG.

I think UK and Duke will be one seeds as well. I'd say the other two are up for grabs. I certainly think Louisville and UVA will be in the mix for that. There is a good chance UVA, Miami and Duke win out with the rest of their OOC games, and Louisville probably only losing to UK, but they get them at home, so who knows with that. If all 4 are undefeated heading into conference play, I definitely think it's a possibility. At the worst the four of them only lose a combined 2-3 games the rest of the way OOC IMO.

I will say if Gonzaga does beat Zona this weekend, running the table in the regular season is on the table for them and if so they will be guaranteed a 1 IMO. Only realistic games they might lose if they beat Zona are @ UCLA and @ BYU @ St. Mary's. Although they should run through the WCC unbeaten.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B-1-G! B-1-G! B-1-G!

right guise?

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that it matters all that much but I'd forgotten how ugly the Wisconsin - Virginia game was last year in Charlottesville.. 48-38 Wisconsin.

Going by the eyetest this season, I honestly think the only team better than Wisconsin, in the ACC, is Duke.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that it matters all that much but I'd forgotten how ugly the Wisconsin - Virginia game was last year in Charlottesville.. 48-38 Wisconsin.

Going by the eyetest this season, I honestly think the only team better than Wisconsin, in the ACC, is Duke.

Virginia and Louisville would both give Wisky fits because of their all around defensive pressure. Granted Duke shot lights out, but games between Wisky and UVA or L-ville would be first to 50 pts. Although, I was actually surprised at how fast paced Wisky's offense looked last night compared to most years, but they appeared to let Duke control the tempo.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami isn't anywhere close to 1 seed worthy lol.

They are still going to lose a lot of games. And of course people will be like "what happened to Miami" when really nothing happened, they just are not as good as some are being fooled into thinking.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true regarding Wells, but I don't think MD wins even with him. I think UVA looked great last night. They have alot of options with Anderson, Gill, Brogdon and Tobey. And I think Perrantes is a really underrated PG.

Wells and Smotrycz combined for 31 pts, 8 boards and 5 assists in the Terps win over UVA last year. That would have been helpful. I think they actually missed Wells' defense even more though. Without Wells, the Terps had nobody who could contain Anderson last night.

It is what it is. I thought the Terps freshmen held up pretty well...all things considered.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The top teams in the BIG are clearly not quite where the ACC is, but they are young and given time will be there. I didn't really see any games where the ACC proved to be miles ahead anyways.. most games for the most part could have almost gone either way. OSU looked for a while like they would be the worst loss and then they calmed down and started shooting. Wisc looked very flat last night, but don't count them out as 1 seed. When they get to the tourney, they're going to be a pain the ass to take down with Kaminsky being a nightmare to match up against. Okafor looks great on offense, but I've yet to see to him play well anywhere outside of that.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami isn't anywhere close to 1 seed worthy lol.

They are still going to lose a lot of games. And of course people will be like "what happened to Miami" when really nothing happened, they just are not as good as some are being fooled into thinking.

Not right now, no. But they will be undefeated heading into ACC play and they have a really easy ACC schedule. Play BC twice, FSU twice and Va. Tech twice. Only play Duke, UVA, ND and UNC once. I could see them being something like 26-5 heading into the ACC Tournament. Would that get a 1 seed? Probably not, but they are definitely on the two line.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The top teams in the BIG are clearly not quite where the ACC is, but they are young and given time will be there. I didn't really see any games where the ACC proved to be miles ahead anyways.. most games for the most part could have almost gone either way. OSU looked for a while like they would be the worst loss and then they calmed down and started shooting. Wisc looked very flat last night, but don't count them out as 1 seed. When they get to the tourney, they're going to be a pain the ass to take down with Kaminsky being a nightmare to match up against. Okafor looks great on offense, but I've yet to see to him play well anywhere outside of that.

What the hell are you talking about? Wisconsin is one of the most experienced teams in the country. Ohio State starts three seniors, Michigan State starts 2 seniors and 2 juniors, Illinois is one of the most experienced teams in the country, Maryland starts 4 seniors(when healthy), Iowa's top 7 scorers are either seniors or juniors, Minnesota starts 3 seniors and 2 juniors, Nebraska starts 4 juniors and their 6th man off the bench is a senior. You literally couldn't be more wrong. The only team that I would consider young is Michigan, out of the teams in the upper half of the B1G.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Louisville and Miami winning close games vs young teams at home is not impressive IMO. Sure they won but they were suppoosed to win home games. The only ACC team that impressed me was Duke. I still dont think they are better than Wisconsin because they likely wont shoot like that again if the teams matchup but it was still a GREAT win. The other ACC teams are very pedestrian I think. UVA had a nice road win but Maryland without Wells isnt really a top tier team. For the B10 nobody really stood out as better than I thought, even my Hawkeyes really didnt play very well although they did show a toughness theyve been lacking. Minnesota and Nebraska both got decent road wins but other than that it was pretty blah. I put Michigan in the same boat as Louisville and Miami, nice win but not impressive at all. Thats a game UM should win and they did but were not that great in doing so. Not sure what to think on MSU, honestly they may not be very good but Izzo has years like this where they start of pretty average and then crank it up by years end.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Louisville and Miami winning close games vs young teams at home is not impressive IMO. Sure they won but they were suppoosed to win home games. The only ACC team that impressed me was Duke. I still dont think they are better than Wisconsin because they likely wont shoot like that again if the teams matchup but it was still a GREAT win. The other ACC teams are very pedestrian I think. UVA had a nice road win but Maryland without Wells isnt really a top tier team. For the B10 nobody really stood out as better than I thought, even my Hawkeyes really didnt play very well although they did show a toughness theyve been lacking. Minnesota and Nebraska both got decent road wins but other than that it was pretty blah. I put Michigan in the same boat as Louisville and Miami, nice win but not impressive at all. Thats a game UM should win and they did but were not that great in doing so. Not sure what to think on MSU, honestly they may not be very good but Izzo has years like this where they start of pretty average and then crank it up by years end.

So your take is that both conferences suck....aside from Duke, who are not as good as Wisky? Duke is only going to get better....much better. BTW, Louisville and Miami blew the doors off their RANKED opponents in the first half and coasted to victory....sure they let off the gas and let their RANKED opponents get back into it, but they had no problem finishing what they started. How bout you give some props to Notre Dame....maybe they're actually pretty good this year. They've only lost one game by 1 pt to a pretty good Providence team.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh don't really care about rankings. Illinois is ranked now but they may not even be a tour new team. Same for maryland I think. Louisville is good but they don't have the offense to make a final 4. Pretty much the only 2 legit title contenders I see in either league are duke and sconnie

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again, I wouldn't consider Ohio State young at all. They start 3 seniors, and have 5 in their rotation. Sure their best player is a freshman, but that is offset by the other 3 senior starters. And Illinois starts 3 seniors, a 22 year old junior and a sophomore. Again not seeing how they are "young" That's just a lame excuse for getting beat. And it's not as if Louisville is some senior laden team up and down. Out of their top 7 guys three are freshman and one is a sophomore.

I think Louisville and Miami winning is impressive, at the end of the day it will be a top 50 win to put on the resume. The only thing the B1G did that was impressive was Iowa beating a "ranked" UNC team. The B1G won all the garbage games, and outside of Iowa beating UNC probably didn't beat another team that will make the tournament.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh don't really care about rankings. Illinois is ranked now but they may not even be a tour new team. Same for maryland I think. Louisville is good but they don't have the offense to make a final 4. Pretty much the only 2 legit title contenders I see in either league are duke and sconnie

So the B1G is going to get what 4 teams in the tournament? I certainly think it's better than that.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I wouldn't consider Ohio State young at all. They start 3 seniors, and have 5 in their rotation. Sure their best player is a freshman, but that is offset by the other 3 senior starters. And Illinois starts 3 seniors, a 22 year old junior and a sophomore. Again not seeing how they are "young" That's just a lame excuse for getting beat. And it's not as if Louisville is some senior laden team up and down. Out of their top 7 guys three are freshman and one is a sophomore.

I think Louisville and Miami winning is impressive, at the end of the day it will be a top 50 win to put on the resume. The only thing the B1G did that was impressive was Iowa beating a "ranked" UNC team. The B1G won all the garbage games, and outside of Iowa beating UNC probably didn't beat another team that will make the tournament.

and in reference to your reply to me as well... this is why you don't know shit. OSU's season is going to depend on their freshmen and a kid who redshirted last year. All these upperclassmen you refer to didn't get the job done last year and will be decent support players at best. Our YOUNG players need time to develop and learn the system. Same goes for Michigan and MSU who lost quite a bit of talent last year(especially MSU).

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and in reference to your reply to me as well... this is why you don't know shit. OSU's season is going to depend on their freshmen and a kid who redshirted last year. All these upperclassmen you refer to didn't get the job done last year and will be decent support players at best. Our YOUNG players need time to develop and learn the system. Same goes for Michigan and MSU who lost quite a bit of talent last year(especially MSU).

Wtf?

All he said was that OSU has experience and guess the fuck what?? They DO. Williams, Scott and Thompson are all a huge part of their rotation. Loving is a sophomore and is a big part as well.

Russell is the only freshman starter. The other 4 are the next 4 leading scorers and 3 of them have loads of experience while Loving gained some in big games last year.

You tried to call someone out, for the sake of calling them out.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wtf?

All he said was that OSU has experience and guess the fuck what?? They DO. Williams, Scott and Thompson are all a huge part of their rotation. Loving is a sophomore and is a big part as well.

Russell is the only freshman starter. The other 4 are the next 4 leading scorers and 3 of them have loads of experience while Loving gained some in big games last year.

You tried to call someone out, for the sake of calling them out.

We have 4 freshman: Russell, Tate, Williams & Bates-Diop who will play a major role this year if OSU is to have any real success.. and Russell looks like the guy our offense is going to start with... and while not exactly a freshman, Lee is still trying to fit in. You can't throw that many new guys into the mix and say OSU is an old and experienced team because they have 3 seniors sharing floor time. That's not how it works. OSU needs time to mature these guys and work them into the system.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Illinois is loaded with young talent and a few transfer guards. Their schedule is brutal, but I think when it's all said and done they will come together and be in the big dance.

Miami is just nasty. Look out for that team.