• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Monday morning observation

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Calgary Flames (who missed the postseason) finished two points ahead of both teams battling for the Eastern Conference championship.

I don't really have a point, aside from once you'll get in the dance, anything can happen.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really have a point, aside from once you'll get in the dance, anything can happen.

unless you are Vancouver. you will just lose 2nd round...

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Calgary Flames (who missed the postseason) finished two points ahead of both teams battling for the Eastern Conference championship.

This statement alone would have made the swamp inhabitable for about four days.

That's why we play the games, boys and girls.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This statement alone would have made the swamp inhabitable for about four days.

That's why we play the games, boys and girls.

There's plenty of calls from the fans in Calgary to blow it up and go with the youth movement and I agree to a point, however, it could also be argued that the team isn't that far away either.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's plenty of calls from the fans in Calgary to blow it up and go with the youth movement and I agree to a point, however, it could also be argued that the team isn't that far away either.

The Flames are not that far away. The problem is a whole lot of other teams are not that far away, either. You could argue that the difference between sixth and 12th in the west is a string of injuries. Was that Avalanche team noticeably better than say, Columbus or Calgary? Nope. Just got hot when it counted. I don't think the Jackets need to change much, but there's no guarantee there's going to be any change next year. Had Mason not forgotten who he was in December, they'd have been there.

My orig comment was more imagining the battle between Dup and Maddog with the statement...

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i cant believe there have been rumors about iginla leaving calgary.. guys a leader and a force.. i would not get rid of him

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i cant believe there have been rumors about iginla leaving calgary.. guys a leader and a force.. i would not get rid of him

I'd sure like to see Iggy retire as a member of the Calgary Flames, but at the same time, I'd like to see him get a legitimate shot at the Stanley Cup again, and I don't think that's going to happen in Calgary anytime soon (judging by some of the baffling moves made by GM Darryl Sutter).

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd sure like to see Iggy retire as a member of the Calgary Flames, but at the same time, I'd like to see him get a legitimate shot at the Stanley Cup again, and I don't think that's going to happen in Calgary anytime soon (judging by some of the baffling moves made by GM Darryl Sutter).

I don't know about that Dash. I figured a playoff year like this year woud give a little more hope. Who has a legitimate shot next year? The Caps, Wings, Pens, Vancouver? What are they all doing right now? The whole Marian Hossa thing comes to mind, sure we all love to talk shit about it and laugh at him, but honestly Parity is a motherfucker. They wanted it, they got it.

Calgary will make the playoffs next year, imo. I honestly don't know what the rest of the division will look like. I have a feeling that the Yotes and Avs could have a bit of a letdown next season anyway.

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
...most of all. I'm a loyalty and pride kinda guy. I would hate to see Iggy's rep tarnished ala Favre. I doubt that would happen, but the opposite feeling of having a guy bleed for one set of colors his whole career is pretty special.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think the NHL should go to 1 to 16 sometime in the future Dash?

In a perfect world, it would be great, but there's no way the owners/GMs will sign off on the additional travel/hotel costs that would arise with a full intra-conference schedule which is the only proper way to do a 1-16 playoff format.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have Iginla and Kiprusoff you are never far away. I just hope Calgary isn't foolish enough to trade either one of them.

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a perfect world, it would be great, but there's no way the owners/GMs will sign off on the additional travel/hotel costs that would arise with a full intra-conference schedule which is the only proper way to do a 1-16 playoff format.

How about keep the conferences separate but come playoff time give the division winners the 1-6 seeds and then take the other 7-16 teams and seed them by points but keep it at 8 teams from each conference?