• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Look Back at the 1990 football season

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gary Patterson's teams at TCU are getting worse each year too Mac. Coincidence?

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gary Patterson's teams at TCU are getting worse each year too Mac. Coincidence?
I don't know the specifics of TCU's inner workings to say. As for WVU, it was not unforeseen. I'm not making anything out of WVU's slide (right now), but you can't say it doesn't exist. Despite the W-L totals, I think he has made progress. This year's team COULD have gone 7-5 easily. My early season guestimate for this coming year is 7-5. (Assuming we have a QB that is in the top 100 in the NCAA...) We just have to wait and see what Dana brings. If he flops this year, then I'll scream for his head.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last two losses of this season, to the two worst teams in the league, after most of the injuries were healed, with a winning season and a bowl game on the line speak volumes about our current coaches. Our best win of the year was the game where Holgorsen said the QB just didn't get it and was not running the offense correctly, again speaks volumes. Experience as head coach DOES matter, yes there are some who do it at a big school, but as I have said many times, I would hire a guy who has had HC experience at a smaller school to learn the coaching part, then when he gets on the bigger stage all he has to learn is the political BS.
BB, I picked 1982 to look at because it was Nehlen's third year, if you really couldn't figure that out...........THAT speaks volumes as well.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know the specifics of TCU's inner workings to say. As for WVU, it was not unforeseen. I'm not making anything out of WVU's slide (right now), but you can't say it doesn't exist. Despite the W-L totals, I think he has made progress. This year's team COULD have gone 7-5 easily. My early season guestimate for this coming year is 7-5. (Assuming we have a QB that is in the top 100 in the NCAA...) We just have to wait and see what Dana brings. If he flops this year, then I'll scream for his head.

I am way too optimistic… as I really thought the team would go 8-4 last year.. 7-5 at worst. As I am a glass half full kind of guy, I believe Dana when he says the team was close last year. But, playmakers didn't make plays when needed, and the defense was decimated by injury.

IMO, you don't have to know TCU's inner workings to understand their situation. It is the same set of dynamics affecting Utah and WVU.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last two losses of this season, to the two worst teams in the league, after most of the injuries were healed, with a winning season and a bowl game on the line speak volumes about our current coaches. Our best win of the year was the game where Holgorsen said the QB just didn't get it and was not running the offense correctly, again speaks volumes. Experience as head coach DOES matter, yes there are some who do it at a big school, but as I have said many times, I would hire a guy who has had HC experience at a smaller school to learn the coaching part, then when he gets on the bigger stage all he has to learn is the political BS.
BB, I picked 1982 to look at because it was Nehlen's third year, if you really couldn't figure that out...........THAT speaks volumes as well.

Please quit lying. Most of WVU's injuries were not healed at the end of the season. Why do you do this?

I never picked 1982.

I picked 1990.

The fact that you insist I picked 1982… when it was you who brought it up… THAT SPEAKS VOLUMES!

What a joke!

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please quit lying. Most of WVU's injuries were not healed at the end of the season. Why do you do this?

I never picked 1982.

I picked 1990.

The fact that you insist I picked 1982… when it was you who brought it up… THAT SPEAKS VOLUMES!

What a joke!

WTF are you talking about? I never said you picked 1982, I picked 1982 to compare apples to apples. You picked 1990 as it was Nehlen's worst season.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF are you talking about? I never said you picked 1982, I picked 1982 to compare apples to apples. You picked 1990 as it was Nehlen's worst season.

DAD, did I misinterpret this quote from you?

The guy on here trying to forgive Holgorsen for this past season by pointing out a bad season during Nehlen's tenure was counting SENIORS on the team, NOT CONTRIBUTING seniors. Using HIS metric, ALL players count, not just those who contribute. The fact remains, that Nehlen took over a HORRIBLE team and turned it into a winner, and Holgorsen took over a winning team and is taking it downhill.

This was your response to Mike. If I am reading it correctly, you are bringing up the 1982 Nehlen team and its talented group of seniors which I cited. I compared the number of seniors on the '82 squad to those of 2013 to see the gross discrepancy. One can look through the '82 roster and see the volume of talent Cignetti had recruited. Nehlen was given some excellent stock with which to work in '82.

I have consistently asked for an analysis of the 1990 Nehlen team and the 2013 team. Nehlen's 1990 team was inexperienced. There is a reason it was one of his worst teams… wouldn't you admit? Dana's 2013 team was inexperienced. The 2013 team was one of the 8 youngest teams in the country. If you are not being a hypocrite, you would admit you understand how Dana's team struggled too. With you… it is always excuses… excuses… excuses. You won't give Dana excuses… but, you will do so for Don. Hypocrite.

While I understand trying to compare Don's third year to Dana's third year, it is not comparing apples to apples in a true sense. Nehlen was given a great foundation from which to build… much thanks to Frank. Dana on the other hand, had little foundation, and has been left to build it… very much like Don had to in 1990.

That is why I chose 1990. Don has cited the 1990 season as a rebuilding year. Heading into 2013, Dana cited the need to rebuild. IMO, that is apples to apples.

Been fun throwing your shit back in your face. Keep it real…

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I understand trying to compare Don's third year to Dana's third year, it is not comparing apples to apples in a true sense. Nehlen was given a great foundation from which to build… much thanks to Frank. Dana on the other hand, had little foundation, and has been left to build it…

Your kidding here, right? Nehlen took over a team who was 12-21 the three years before he was coach, had not sniffed a bowl game in 5 years, was losing to some of the worst teams in football. Holgorsen took over a team that had been to a bowl 9 years in a row, had won at least 9 games for 7 years, had a 27-12 record the three years prior to him being coach.

Nehlen's first three years 6-6, 9-3, 9-3
Holgorsen's first three years 10-3, 7-6, 4-8
see the trends????

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your kidding here, right? Nehlen took over a team who was 12-21 the three years before he was coach, had not sniffed a bowl game in 5 years, was losing to some of the worst teams in football. Holgorsen took over a team that had been to a bowl 9 years in a row, had won at least 9 games for 7 years, had a 27-12 record the three years prior to him being coach.

Nehlen's first three years 6-6, 9-3, 9-3
Holgorsen's first three years 10-3, 7-6, 4-8
see the trends????

You're kidding me right?

I am used to seeing trends...

6-6, 9-3, 9-3, 9-3
8-4, 7-3-1, 4-7
6-6, 11-1, 8-3-1, 4-7

Do you see the trends? Teams getting worse three years after a peak...

It is called rebuilding a program. Please tell me you understand this concept? Or, I cannot trust you anymore. Remember... what would Jesus do?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB, I am done arguing this point, we will see next year what the trend is. The season ending losses to two of the worst teams in CFB do not bode well. Nehlen is a HOF coach who had up and down seasons, so far I have seen only downs from Holgorsen.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB, I am done arguing this point, we will see next year what the trend is. The season ending losses to two of the worst teams in CFB do not bode well. Nehlen is a HOF coach who had up and down seasons, so far I have seen only downs from Holgorsen.

Simply compare the reason... I mean excuses... you make for Nehlen having a horrible season...or two...or three... to why Dana experienced a drop-off.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And one more thing DAD, while Don built a winning team out of Frank's recruits...you noted the problem...sometimes he struggled with recruiting. Without depth and inexperience, we saw some bad football.

The difference between Don and Dana in our current situation is Don was directly responsible for his recruiting issues. Dana has not been able to show what he can do with his recruits. He is not responsible for the lack of depth and experience he dealt with the past two seasons.

Even when Don had a really good team in 1984...the year they beat PSU...FINALLY... the team limped to its finish due to being decimated by injury and lack of depth. Sounds familiar to last year too...doesn't it?

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And one more thing DAD, while Don built a winning team out of Frank's recruits...you noted the problem...sometimes he struggled with recruiting. Without depth and inexperience, we saw some bad football.

The difference between Don and Dana in our current situation is Don was directly responsible for his recruiting issues. Dana has not been able to show what he can do with his recruits. He is not responsible for the lack of depth and experience he dealt with the past two seasons.

Even when Don had a really good team in 1984...the year they beat PSU...FINALLY... the team limped to its finish due to being decimated by injury and lack of depth. Sounds familiar to last year too...doesn't it?

And the funniest defense presented by Poppy was that Dandy Dan didn't have the facilities!!! Classic!! A new stadium and a piece of crap Shell Building back then, which is the same piece of crap Shell Building today. I'm a firm believer that Poppy not only talks through his arse, but does it for attention. He craves attention and seems to be lost in a point of time that many of us just continued moving along. When I hear a song that I like from the 80's being played, it brings me back to that period of my life, places a smile on my face (in most cases), and puts me in a better mood. Poppy's back to the future time machine is stuck somewhere and has not progressed to today. He doesn't remember the past to improve the future. His love of Stewart blinds him to the realities of today.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed out on this until now. How entertaining.

How does one define hypocrite. If dandy don did it it as rebuilding. If Dana does it, it is because of poor coaching.

Stewart deserved another year so we could see what he could do with his recruits, but Dana should not get that chance because he is a horrible coach.

He was done with holgy after the Texas game. Should have been done with Don after the Nebraska game.

nehlen could have taken Stewarts recruits recruits and walk ons and won a national championship .

Did I catch it all?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the funniest defense presented by Poppy was that Dandy Dan didn't have the facilities!!! Classic!! A new stadium and a piece of crap Shell Building back then, which is the same piece of crap Shell Building today. I'm a firm believer that Poppy not only talks through his arse, but does it for attention. He craves attention and seems to be lost in a point of time that many of us just continued moving along. When I hear a song that I like from the 80's being played, it brings me back to that period of my life, places a smile on my face (in most cases), and puts me in a better mood. Poppy's back to the future time machine is stuck somewhere and has not progressed to today. He doesn't remember the past to improve the future. His love of Stewart blinds him to the realities of today.

Mad, I will visit this thread one last time in response to this ridiculous post. Nehlen had no shell building in 1982, Rockefeller had to call all the state's high rollers together in 1980 to build the facilities building, as the football offices were going to be in trailers until Nehlen said if no proper offices and training facilities were built, he was going back to Ann Arbor. The stadium, as it was in 1980 was stands, and old style carpet, hardly what it is today. It is you and BB who are talking out your ass.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gary Patterson should be fired also, he has destroyed TCU, how many years did they dominate their conference ? TCU was 11-1 how many years? They may have even went undefeated a few years ago I think, I think they even won the Rose Bowl or something. It was amazing how this man just woke up one day after moving to the Big12 and forgot how to coach. I can not understand for the life of me how a coach that had the favorite to win the Big12 somehow lost to the team (WVU) at home who would go on to lose to the perennial bottom dwellers of the Big12. I can't understand why after all those winning season TCU had and Gary Patterson forgetting how to coach that their fans are not calling for his head?? How the hell can that be??

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mad, I will visit this thread one last time in response to this ridiculous post. Nehlen had no shell building in 1982, Rockefeller had to call all the state's high rollers together in 1980 to build the facilities building, as the football offices were going to be in trailers until Nehlen said if no proper offices and training facilities were built, he was going back to Ann Arbor. The stadium, as it was in 1980 was stands, and old style carpet, hardly what it is today. It is you and BB who are talking out your ass.

Poppy, show me when the Shell Building was constructed. Were you the project engineer who designed it, since having auxiliary practice facilities are not needed in your opinion? Nehlen started in 1980, I came to campus in '81. You say Nehlen had no Shell Building in '82 and would have gone back to Ann Arbor if no proper facilities were built! Really? The Shell Building was there during my tenure as I played hoops in it. And guess who was the HC when I was there. Dandy Don. So get your crap straight. Look what Turnbull had to do with your other buddy, Eddie P., in order to get space for the wrestlers. If Craig didn't have prints of what he would have liked, the wrestling program would still be in Stansbury.

The stadium for Nehlen back in 1980 was good for that time period. It beat the hell out of Pitt's stadium turf any day of the week. As time went on, things progress only when Eddie P's hands were forced. The one main constant, that piece of crap Shell Building. So yes, Poppy, Dandy Don had the Shell Building early in his tenure.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poppy, show me when the Shell Building was constructed. Were you the project engineer who designed it, since having auxiliary practice facilities are not needed in your opinion? Nehlen started in 1980, I came to campus in '81. You say Nehlen had no Shell Building in '82 and would have gone back to Ann Arbor if no proper facilities were built! Really? The Shell Building was there during my tenure as I played hoops in it. And guess who was the HC when I was there. Dandy Don. So get your crap straight. Look what Turnbull had to do with your other buddy, Eddie P., in order to get space for the wrestlers. If Craig didn't have prints of what he would have liked, the wrestling program would still be in Stansbury.

The stadium for Nehlen back in 1980 was good for that time period. It beat the hell out of Pitt's stadium turf any day of the week. As time went on, things progress only when Eddie P's hands were forced. The one main constant, that piece of crap Shell Building. So yes, Poppy, Dandy Don had the Shell Building early in his tenure.

It simply AMAZES me how you guys want to change history to try and make Holgorsen look better:
Tales from the West Virginia Mountaineers Sideline: A Collection of the ... - Don Nehlen - Google Books

Take a look at Nehlen's own words.

Caperton Indoor Facility - WVU Athletics

Take a look at the WVU athletic website

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Injuries were healed? Is that why we were starting 3 deep at LB?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3