• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A look at where we stand with recruiting after the Spring Game...

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sweating the Gators? What does that mean, for us old people?

I've heard alot of people say that he loves Florida and they are out in front by a wide margin. Of course, I've never read anything that indicates he's actually said that, but that is the feeling around.

It's still a ways away, so hopefully, UF has a crappy season and we have a great one to sway the chances.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've also heard that Richardson may have to prep after his senior year, which could open up his recruiting.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks man. I need to get up on my lingo. This seems like a weekly question from me, but who was "the big visitor" we hosted today? Also, it seems like we may pull in Cole afterall. He's one I'd really like. Seems like a proto-type Hokie for our schemes and defensive system. Really don't want to lose out on a local kid to Penn State either.

saltrules

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Thanks man. I need to get up on my lingo. This seems like a weekly question from me, but who was "the big visitor" we hosted today? Also, it seems like we may pull in Cole afterall. He's one I'd really like. Seems like a proto-type Hokie for our schemes and defensive system. Really don't want to lose out on a local kid to Penn State either.

Darius Jennings visited. He said he really liked it and his parents liked it, but I'm not getting my hopes up because he hasn't shown much interest in Tech. He's a great player with a very very impressive offer list and if we can somehow pull him in it would be great, but again I'm not holding my breath.

Also, as far as Grant. He has mentioned an official to Tech before, but hasn't set up an official date yet. He needs to get on campus for us to have a chance with him.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for the lingo. I looked at Grant's college tour pics and he has Bama, GT, Georgia and Florida posted. There are 2 posted of each school except Florida which he has about 6 of those with comments on how he enjoyed that visit, etc.

Hopefully he can set up a visit with Tech.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grant is so coy about his decision it is almost funny. I like the guy. He is just soaking it all in and giving half answers and smiles. He has a good, "happy go lucky" attitude it seems. I think he is playing to out of state schools just to see how they react. i still strongly feel he will end up in the commonwealth somewhere.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Travis Hughes Update

I found this article from two days ago:

Four-star linebacker Travis Hughes out of Virginia Beach (Va.) Kempsville made an unofficial visit this past weekend. The 6-foot-1, 228-pounder has plans for more trips in the near future.

“He went to Virginia and sat down with Coach Brown and Coach Reid,” Hughes’ father Tony said. “They had a powerpoint presentation for Travis where they showed him film from Reid’s time with the Miami Dolphins.

“Linebackers coach Vincent Brown sat down with him and he talked about how he was successful in the NFL, and how he can teach him linebacker skills. He also broke down Travis’ film and talked about how they’d utilize him in the whole scheme.

“They also emphasized how Travis is a playmaker and how he could bring more kids to the program like Curtis Grant and Demetrious Nicholson. But, they really showed how much sincerity they have in him and how they want him for the program.”

Hughes’ father believes Virginia has improved their standing due to the trip.

“Most definitely Virginia was a sleeper and they moved up.”

Meanwhile, North Carolina continues to stick out at the top of the list.

“We love North Carolina,” he said. “Even though there are some discussions going on about what’s happening there with the NCAA, we’re not looking at it as a negative. We’re going to see how the coaches handle this. I want my son to go to a school with no limitations. We’ll let the coaches at North Carolina handle it and we’ll see how it plays out.”

The current set of visits is done for Hughes, but he plans to head back out on the road in August.

“In the second week of August we’re going to Clemson on the 14th for two days,” he said. “We’d like to get back up to Tech and back to Maryland of course. Virginia and North Carolina may slide in there with visits as well.

“Then, we’ll take officials for games during the season. I know Travis wants to go to schools that are far away. LSU will be an official, probably Michigan and maybe Tennessee.”

As has been emphasized before, visits this fall will be critical in the Rivals250 prospect’s choice.

“It’s important for him to see the teams this season, so he can come into a program that has more of a national spotlight on it,” he said. “He’ll be able to slide into the lineup and come into a team that is coming off a great record in 2010, a team that is moving in the right direction.

“Any university he goes to he wants to get on the field and make it happen. He’s also looking at the educational experience, social life and a school that can take him to the next level. Who is going to take him there better? That’s what we have to look at.”

Hughes decision won’t be delayed too long as according to his father he is still on pace to decide midseason.

Hughes takes visit, set for more soon - Yahoo! Sports

This is very good for us. Regardless of how the UNC investigation plays out, the longer he waits, the better chance he can see this team play. If this team can get past Boise St, then its hard to not imagine them being undefeated entering the GT game. That would be a great thing to see for a recruit.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, we are the clear number 2 for Stephone Anthony who I had written off, behind Florida. They just got a big time transfer and the cupboards are full at that position in Gainsville so we may be able to pry him if we can get him to wait until the season starts. The UF investigations can only help.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also, we are the clear number 2 for Stephone Anthony who I had written off, behind Florida. They just got a big time transfer and the cupboards are full at that position in Gainsville so we may be able to pry him if we can get him to wait until the season starts. The UF investigations can only help.

What made us jump over Clemson? I had been hearing that it was UF as the clear leader with Clemson and Virginia Tech following in that order. I wonder what changed his mind.

I would love to land Anthony, but many UF guys feel that he is a UF lock at this point. Of course that could just be their logic in believing they are a leader for everyone they pursue. It would be huge to get him.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What made us jump over Clemson? I had been hearing that it was UF as the clear leader with Clemson and Virginia Tech following in that order. I wonder what changed his mind.

I would love to land Anthony, but many UF guys feel that he is a UF lock at this point. Of course that could just be their logic in believing they are a leader for everyone they pursue. It would be huge to get him.

It might have something to do with this guy:

barquell%20rivers.jpg

If we can get him up for a night game and let him hang with Rivers and sit with him in the locker room and meet Chase and Tariq and the boys he will be playing with, I think we can get him. It also wouldn't hurt if BQR had a monster game. Family ties....

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It might have something to do with this guy:

barquell%20rivers.jpg

If we can get him up for a night game and let him hang with Rivers and sit with him in the locker room and meet Chase and Tariq and the boys he will be playing with, I think we can get him. It also wouldn't hurt if BQR had a monster game. Family ties....

That makes sense, I know he was planning on spending time with BR this summer at VT so I'm glad he made an impression with him. If BR and VT have a great season, it'll be hard for him to say no even with UF out in front.

Just another prospect who's commitment will be contingent on our 2010 football success.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey 46,
Any idea if Hughes, Nicholson and some of our other targets have softened on UNC since the investigation? I've read elsewhere that Butchie himself has told recruits UNC is about to get the hammer dropped on them.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd think he'd want to schedule a visit when the coaches, players, etc will be around....oh well, hope he enjoys himself

nevermind, just read through and realized it was last saturday he was there

"Tech can do themselves a favor if they come out and shut down ECU this weekend with a strong defensive performance. "

wonder how it went

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad - should have said last Saturday and not this Saturday.

I haven't found anything yet on how it went. If I do, I will post it for sure.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is my understanding that he really enjoyed the visit. I think he saw that early playing time would be easier to come by than he originally thought. From the sounds of things, it looks like we have improved to No. 2 for now, behind Clemson. His parents don't want him going too far away, so that could help.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hughes took his official this past weekend and enjoyed it a lot. He has soured pretty heavily on UNC and now it seems like Tech, Clemson and UVA are the front runners. Much like Grant, however, he is pretty savvy in what he says. He was hosted by Lyndell Gibson (whose job he could probably walk in and take, ha ha) and seemed high on the visit. He is very high on Beamer and loved the way he handled all of the bad press. Hughes is always starry eyed after visitis. This is why I wish we had gotten his last official, but he can still come up on an unofficial. I can not get a read on him but I do feel like he and Nicholson are heading somewhere together.

Nicholson = absolutely no vibes on that one

Stephone Anthony also made an unoffical visit at the ECU game and had a fantastic time. he talked with the coaches and players and hung out with his cousin (Barquell Rivers). He calls VT and Florida favorites for now, but says he has not been back to UF in a while. He will be going this weekend for the Kentucky game. That visit will tell us a lot with him. Rivers is a good recruiting player for us and he, along with Anthony's love of the coaches and facilities may make him the big coup this season. He is a perfect fit at Whip, where he could see playing time from day 1.

Grant is all but a UF verbal, however he is taking his visits. Apparently only one team could keep him out of Gainesville, and it ain't UVA ;)

Also this weekend, LT came by and loved it. He is a heavy heavy lean and, in my opinion, is only taking some trips to ND and WVU for the fun involved. I am almost certain he is all hokie.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Still a ways to go with Grant. Just have to be patient with him.