• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A look at where we stand with recruiting after the Spring Game...

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest news is Watford isn't as big as a VT lean as before. I still feel like we pull him in, but if we don't we need to pursue Throughgood. I've just given up on Williams right now because all inside info says UNC.

Also, HUGE recruiting news just came in and says Landon Turner will decide Sunday at 1 p.m. at Harrisonburg High. I've always liked our chances with him, but the timing isn't great. He just visited UNC last weekend and UNC is filling up their OT positions fast. They might have pressed on Landon to decide quickly or they might not have a spot for him. This will set the tone for the rest of class IMO. Losing him would be devastating, especially considering UNC already took our other star o-lineman earlier. I'm crossing my fingers on this one.

Turner = UNC
Watford = UVA
Williams = UNC

(my predictions for the weekend)

I am still not overly concerned with the quarterback position as I think that Leal and Young are head and shoulders above this crop and would have been easy 4 stars in this class of quarterbacks. Williams, Watford and Thoroughgood all have serious flaws and need a lot of development at the next level. Leal and Young did not have these flaws.

saltrules

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yea it sucks.. The only good news this weekend was we are back in it for Hughes. I'd probably say we are in the lead now or are co-leader for Hughes. I'm starting to like our chances more with him.

Also, Cyrus Koujando (don't feel like checking spelling) said his visit to tech was good too. The only thing that made me mad though was the doors to the architecture building were locked. Come on Beamer you got a 5 star top 10 ranked kid in the nation visiting your school and you don't have enough pull to get the architecture building unlocked?!?! That's probably the one thing that could really help us with CK, being the top ranked architecture school in the nation and we need to show him as much as possible about it.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the status on Nicholson? I am hearing people say he is leaning towards UNC but I am not finding / reading anything that makes me believe that. Also does anyone know when he will decide or if he has a firm date?

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yea it sucks.. The only good news this weekend was we are back in it for Hughes. I'd probably say we are in the lead now or are co-leader for Hughes. I'm starting to like our chances more with him.

Also, Cyrus Koujando (don't feel like checking spelling) said his visit to tech was good too. The only thing that made me mad though was the doors to the architecture building were locked. Come on Beamer you got a 5 star top 10 ranked kid in the nation visiting your school and you don't have enough pull to get the architecture building unlocked?!?! That's probably the one thing that could really help us with CK, being the top ranked architecture school in the nation and we need to show him as much as possible about it.

I don't think there was anything that Beamer could have done for the architecture building fiasco since it was an unofficial visit. I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard.

Either way, its great to get the kid on campus and it seems he enjoyed himself. It sounds like Kris Harley is selling VT hard to future recruits too, which is great.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who was the "big visitor" VT had on campus today? Also, it sounds as if Bud did a great job of impressing Hughes and his family this weekend.

saltrules

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So who was the "big visitor" VT had on campus today? Also, it sounds as if Bud did a great job of impressing Hughes and his family this weekend.

I really wouldn't call it a huge visitor, but Michael Cole visited. It seemed like he liked the visit somewhat and he's going to decide on August 2nd between Penn State and VT. The kid is very concerned with academics and is really basing his decision off that. I'm putting my money on Penn State.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wouldn't call it a huge visitor, but Michael Cole visited. It seemed like he liked the visit somewhat and he's going to decide on August 2nd between Penn State and VT. The kid is very concerned with academics and is really basing his decision off that. I'm putting my money on Penn State.

Agreed on all counts. I really hope that his family proximity to Blacksburg and the new medical.school sway him however as I see him as a perfect fit for the good guys.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you guys think we have a realistic shot with OL Mack Crowder? From everything I've heard, I've always thought he was a UT lock. I've heard some rumblings lately that we've got at least a fighter's chance, however.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you guys think we have a realistic shot with OL Mack Crowder? From everything I've heard, I've always thought he was a UT lock. I've heard some rumblings lately that we've got at least a fighter's chance, however.

We have a shot, if we push him a little bit. UT has had three coaching staffs over the last three years. Sell that. They need to get off their asses and press these kids a little bit though.

-

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK guys, have to ask, why all the silence about the UNC situation? From recent tweets by Stewart Mandel and other articles starting to pop up, it's sounding more and more like UNC may be in some MAJOR doo doo. Don't know what effect this will have as far as recruiting, those that have already committed to UNC, and those they we are battling against them currently. At the very least I would have to say the mere presence of the NCAA on campus, in the wake of the USC scandal, would have to make recruits think twice, and kill whatever recruiting momentum they've built.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK guys, have to ask, why all the silence about the UNC situation? From recent tweets by Stewart Mandel and other articles starting to pop up, it's sounding more and more like UNC may be in some MAJOR doo doo. Don't know what effect this will have as far as recruiting, those that have already committed to UNC, and those they we are battling against them currently. At the very least I would have to say the mere presence of the NCAA on campus, in the wake of the USC scandal, would have to make recruits think twice, and kill whatever recruiting momentum they've built.

Check the general discussion board, I posted something about it over there. Until the dust settles, i do not know what to think. It can't hurt us with Nicholson and Hughes though, thats for sure.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just picked up a commitment from Dewayne Alford,
listed as 6-3, 220-lb. DE from Nansemond River HS in Suffolk. Don't know anything about this kid. Considering it looked like we'd already filled our slots for DL in this class, he must be another "Diamond in the Rough" type that the coaching staff loves.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We just picked up a commitment from Dewayne Alford,
listed as 6-3, 220-lb. DE from Nansemond River HS in Suffolk. Don't know anything about this kid. Considering it looked like we'd already filled our slots for DL in this class, he must be another "Diamond in the Rough" type that the coaching staff loves.

He's a greyshirt offer and won't enroll until January 2012 with Hall. He wont' count towards this class.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have liked this kid for a while and wanted us to offer him a full scholly. He had already bulked up when he showed up at the most recent camp. He is versatile too. I could see him as an end or a backer. His film reminds me of James Anderson. He is a typical vt kid. He is long with room to add bulk and FAST. Mike Gentry will enjoy him. He and Hall both were guys that I was high on.

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I happened to look at UVa's recruiting and I have to admit, I freaked out for a sec. Twenty commits? Most of which seem to be pretty decent - wtf? I know we had limited schollies to give out but wtf are we doing here? How is London able to sell the dream with a school that is a laughing stock of the ACC right now and we can barely manage to pull 3 star recruits in? Sorry for the rant - but that really ticked me off when I saw this...

Virginia Football Recruiting 2011 - ESPN

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So I happened to look at UVa's recruiting and I have to admit, I freaked out for a sec. Twenty commits? Most of which seem to be pretty decent - wtf? I know we had limited schollies to give out but wtf are we doing here? How is London able to sell the dream with a school that is a laughing stock of the ACC right now and we can barely manage to pull 3 star recruits in? Sorry for the rant - but that really ticked me off when I saw this...

UVA is in a great situation for alot of these kids. (A) They can sell early playing time with (B) the hype of a new program. Those two with the fact that VT has limited spots means that they can get guys that we didn't offer this year, though we most likely would in a normal year.

We on the other hand, are waiting on guys who are higher up on our board, players that will wait past the summer and until NSD to announce. We're taking a chance by waiting on them, but its something that we have to do. We're trying to balance that out by offering greyshirt offers to players, but that can be risky too, as those players are risks in actually making a difference on the team.

So while it may seem that UVA is killing us this year in recruiting, you have to understand that we're all in on top recruits. So far we've had mixed results by waiting, but its a necessary risk if we want to get to the next level as a program.

Next year, we should see a return to a normal recruiting class. We've done well thus far, but can do alot better if we can close out on the top guys.

saltrules

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

First off, I never trust ESPN football rankings. Rivals is a lot more informed in football recruiting rankings. I mean, they have David Dean as a 4*.... The guy has offers from Virginia, Duke, Louisville, and WVU.

Also, I'm not worried at all that UVA is getting the class they are getting. VT only really pursued Watford and Mack in the current UVA class. Phelps was all UVA from the get go and we never really had a shot with him. Richardson was a little bit of a loss, but he wants to play RB and we are stacked at the position at the time. The only time I would actually get somewhat worried about the UVA class is if they land Grant. That would be a huge loss.

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, I never trust ESPN football rankings. Rivals is a lot more informed in football recruiting rankings. I mean, they have David Dean as a 4*.... The guy has offers from Virginia, Duke, Louisville, and WVU.

Also, I'm not worried at all that UVA is getting the class they are getting. VT only really pursued Watford and Mack in the current UVA class. Phelps was all UVA from the get go and we never really had a shot with him. Richardson was a little bit of a loss, but he wants to play RB and we are stacked at the position at the time. The only time I would actually get somewhat worried about the UVA class is if they land Grant. That would be a huge loss.

I hear ya - as you can tell I am not really a recruiting guru. It was just something that made me a little sick to my stomach when I saw it. :)

As far as Grant, I actually have him as a FB friend and he appears to be sweating the Gators a bit. Do you know when his official visit to Tech is or if he has one planned?

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweating the Gators? What does that mean, for us old people?