• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said before, I'll settle for middle-of-the-pack pitching from the Tigers this year. Cleveland has to lean on their staff being successful a lot more.

Agreed, but again, conversely, Detroit has to lean on their lineup being successful a lot more.

The Indians had possibly the best pitching staff in baseball last year and an average lineup and there's reason to believe their lineup will preform better this year.

*edit - I meant best staff in the AL, not baseball.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think JD Martinez is the real deal

He came up as a stud for the Stros, and just seems like one of those late Bloomers

If Im the Tigers, thats the guy im least concerned with
Yeah, I don't think there is much doubt now. Just looks like a late bloomer. Still hard to separate the god awful version of him in Houston to the one we're seeing in Detroit.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miggy has not hit 30 for 2 years but I gotta say i think he would be a better candidate to hit 30 based on his history.

Cabrera missed 6 weeks last season, and played on one good foot for the entire second half of 2014. J.D. has had no such injury history and is 4 years younger.

J.D. has only done it once because he was not a full-time MLB player until one month into 2014. Admittedly a late bloomer, but the past two seasons are proof enough for me. Perhaps because I see him hit every day (at least on TV), and you don't.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit has no plan....because they have no minor league prospects to plan a future around. The build a team much like you go shopping at a supermarket. Grab something off the shelf as you go up and down each aisle. I even agree with Vice about Mike Avila...unless he is a SUPER clubhouse guy, he was not needed. I am sure Pelfry was signed because some scout/front office guy had a ''feeling'' about him. I can just hear it..."Boyd didn't show much, let's grab Pelfry."
LOL... seriously... when you attempt to talk baseball you spew some crazy shit.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slinky is very knowledgeable about baseball ... and even though he's a dick ... I like him.
are you one of those guys that created a profile and tells everyone he is a chick or are you actually a female?

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't think there is much doubt now. Just looks like a late bloomer. Still hard to separate the god awful version of him in Houston to the one we're seeing in Detroit.

His approach to hitting changed greatly. He was too pull-happy early in his career. I'd bet nearly half of his HR were to right field last year.

Catwoman

Purrrrrrrrrr
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are you one of those guys that created a profile and tells everyone he is a chick or are you actually a female?

Hahaha!!! Exactly what Slinky said when we first met at FanNation 7 years ago! I'll let you make up your own mind.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but again, conversely, Detroit has to lean on their lineup being successful a lot more.

The Indians had possibly the best pitching staff in baseball last year and an average lineup and there's reason to believe their lineup will preform better this year.

*edit - I meant best staff in the AL, not baseball.
there is a real chance the Tigers will have the best lineup in baseball to lean on.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he completely changed his swing.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i actually wouldn't mind if you kicked the bucket old man... that would actually bring a smile to my face.

Vice, I think the only thing that puts a smile on your face is typing the word 'd - i - c - k' on your keyboard since you seem to do it several dozen times a day.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit has no plan....because they have no minor league prospects to plan a future around. The build a team much like you go shopping at a supermarket. Grab something off the shelf as you go up and down each aisle. I even agree with Vice about Mike Avila...unless he is a SUPER clubhouse guy, he was not needed. I am sure Pelfry was signed because some scout/front office guy had a ''feeling'' about him. I can just hear it..."Boyd didn't show much, let's grab Pelfry."
at some point they are going to get very very top heavy like the yanks did....years of depleting the farm system and signing guys to expensive long term deals will catch up.

The Tigers and Indians are pretty close talent wise overall right now in my opinion- but that gap is just going to increase over the next couple years due to the disparity in farm systems, and the aging of Detroit's core players that will still be signed up.

I mean- the advantage of having Carrasco signed for like 5 years at like 48 million is just HUGE...same with Kluber--- Salazar isnt going anywhere....Brantely i belive has 3 more years left (or maybe 2) at like 8 million a year or something, Lindor is here for 6 more years before he is a free agent, Kipnis is signed long term at like less than 10M a year....

all that cost certainty, and talent helps---not only that but i think Zimmer and Aiken are going to be high level players that are going to be very cheap once they come up - probably not this year- but probably next year

Its extremely hard to put together a well rounded roster when you are giving a ton of big money to guys over 30 and your farm system is one of the poorer ones around...

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha!!! Exactly what Slinky said when we first met at FanNation 7 years ago! I'll let you make up your own mind.
slinky doesn't like me because i challenge his place as dominant keyboard typer here. i think he secretly wants to be me.