• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

a good read about the "game of the century"

Uman5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Yes, let's please stop with the game of the century crap. Sure it was a game with two very good teams in a defensive struggle. But it was no where near best of the century worthy. Maybe in the 150-200 area. ;-)

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually enjoyed the game but I was a defensive player. I thought that every play had an urgency to it that I have not seen in a while. The last time that I saw a game so tightly played was VT = aTm in College Station. It just seemed like the next score would end the game at any point.

Uman5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I actually enjoyed the game but I was a defensive player. I thought that every play had an urgency to it that I have not seen in a while. The last time that I saw a game so tightly played was VT = aTm in College Station. It just seemed like the next score would end the game at any point.

Same here. But the Miami/VT game this year was a better game. At least there was a glimmer of O.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

which was a far better game than this one.

I enjoyed it too...i just have to laugh at all the hype that was built up for it.

and yeah the Miami/VT game this years was light years better than the LSU/Bama game

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was enjoyable but it was a slew of broken plays, missed assignments, missed tackles and horrific officiating (both ways). Give me a low scoring, well played game any day over that.

this is what stood out the most to me. For such good teams there were a lot of mistakes made. With all of the missed assignment/miscommunication I cant believe there were only 15 points scored.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game of the century was Texas/USC

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the media.

The media hypes the game as "game of the century" and then the media complains that they were wrong.......LOL!

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the media.

The media hypes the game as "game of the century" and then the media complains that they were wrong.......LOL!

the ones that i have seen havent complained so much about them being wrong....ive just seen the articles taking more of a "dear god, no snooze fest rematch championship game that would complete bullshit anyways" stance

CalvinJohnson4God

Time to die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't there a TD on that play?

Yes. Normally, "missed" calls that people referred to actually had an effect on the game though. Like a BS pass interference call on 4th down, giving a team a 5th down (LOL, Colorado), or.... I don't know.... something that actually had a significant effect on the game because it gave a team a chance to score that they wouldn't have had otherwise, or gave the wrong team possession of the ball.

If they had whistled VY down on that play... effect would it have had? Instead of a TD, 1st and goal? Texas was flying down the field on that drive, too. It seems like, if anything, the result would have been that Texas would have won by more (because USC would have had less time to respond before the end of the half).

Last edited by a moderator:

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it is the B1G fan in me, but I thought that was one of the best five games of the year. It was infinitely better than the much praised Michigan-Notre Dame game which featured two teams beating themselves. There were some mistakes in the Bama-LSU game, but there were a ton of great defensive plays that made it a good watch.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it is the B1G fan in me, but I thought that was one of the best five games of the year. It was infinitely better than the much praised Michigan-Notre Dame game which featured two teams beating themselves. There were some mistakes in the Bama-LSU game, but there were a ton of great defensive plays that made it a good watch.

obviously, I enjoyed the fuck out of it....but I can see that an unattached viewer may feel jilted with all the pre-game hype unless they really love watching a defensive battle....

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was infinitely better than the much praised Michigan-Notre Dame game which featured two teams beating themselves. There were some mistakes in the Bama-LSU game, but there were a ton of great defensive plays that made it a good watch.

I agree. Sloppy high scoring games don't equal good. They equal sloppy high scoring games. These offenses were not playing bad. Conservatively yes but not bad. These were two good defenses.