• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Few Notable Remaining Unrestricted Free Agents

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
upload_2017-7-19_14-28-8.jpeg
1) Deron Williams, G, Cleveland Cavaliers
  • Outlook: Looked disinterested at times playing such a marginal role in Cleveland. Averaged 13.1 points and 6.9 assists per game in 40 starts for the Mavs prior to being bought out after the trade deadline. Still a lot of talent in play for teams in need of a spot-starter at the point.
  • Possible Destinations: New York, Denver.
2) Gerald Henderson, SG, Philadelphia 76ers
  • Outlook: An athletic two-guard with a solid defensive reputation and good mid-range game. The one significant downside to his skill set, however, is his lack of positional versatility.
  • Possible Destinations: Boston, Oklahoma City.
3) Brandon Bass, PF Los Angeles Clippers
  • Outlook: An athletic big who can bang inside, make plays at the rim, and knock down the mid-range shot. A little surprising that Boston has not looked more into bringing him back after losing Olynyk, Jerebko, and Amir Johnson in their efforts to clear cap space for the addition of Gordon Hayward.
  • Possible Destinations: Boston, Dallas.
4) Andrew Bogut, C, Cleveland Cavaliers
  • Outlook: Still an elite rim protector when healthy, and averaged over eight rebounds per game as a part-time player with the Mavs last season. One of the most injury-prone players in the NBA. That being said, if he could settle in as a backup center some place, it would decrease (at least somewhat) the likelihood of him getting hurt yet again.
  • Possible Destinations: Cleveland, San Antonio.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Deron Williams, G, Cleveland Cavaliers
  • Outlook: Looked disinterested at times playing such a marginal role in Cleveland. Averaged 13.1 points and 6.9 assists per game in 40 starts for the Mavs prior to being bought out after the trade deadline. Still a lot of talent in play for teams in need of a spot-starter at the point.
  • Possible Destinations: New York, Denver.
2) Gerald Henderson, SG, Philadelphia 76ers
  • Outlook: An athletic two-guard with a solid defensive reputation and good mid-range game. The one significant downside to his skill set, however, is his lack of positional versatility.
  • Possible Destinations: Boston, Oklahoma City.
3) Brandon Bass, PF Los Angeles Clippers
  • Outlook: An athletic big who can bang inside, make plays at the rim, and knock down the mid-range shot. A little surprising that Boston has not looked more into bringing him back after losing Olynyk, Jerebko, and Amir Johnson in their efforts to clear cap space for the addition of Gordon Hayward.
  • Possible Destinations: Boston, Dallas.
4) Andrew Bogut, C, Cleveland Cavaliers
  • Outlook: Still an elite rim protector when healthy, and averaged over eight rebounds per game as a part-time player with the Mavs last season. One of the most injury-prone players in the NBA. That being said, if he could settle in as a backup center some place, it would decrease (at least somewhat) the likelihood of him getting hurt yet again.
  • Possible Destinations: Cleveland, San Antonio.

Weird to say, but Javale McGee is a better option than all of the above. What a time to be alive....

But in all seriousness, Bogut is probably the only real player I would take a look at of all these. He's injury prone and will need reduced minutes, but he still impacts the game in a very positive way when he's on the court. D-Will is washed up which was evident last year. Henderson is probably ok, but there's a lot of talent out there at the SG position in the D-League and would rather take a flier on someone to develop. Bass is pretty washed too.

Couple of interesting names to me in the UFA market that are still unsigned are:

1) Ian Clark - He's coming off his best year and one of the best, if not the best, shooter left on the market. He can help a team immediately off the bench with his scoring. Defense has also improved, but still suspect and a bit undersized. Best paired with another big guard.

2) Donatas Motiejunas - He's been injury plagued the last two years which is why his numbers are down, imo. He's a 7 footer, who has a lot of talent with the ability to score inside and out. The problem for him will be defensively, but as a back up big, you could do a lot worse if he's fully healthy.

3) Mo Speights - Had a pretty decent year with the Clippers last year. He is what he is, a SG in a PF's body. But teams could always use stretch 4's or 5's and I'd be surprised if a team didn't swoop him up shortly.

4) Shabazz Muhammad - He's a pretty big black hole, but with the right environment I think he could be a really useful scorer off the bench. He spent his entire career in Minnesota where they've had bad teams and he was just used to gunning. If a team can get him to harness his talent, he could potentially be a nice 8th man off the bench for a team.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deron is done IMO, at least in terms of being a difference-maker. He looked pretty bad last year.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bogut's a good player but that injury history is very concerning. Can't see him signing anywhere for a big amount.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weird to say, but Javale McGee is a better option than all of the above. What a time to be alive....

But in all seriousness, Bogut is probably the only real player I would take a look at of all these. He's injury prone and will need reduced minutes, but he still impacts the game in a very positive way when he's on the court. D-Will is washed up which was evident last year. Henderson is probably ok, but there's a lot of talent out there at the SG position in the D-League and would rather take a flier on someone to develop. Bass is pretty washed too.

Couple of interesting names to me in the UFA market that are still unsigned are:

1) Ian Clark - He's coming off his best year and one of the best, if not the best, shooter left on the market. He can help a team immediately off the bench with his scoring. Defense has also improved, but still suspect and a bit undersized. Best paired with another big guard.

2) Donatas Motiejunas - He's been injury plagued the last two years which is why his numbers are down, imo. He's a 7 footer, who has a lot of talent with the ability to score inside and out. The problem for him will be defensively, but as a back up big, you could do a lot worse if he's fully healthy.

3) Mo Speights - Had a pretty decent year with the Clippers last year. He is what he is, a SG in a PF's body. But teams could always use stretch 4's or 5's and I'd be surprised if a team didn't swoop him up shortly.

4) Shabazz Muhammad - He's a pretty big black hole, but with the right environment I think he could be a really useful scorer off the bench. He spent his entire career in Minnesota where they've had bad teams and he was just used to gunning. If a team can get him to harness his talent, he could potentially be a nice 8th man off the bench for a team.

I wouldn't want JaVale McGee on a rebuilding roster. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say if he leaves that system in GS he will return to old habits.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't want JaVale McGee on a rebuilding roster. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say if he leaves that system in GS he will return to old habits.

Better be a big limb, you'll have company. That kid needs to be on a winning team with a strong culture and veterans.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better be a big limb, you'll have company. That kid needs to be on a winning team with a strong culture and veterans.

Yeah, not exactly thinking outside of the box on that one. We've all talked about why McGee's successful on the Warriors compared to his other stops. Him going to a team like the Kings or Nets for more money would obviously be a disaster.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, not exactly thinking outside of the box on that one. We've all talked about why McGee's successful on the Warriors compared to his other stops. Him going to a team like the Kings or Nets for more money would obviously be a disaster.

Does not look like those teams are offering that money anyway. Could be a moot point.