• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: #9 Washington @ Stanford (7:30 PST | FS1)

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparently the Huskie D/penalties is on the hot seat now…i would expect to hear today that OC JS failed to score 50 on the PACs 2nd best D team tho.
Really isn't the time for this nonsense Wallace.

I had to go pickup my daughter late last night and caught part of the post game on the radio. Every single caller wants JS ran out of town, and even the commentators that are normally in his camp placed a ton of blame right at his feet.

Smith was utter and complete garbage.

Again.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith was utter and complete garbage.

Again.

i could care less whiz…nothing about your D last night? They stunk up the farm and Shaw was balanced on his offensive side, something Washington simply over-looked in game-planning.

yeah, fire the OC to hide the real reasons for losing.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm telling you, I play poker every Friday night, and every big game we've watched at the card game on Friday night has been an upset.

Washington State over USC
Arizona State over Washington
Cal over Washington State
Syracuse over Clemson
Stanford over Washington

Saw this one coming a mile away.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i could care less whiz…nothing about your D last night? They stunk up the farm and Shaw was balanced on his offensive side, something Washington simply over-looked in game-planning.

Even the fvcking announcers calling the game said UW's offense went flat and couldn't sustain a drive. You're the only person who watched that game and saw it differently.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:L

First of all, if you bothered to read what was said last night there was blame put on everyone. Petersen, JS, Browning, Defense, all of it.

Second, it's football 101 against a tough ground team that you can't do 3 n outs. UW had like 7 or 8 plays in the 3rd quarter? That kills your defense. Stanford dominated the TOP and that's on the offense.

Balance? They did great during the scripted part of their night. After that they made really stupid play calls often. 3rd and 1 to Gaskin up the middle? How about your bruising back that trucks guys?

There was no sense of urgency late down two scores. Their tempo was bad. They blew a lot of time in the drive they ended up scoring on. You watch that 4th quarter and even the radio guys that normally give him a pass were at a loss for words on why they ran things that way. He has ZERO support in this city right now by anyone.

None of that says there weren't other issues. It doesn't give him a free pass for the glaring issues he once again has doing the basics of his job.

Mush

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,309.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW will never be a real title threat with JS as the OC. Thats a fact.

However, the d got rolled lastnight. I dont expect much from smith, hes a dumbass. When UW goes on the road the d needs to be ready. Good teams win road games and their strengths carry them. They werent, they didnt.

Still, as far as I'm concerned UW is 38-3 on the season. :suds:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm telling you, I play poker every Friday night, and every big game we've watched at the card game on Friday night has been an upset.

Washington State over USC
Arizona State over Washington
Cal over Washington State
Syracuse over Clemson
Stanford over Washington

Saw this one coming a mile away.
There was nothing about it that surprised anyone up here. Expected better defense, but got about what you thought you would on offense with that garbage play caller. Talked all week about how it didn't stack up well. 10 years since a win there, road favorites losing on friday night games, Stanford coming off a loss where they were embarrassed and how frequently they bounce back after such a game.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW will never be a real title threat with JS as the OC. Thats a fact.

However, the d got rolled lastnight. I dont expect much from smith, hes a dumbass. When UW goes on the road the d needs to be ready. Good teams win road games and their strengths carry them. They werent, they didnt.

Still, as far as I'm concerned UW is 38-3 on the season. :suds:
They have to beat WSU big to salvage the season. Double digit wins and wins over their rivals will make this one easier to stomach.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

First of all, if you bothered to read what was said last night there was blame put on everyone. Petersen, JS, Browning, Defense, all of it.

Second, it's football 101 against a tough ground team that you can't do 3 n outs. UW had like 7 or 8 plays in the 3rd quarter? That kills your defense. Stanford dominated the TOP and that's on the offense.

Balance? They did great during the scripted part of their night. After that they made really stupid play calls often. 3rd and 1 to Gaskin up the middle? How about your bruising back that trucks guys?

There was no sense of urgency late down two scores. Their tempo was bad. They blew a lot of time in the drive they ended up scoring on. You watch that 4th quarter and even the radio guys that normally give him a pass were at a loss for words on why they ran things that way. He has ZERO support in this city right now by anyone.

None of that says there weren't other issues. It doesn't give him a free pass for the glaring issues he once again has doing the basics of his job.

gaskin ran amuck in the 1st halter whiz…what did he run for in the 1st half?

what did JS start the 2nd half with?

i will give you the "bruising back" tho…but if you do that, tendencies begin to show. Browning flat out missed open guys as well.

perhaps i will re-visit the game highlight in the 2nd halter again.

Stanford is a beast and have been for years under Shaw…thought it was a great PAC after Dark ballgame. Your still in the mix for the PAC championship game. Let this go. Shaw's game plan to mix the passing game with the 1 dimensional run game was brilliant. Give that team props for execution.

BTW…your nose guard on D is awesome. He will be playing on sundays soon.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gaskin ran amuck in the 1st halter whiz…what did he run for in the 1st half?

what did JS start the 2nd half with?

i will give you the "bruising back" tho…but if you do that, tendencies begin to show. Browning flat out missed open guys as well.

perhaps i will re-visit the game highlight in the 2nd halter again.

Stanford is a beast and have been for years under Shaw…thought it was a great PAC after Dark ballgame. Your still in the mix for the PAC championship game. Let this go. Shaw's game plan to mix the passing game with the 1 dimensional run game was brilliant. Give that team props for execution.

BTW…your nose guard on D is awesome. He will be playing on sundays soon.
Tendencies? Stanford didn't do anything you didn't expect, they just executed and they called the game well.

You have a bruiser to get you 1y when you have to have it. They have one. And don't know how/when to use it. Coleman ran over a guy last night that had to be hauled off the field. He gets you tough yards.

The first two drives last night they had tempo and kept Stanford off balance. Then they dropped the tempo and stopped moving the ball. Does it take a rocket scientist to maybe try some tempo at some point after that?

Again, everyone has said the team was out played and out coached on both sides of the ball. No one is without blood on their hands. The reason you see so much about Smith is this comes up with him a LOT more than the other failures last night. That's not giving a pass to anyone else. An upgrade at OC would go a long way to fixing the glaring issues this team has on the road. They are able to compensate for it at home, but this offense is just flat out killing this team away from home. And has been his entire tenure.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so get a new OC and then make more excuses when your offense fails…again.

Beau Baldwin approved reply.
It's kids we are talking about. But it's easy to tell the difference between kids failing to execute a good play, the defense just doing a better job against that play, and having plays that didn't give you a chance to begin with.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tendencies? Stanford didn't do anything you didn't expect, they just executed and they called the game well.

You have a bruiser to get you 1y when you have to have it. They have one. And don't know how/when to use it. Coleman ran over a guy last night that had to be hauled off the field. He gets you tough yards.

The first two drives last night they had tempo and kept Stanford off balance. Then they dropped the tempo and stopped moving the ball. Does it take a rocket scientist to maybe try some tempo at some point after that?

Again, everyone has said the team was out played and out coached on both sides of the ball. No one is without blood on their hands. The reason you see so much about Smith is this comes up with him a LOT more than the other failures last night. That's not giving a pass to anyone else. An upgrade at OC would go a long way to fixing the glaring issues this team has on the road. They are able to compensate for it at home, but this offense is just flat out killing this team away from home. And has been his entire tenure.

Tempo is easy at the beginning of the game because you can script your first ten to fifteen plays ahead of time and just run them. After the first series it's not as easy to run tempo like you did to start the game because you have to call in the plays depending on down and distance and unless you're Oregon with Chip and run tempo all the time it still takes a bit of time to get plays called and all the players knowing what play to run.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's kids we are talking about. But it's easy to tell the difference between kids failing to execute a good play, the defense just doing a better job against that play, and having plays that didn't give you a chance to begin with.

i couldn't agree more with you here whiz, i am currently support my teams kids even tho the "Ls" are mounting…expectations are meant to fall short.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tempo is easy at the beginning of the game because you can script your first ten to fifteen plays ahead of time and just run them. After the first series it's not as easy to run tempo like you did to start the game because you have to call in the plays depending on down and distance and unless you're Oregon with Chip and run tempo all the time it still takes a bit of time to get plays called and all the players knowing what play to run.
I didn't say run it full time. They have mixed in quick snaps and hurry up in other games. They have it in their bag. Running up tempo does drastically reduce the available plays and gives you no ability to make chances at the line or reset protections, but it keeps the defense on their heels and doesn't allow them to substitute or make their own adjustments.

There were several times where a quick play on 3rd would have worked way better than what they ended up calling.

No one that isn't a blinded homer can watch that game and think the play calling was up to par.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say run it full time. They have mixed in quick snaps and hurry up in other games. They have it in their bag. Running up tempo does drastically reduce the available plays and gives you no ability to make chances at the line or reset protections, but it keeps the defense on their heels and doesn't allow them to substitute or make their own adjustments.

There were several times where a quick play on 3rd would have worked way better than what they ended up calling.

No one that isn't a blinded homer can watch that game and think the play calling was up to par.

I had no dog in that fight and was leaning more towards the Huskys if I had to pick but here's what I saw.
Stanford went to their tall receivers on critical 3rd downs and UW DBs were physically outmatched.
Once Stanford realized Browning isn't going to kill them deep they started crowding the line.
UW receivers dropped too many balls that were catchable.
Big adjustment for Stanford in the second half was to have a defender come wide to Brownings right so when he flushed out that way he didn't have the time and ability to hit receivers who had shaken loose. Browning killed them with that in the first half.
In the 4th UW was never really in a hurry. So weird because they were down only two scores.
Oh and Pettis is a weapon on punt returns but as a WR he's not a game changer. He was no where most of the game and not even a threat to burn Stanford deep.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had no dog in that fight and was leaning more towards the Huskys if I had to pick but here's what I saw.
Stanford went to their tall receivers on critical 3rd downs and UW DBs were physically outmatched.
Once Stanford realized Browning isn't going to kill them deep they started crowding the line.
UW receivers dropped too many balls that were catchable.
Big adjustment for Stanford in the second half was to have a defender come wide to Brownings right so when he flushed out that way he didn't have the time and ability to hit receivers who had shaken loose. Browning killed them with that in the first half.
In the 4th UW was never really in a hurry. So weird because they were down only two scores.
Oh and Pettis is a weapon on punt returns but as a WR he's not a game changer. He was no where most of the game and not even a threat to burn Stanford deep.
Tired of typing things out twice.
Last Night....

This comes up over and over and over again without changes being made. This is on Petersen. You can't keep having the same issues in every road game and not do something about it.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plain and simple, the Huskies shit the bed.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw @stanford the manford congrats to your Tree's tonight. They played solid ball ... like really solid.

DOVhW8oUQAADxdN.jpg

weird team, at times we can look good, other times completely inept. proves again the pac is always competitive, maybe not good, but competitive.
wonder how the fs2 viewing numbers came out .... :gaah: