• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: #9 Nebraska @ Indiana

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eh, would've much rather looked at the cheerleaders.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our O-line played pretty bad yesterday outside of the fourth quarter drive. Not sure what it is about the 4th quarter when we NEED one of those 7-8 minute scoring drives, but they have really stepped up this year. Now we just need them to do that all game long, rather than just when there was no other options. We tried to get our running game going all day with little to no success...take a look at the drive charts. Lots of 0-1 yd gains, just like last year. Tommy got rattled early by their pressure, which if you read this article, is something they do particularly well. The only effective way to get them to back off of that is to either throw screens (where our timing sucked all day) or throw deep (where we either missed opportunities or Tommy made bad decisions). He was clearly still not 100% and that took the designed QB run game out aside from a few times where we had no other choice and needed to run the ball. Had Tommy been 100%, he could have run for a ton of yards. That is part of the problem with depending upon the QB run game...it is difficult to keep a running QB healthy all year. That's no big deal when you have 2 stud backups a la OSU 2014, but when our backups are Fyfe and Darlington, we've got to do what we can to keep him serviceable. Hopefully we can heal up a little more this week and get up early next week vs. Purdue and get some more rest.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, honestly that Indiana Defense does a good job.

Last week they made JT Barrett look bad, this week they made Tommy look really bad. And yea the difference between the 2 is Tommy couldn't run as much. He still does an outstanding job of avoiding sacks.

We all knew it was going to be a close game. Even when we jumped out to that 17 point lead, it didn't feel like we were dominating, it felt like things were just going our way.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hhmmm, googling Ken Bone, I think that is a negative review also.
Don't think so. Most people love him. He went from having around 100 Twitter followers to 250K+ in like two days after the last debate. People think he's funny. I think that's high praise.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been using the Husker Fists for four years now. They have gone to Iowa, Northwestern, Minnesota, and now Indiana.

I use Walmart RED spray paint, 2 bucks a can.

I made an N template.

Then I used WHITE primer paint to paint the N on.

I waited too long to do them this year, so my Ns were smeary. Years past, the Ns were almost perfect.

The Top Hat was an anniversary present I asked my wife to get me in 2014. It made its debut at the 2014 Northwestern Game.

The Pillow pet my wife gave me as a Christmas present. I believe she bought it in Lincoln around six years ago.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I watched this game again last night until about midway thru the 3rd quarter when I finally passed out. Our D-line played extremely well for the most part last week. QB pressures, sacks and stuffing the run. Also, Nate Gerry was a missile last week. Coming up from the safety spot and just smothering screen plays.

I even thought our special teams, aside from the blocked punt, looked okay. Mostly on kickoff coverage.

Too may penalties though. Nebraska had 9 penalties compared to IU's 1.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I watched this game again last night until about midway thru the 3rd quarter when I finally passed out. Our D-line played extremely well for the most part last week. QB pressures, sacks and stuffing the run. Also, Nate Gerry was a missile last week. Coming up from the safety spot and just smothering screen plays.

I even thought our special teams, aside from the blocked punt, looked okay. Mostly on kickoff coverage.

Too may penalties though. Nebraska had 9 penalties compared to IU's 1.

That blocked punt was terrible. The gap between little Jordan Ober and the guards was big enough for three Indiana players to run through.

Then, the too many men on the field for XP attempts.

Thank goodness Ober, Darlington, and Brown are an excellent trio for field goals and XPs. Otherwise, special teams would have graded an F minus minus.

Read had better have some good excuses.

Nate Gerry and Josh Banderas were studs. I was constantly telling the Indiana fans about Nate Gerry #25, because they were amazed by his play. His worst play was getting faked by Zander Diamont that one time, but after that, Diamont never got the best of Gerry.

I was harsh on the linebacker play after the Illinois game, this game the linebackers were playing.

They said the punt return team was more worried about fake punts than returns. The front seven on punt return were playing to stop the play, not to block Indiana.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but shouldn't the punt return team be able to do both? i mean, if the guy in front of you doesn't attempt to block you then its probably pretty safe to say it's a punt and if they attempt to block you, then it might be a fake. it doesn't seem like rocket science to me. if they just hit the guy in front of them and delay them an extra second that would give DPE some more room.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Riley said was they were leaving the defense on the field because they were afraid of a fake and you don't get great returns when you leave the defense on. Not sure why. I'm no expert but you would think they could block.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would imagine the Defense doesn't get much work in practice blocking on punt returns. It's definitely more than just getting a body on a body. Usually on punt returns you're trying to set up a wall to allow the returner a running lane. Schematics en sech.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but shouldn't the punt return team be able to do both? i mean, if the guy in front of you doesn't attempt to block you then its probably pretty safe to say it's a punt and if they attempt to block you, then it might be a fake. it doesn't seem like rocket science to me. if they just hit the guy in front of them and delay them an extra second that would give DPE some more room.
It wouldn't be super difficult to convert a fake punt if all you had to do to get the defense to back off is run down the field. Same idea as a draw play...receivers go out on routes typically. You can't assume it isn't a run play just because receivers are going out for a pass.