• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

8-5: Stripling at AAAA Team On The Way Out Of Town

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants offense may have had a better day than Tim Anderson tho lol
Just saw it…

LOL

He got KTFO!!!

I hate the guy, but honestly, Ramirez was the instigator there. He slid WAY late, Anderson took the ball where it was thrown, then Ramirez popped up chirping. Anderson escalated it where it didn’t need to go, granted, but he saw stars for his troubles. That would have been ended if that happened in the octagon.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. I don’t see him as an upgrade

Over our current hitting? LOL
While I agree with tzill that he wouldn't be an upgrade (his OPS+ was 102 with the Mets but he has been atrocious so far with the Brewers but SSS), I do think he would have been a much better acquisition than Pollock.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree with tzill that he wouldn't be an upgrade (his OPS+ was 102 with the Mets but he has been atrocious so far with the Brewers but SSS), I do think he would have been a much better acquisition than Pollock.
He at least can help, maybe/probably. 102 OPS+ would probably lead the outfield outside of platoon guy Slater.

Pollock cannot. Doesn't hurt either as we gave up nothing for him and need a warm body until our better OFs get healthy.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He at least can help, maybe/probably. 102 OPS+ would probably lead the outfield outside of platoon guy Slater.

Pollock cannot. Doesn't hurt either as we gave up nothing for him and need a warm body until our better OFs get healthy.
OPS+ for Giants' outfielders:
Slater - 117
Yastrzemski - 105 (healthy at deadline)
Sabol - 99
Conforto - 98
Matos - 75

With Yas out now, it would be nice to have Canha (and yes, Canha is preferrable to Pollock by a mile) but other than Matos, who would Canha have been an upgrade over? Conforto is the worst of the bunch, above Matos, and his OPS+ is only 4 points difference.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OPS+ for Giants' outfielders:
Slater - 117
Yastrzemski - 105 (healthy at deadline)
Sabol - 99
Conforto - 98
Matos - 75

With Yas out now, it would be nice to have Canha (and yes, Canha is preferrable to Pollock by a mile) but other than Matos, who would Canha have been an upgrade over? Conforto is the worst of the bunch, above Matos, and his OPS+ is only 4 points difference.
So I was right, Slater's #s are from mostly hitting vs lefties.

I'd prefer Canha and shaking things up to doing nothing which is what we did.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the guy the Mutts got in return. A 23 yo SP currently on the “reserved list” (minor league IL?). He started the year in AA but got the bump to AAA earlier in July.

I have no idea what kind of prospect he is, but based on him being fresh in AAA, I would assume he will be in discussion to be in NY by next year.

So who would our comp be? Hjelle is older (26) and has lost a bit of luster. Mason Black may be a good comp as he also is a 23 yo SP in AAA, but I doubt he was available for such a minor upgrade. Teng? Winn? Roupp? Whisenhunt (LOL)? Dabovich, Rodriguez, Sanchez???

Just because we would have paid the price that ultimately pulled the player, doesn’t mean we have the corresponding piece that the Mutts view as the equivalent (logically, it would have had to be BETTER than Jarvis) value that we were willing to part with.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the guy the Mutts got in return. A 23 yo SP currently on the “reserved list” (minor league IL?). He started the year in AA but got the bump to AAA earlier in July.

I have no idea what kind of prospect he is, but based on him being fresh in AAA, I would assume he will be in discussion to be in NY by next year.

So who would our comp be? Hjelle is older (26) and has lost a bit of luster. Mason Black may be a good comp as he also is a 23 yo SP in AAA, but I doubt he was available for such a minor upgrade. Teng? Winn? Roupp? Whisenhunt (LOL)? Dabovich, Rodriguez, Sanchez???

Just because we would have paid the price that ultimately pulled the player, doesn’t mean we have the corresponding piece that the Mutts view as the equivalent (logically, it would have had to be BETTER than Jarvis) value that we were willing to part with.
Black would probably be the most likely guy from your list. Teng has lost some luster as well. Winn, Roupp, Whisenhunt and Dabovich are all on the IL (and Dabovich is done for the year, by the way, he's not pitching again in 2023). Rodriguez and Sanchez are relievers.

Reserved list means the Mets haven't made room for him in their AAA roster yet. Which is kind of weird, because I would think that he would have been added by now. The Giants used to use that list to carry an extra pitcher on the roster. They would rotate guys in high A and low A ball mostly on and off that list. It is similar, yet different, to the development list.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s the thing. Our current hitting isn’t our true level. Canna isn’t an upgrade over that
LOL whatever man. Let's see what our 'true level' is over the next month. This is fine.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Black would probably be the most likely guy from your list. Teng has lost some luster as well. Winn, Roupp, Whisenhunt and Dabovich are all on the IL (and Dabovich is done for the year, by the way, he's not pitching again in 2023). Rodriguez and Sanchez are relievers.

Reserved list means the Mets haven't made room for him in their AAA roster yet. Which is kind of weird, because I would think that he would have been added by now. The Giants used to use that list to carry an extra pitcher on the roster. They would rotate guys in high A and low A ball mostly on and off that list. It is similar, yet different, to the development list.
And I would not make a Black/Canha trade.