• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: 7/6/2017: The Yankees suck again while the Dodgers soar

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Doug Fister experiment should be over in Boston

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that. I was just curious about the mindset of the team going into the season, and why they would put Wood in the bullpen. And trying not to look at it in a "hindsight" perspective, but more a "what information did they have available at the time" perspective. Just seems like the 5 guys that I mentioned, or replace Urias with McCarthy, was the better bet.

Alex Wood was just more valuable as a long reliever at the time. At least that's the way I see it. I don't think Dave Roberts is a bad manager.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Wood was just more valuable as a long reliever at the time. At least that's the way I see it. I don't think Dave Roberts is a bad manager.
I'm not going to pretend I've seen enough Dodgers game to judge Dave Roberts management. Just wondering if there was a logical reason why.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to pretend I've seen enough Dodgers game to judge Dave Roberts management. Just wondering if there was a logical reason why.

Dave Roberts has exposed my favorite BB player ever, Mr Mattingly, as a shitty manager

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... the Royals are suddenly good again, in a wild card spot, and only .5 a game behind Cleveland despite largely being terrible for the season. This team makes me want to give up on figuring beisbol out sometimes. They didn't even register as having a significant chance at the playoffs (0.0%) on fangraphs just a few weeks ago. One would hope that kind of implies a hard break and actual improvement, along with some luck, but yeesh.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... the Royals are suddenly good again, in a wild card spot, and only .5 a game behind Cleveland despite largely being terrible for the season. This team makes me want to give up on figuring beisbol out sometimes. They didn't even register as having a significant chance at the playoffs (0.0%) on fangraphs just a few weeks ago. One would hope that kind of implies a hard break and actual improvement, along with some luck, but yeesh.

So, what would you do?

Buy or Sell at the deadline?
Hope they collapse so they can make trades and build for next year?
Hope they challenge for the division and probably lose their best players in the winter?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, what would you do?

Buy or Sell at the deadline?
Hope they collapse so they can make trades and build for next year?
Hope they challenge for the division and probably lose their best players in the winter?
Go deep in the playoffs at this point, win the world series. Dayton is a notorious homer/optimist so selling is just about out of the picture with how craptastic the division and AL WC field has been. Maybe a deep run pumps in enough money to be well worth the prospects in the form of an extension, you never know. Kind of a shitty hand to be dealt.

Last edited:

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go deep in the playoffs at this point, win the world series. Dayton is a notorious homer/optimist so selling is just about out of the picture with how craptostic the division and AL WC field has been. Maybe a deep run pumps in enough money to be well worth the prospects in the form of an extension, you never know. Kind of a shitty hand to be dealt.

Yeah, I think you're right. Need another arm though.

If you are on twitter, there is a guy ClubhouseConvo, who has a lot of inside info on the Royals.
He predicted the Gordon signing and was close to the $ amount

He says there is a 60% chance we re-sign Moose.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you are on twitter, there is a guy ClubhouseConvo, who has a lot of inside info on the Royals.

Yeah, I tend to agree. Not sure we can do much outside of grabbing relievers and a mid-tier starter (and that's a pretty aggressive take of things) unless there's one of these prospect's stock skyrockets which I am not really seeing yet in terms of top 100 guys. Mondesi is probably too valuable to the current club to get too anxious about trading him when the guy in front of him is sub replacement.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is Moose your #1 guy over Hosmer and Cain, if you had your choice?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I tend to agree. Not sure we can do much outside of grabbing relievers and a mid-tier starter (and that's a pretty aggressive take of things) unless there's one of these prospect's stock skyrockets which I am not really seeing yet in terms of top 100 guys. Mondesi is probably too valuable to the current club to get too anxious about trading him when the guy in front of him is sub replacement.

Im not sure what will be available....All but ruling out Quintana going inside the division, no one seems to recognize that Gerritt Cole sucks in a weak offensive league

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not sure what will be available....All but ruling out Quintana going inside the division, no one seems to recognize that Gerritt Cole sucks in a weak offensive league
I don't think those would be in their pricerange unless it's a Mondesi package which is really hard to believe considering how bad Alcides Escobar has been.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
listened to Rex Hudler explain what "to rake" means to the "younger fans" last night. Sounded like he was coked up.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Moose your #1 guy over Hosmer and Cain, if you had your choice?
In terms of future value for the Royals, it's Moose hands down, imo. I definitely don't think he's going to be a 4% BB guy for very long, but the power has always been there in reality. He has just figured out how to access it while being able to go to the opposite field in his back pocket when need be. Cain is just too old to be a good sign unless nobody else (minus Hosmer who can be exiled to New York for all I care) signs.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Gamel leading the league in BA. Why can't the Yankees get someone like that?

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
listened to Rex Hudler explain what "to rake" means to the "younger fans" last night. Sounded like he was coked up.

Yeah, I listened to that.

There are a lot of shiny new fans out here. they need a vocabulary lesson every once in a while

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Doug Fister experiment should be over in Boston

The Doug Fister/Charlie Furbush trade will always be the best trade of all time.