• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 6.4 Flubbs @ Cashmere

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duggar flashing leather...he looks great in the regular lineup

Reactions: LHG

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PROMPTS the question. PROMPTS!!

begging the question means avoiding it.
giphy.gif

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

Not wrong actually, per your source:

The phrase itself comes from a translation of an Aristotelian phrase rendered as "beg the question" but meaning "assume the conclusion."

That was the original meaning, and the one I learned. It's only fairly recently that the opposite definition has come into usage.

Much like "could care less" meaning one "couldn't care less," the brain dead common usage has corrupted things.
6a00d8345275cf69e201bb09c04e0b970d-800wi.jpg

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not wrong actually, per your source:

The phrase itself comes from a translation of an Aristotelian phrase rendered as "beg the question" but meaning "assume the conclusion."

That was the original meaning, and the one I learned. It's only fairly recently that the opposite definition has come into usage.

Much like "could care less" meaning one "couldn't care less," the brain dead common usage has corrupted things.
View attachment 272338
Actually, “my source” (the admittedly fake news site Merriam Webster) says that the VASTLY common usage of the phrase means that a given fact demands the subsequent question. The site goes on to say that the opposite meaning (the fact supposes an outcome and therefore ignores the begged for question) is rare, and those who believe that to be the meaning are basically judgemental assholes (their conclusion, not mine).

”Could care less” is akin, imho, to “could of”. It is just something said by lazy ignoramus’. The words themselves don’t make sense. “Begs the question”, on the other hand, means exactally what it says, “a question is desired here”.

“Could care less”, literally, says that there is a state of caring below the current state that you occupy. You actually have a level of caring about the subject at hand. But the speaker is trying to communicate a complete lack of caring. The opposite of what is said.

”Could of” is just dumb. It means nothing. It is only said be someone too lazy to actually pay any attention to what is actually said or what it means. “Could of” is a mispronunciation of “Could have”. Pure and simple.

And don’t get me started on “Literally”.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, “my source” (the admittedly fake news site Merriam Webster) says that the VASTLY common usage of the phrase means that a given fact demands the subsequent question. The site goes on to say that the opposite meaning (the fact supposes an outcome and therefore ignores the begged for question) is rare, and those who believe that to be the meaning are basically judgemental assholes (their conclusion, not mine).

”Could care less” is akin, imho, to “could of”. It is just something said by lazy ignoramus’. The words themselves don’t make sense. “Begs the question”, on the other hand, means exactally what it says, “a question is desired here”.

“Could care less”, literally, says that there is a state of caring below the current state that you occupy. You actually have a level of caring about the subject at hand. But the speaker is trying to communicate a complete lack of caring. The opposite of what is said.

”Could of” is just dumb. It means nothing. It is only said be someone too lazy to actually pay any attention to what is actually said or what it means. “Could of” is a mispronunciation of “Could have”. Pure and simple.

And don’t get me started on “Literally”.
I know that usage creates definition; I concede that current usage supports your position. But every time I see it, I cringe. For centuries, "beg the question" meant to avoid it. Now, it's been co-opted by the "could care less" crowd.

You do you; I'll be here guarding my lawn.