• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 6.11 Baby Bears @ Brebbiuuugh again

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it counts, but does it count. :noidea:
Um…

I just said it did.

Right up there. You even quoted it…

mcd.gif

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I may give you credit here for is that you are subconsciously reverse jinxing him, thereby making him one of the best relievers in MLB since May 1.

Doubtless you needed the staff to change your diaper, dress your self-inflicted wounds, and restrain you in your bed after two Cubs got on base, before he courageously worked out of the jam.

nwrAmxtEPtwYZpr-580x326-noPad.jpg
Am I?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting question. I searched, briefly, for most games played at only one position for only one team. I could not find an answer. I suppose hitting at DH should not disqualify.
Jimmy Rollins never played a different position. But he played for different teams at the end of his career. Ozzie as well, but he played for 2 teams. Larkin played 3 games at 2B in his rookie season, but never again.

Aso interestingly enough, I was not the only person who noticed this, apparently. Craw himself was hesitant to take the bump because of this factoid. He decided to pitch because he always wanted to do it, but he had to weigh pitching vs losing his “clean” career.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor Rogers’ ERA is 3.22 now after another scoreless inning. The smart money would have been September for his ERA to be that low. Since throwing his glove in the trash after one of the worst and most unusual outings in major-league history (four batters faced, four walks), he’s allowed one earned run in 19 innings, with 28 strikeouts and five walks.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Brebbia’s ERA is 3.25 now after another scoreless inning. Since 5/12, he has a 0.64 ERA over 14 innings with a WHIP under 1.00 (13/14), despite some prominent fans calling for his head at every appearance.
Those numbers are obviously lying. He needs to be let go yesterday.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disappointing but not surprising:

The Giants have committed the most errors in all MLB - 49 to date.

1686599319467.png

HOWEVER, this may not be as bad as it seems, as we also lead MLB in Assists, which means we are inducing more ground balls, which result in more errors than fly balls.

Food for thought.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 331107

HOWEVER, this may not be as bad as it seems, as we also lead MLB in Assists, which means we are inducing more ground balls, which result in more errors than fly balls.

Food for thought.
Indeed, we lead MLB in Ground Ball %, by a fairly wide margin:

1686600683098.png

And we are a solid 5th in DPs/Game:

1686600929257.png

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 331107

Food for thought.
Errors are very subjective. Just look at Schmitt’s error(“s”) on Saturday. Giving him 2 errors on that play makes almost zero sense. And even if he did, by the book, qualify for 2 errors, in reality, it was still only 1 error.

If you don’t have any other source of info, and if you squint just right and tilt your head at the proper angle, errors (and thus, fielding percentage), can be a nice FIRST STEP at judging defensive capability.

Unfortunately, I am not convinced that any defensive metrics are worth a shit. End of the day, the only thing I trust is the eye test, and listening to knowledgeable people who have seen said player play and getting their assessment. And that isn’t statistical.

That said, I don’t necessarily disagree with what the QUICK assessment the team’s error count is telling us. This isn’t a defensively sound team. Estrada is passable, but nothing special. Craw has lost a step. Davis is very good (not sure I would call him “elite” yet, but I don’t think that is too big a stretch). Behind the dish, Sabol is getting better, but he will never remind anyone of Molina or Posey. Bailey is good, but I am still not sold on him. He made enough little mistakes his first week that have not been purged from my cache yet. I will give him the benefit of the doubt based on all the anecdotal evidence and testimonials I have heard about him. Bart is passable, but closer to Sabol than Bailey. If he doesn’t hit, he doesn’t have a career. Bailey is already guaranteed a long career, regardless if he ever hits or not.

K&K keep sucking Wade’s stick saying how amazing his D is at 1st, but I just don’t see it. Maybe I am spoiled by 20+ years of Snow and Belt. They were both exceptional defensive 1B. But Wade doesn’t pick the ball out of the dirt very well and he is too short to save the high throw destined for the net (two of Belts specialties).

In the OF, Yaz is good. Probably above average, even. But he isn’t anything that will be generationally remembered. Conforto and Haniger both seem adequate, but ultimately, probably below average.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 331107

Food for thought.

Indeed, we lead MLB in Ground Ball %, by a fairly wide margin:

View attachment 331108

And we are a solid 5th in DPs/Game:

View attachment 331109
Solid information. Thanks, Mays, for pulling that out.

However, the one exception I'd make to agreement is on the solid DP comment. If this team is leading MLB by ground balls induced by a decent margin, being 5th on DPs turned seems pretty disappointing. I haven't looked deeper on the numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me that this team is about 10th best at turning the DP. Considering the errors, that isn't bad, but considering the number of ground balls, that does seem disappointing.

Of course, there are plenty of variables (types of ground balls, positioning of fielders, runners on base, etc) that could make this a whole different conversation.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid information. Thanks, Mays, for pulling that out.

However, the one exception I'd make to agreement is on the solid DP comment. If this team is leading MLB by ground balls induced by a decent margin, being 5th on DPs turned seems pretty disappointing. I haven't looked deeper on the numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me that this team is about 10th best at turning the DP. Considering the errors, that isn't bad, but considering the number of ground balls, that does seem disappointing.

Of course, there are plenty of variables (types of ground balls, positioning of fielders, runners on base, etc) that could make this a whole different conversation.
Agreed, but it's a small enough sample (65 games) that it might still allow for some statistical anomalies. But it's still pretty highly correlated (GB% and DPs).

I'd prefer that Crawford and Haniger start hitting like they are capable of rather than us worry about us improving our DP%.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but it's a small enough sample (65 games) that it might still allow for some statistical anomalies. But it's still pretty highly correlated (GB% and DPs).

I'd prefer that Crawford and Haniger start hitting like they are capable of rather than us worry about us improving our DP%.
I certainly think that Haniger can hit better. My main concern was his health. Its weird that he's been healthy for close to 2 months but not hit much at all.
Crawford can probably give us about as much as we've seen. He is ready for retirement.