• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: #57 - Philadelphia at San Jose - 7:30 PM

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:yawning: why are these games SOOOOOOOOooooooo Boring?

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good job by Niemi for allowing that awful goal.

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid lazy start to the 3rd, now down 3-2.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
those last 2 goals are fucking terrible. Blocker side was weak and that rebound was shittastic

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking garbage inexcusable effort in this period, with everyone asleep.

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As if it wasn't already over, Havlat surprisingly loses a board battle that leads to the 5th goal. McCarthy was more useful than Havlat.

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking worthless abortion of a game typifies why the Sharks season ends the way it does every goddamn fucking year.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
got back the game. Obvious a bad effort, but they would have won 2-1 with a reasonable goaltending effort. I mean what goalie gives up 3 horrible goals? What a deflator for a team struggling to score. Nemo needs a looooong Benching and he needs to be forced to compete for the net. No more guarantees...

Also, the sharks have some serious problems with a few guys. Havlat is a net negative. He is lazy and I dont think he skated at full speed all game. He dances and dipsies until he loses the puck and then half skates on the backcheck. He is a loser. He is not the kind of player who will play for a winner...

Boyle is old, and reaching the end. I hate to say it, but I hope they dont resign him. Maybe its the concussion, maybe its age catching up with a physical yet undersized Dman. Maybe it's just a bad year, but I see Boyle as another of the net negatives. His PP work is atrocious now and he is no longer a great speed or shot threat like he was. In the last 17 games, he has 3 points and -7, to make him now -9 on the season. His last even strength point was December 14th, over a month and half ago. Not a single even strength point in that time. His play at all ends has tanked and I wonder if he is just done.

Obviously no conclusions can be drawn about the team given the injuries, but I worry alot about the offense from the defense. The last goal scored by the D was 14 games ago (1/9 vs. detroit) and actually that is the only goal from the D (a Boyle PPG) in the last month, and this is basically with a healthy crew aside from demers for a few games.

I think the sharks need to go shopping for some serious help finding a top Dman like Boyle circa 2005. I know those guys are real hard to find, but without a little more offense from the D and a real threat from the point, it's gunna be hard to beat anybody.

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as the organization is content with the level it has reached over the past few seasons and keeps receiving the same amount of support from the fans, nothing will change for the better. How many people in the crowd there tonight were actually pissed off at the bush league level of play by the team that extended over from the 2nd to 3rd periods? This team gets a free pass, for the most part, and is damn lucky for that.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehhh another lose after a shifty effort, but honestly how can any NHL team really compete with this kind of roster?

Good thing we have a Olympic break!

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As if it wasn't already over, Havlat surprisingly loses a board battle that leads to the 5th goal. McCarthy was more useful than Havlat.

Havlat has become a $6 million dollar John McCarthy. I would waive his ass now and eat the contract. No value at all to the team. He plays like he is either hurt and trying not to get hurt.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
those last 2 goals are fucking terrible. Blocker side was weak and that rebound was shittastic

Stalock needs to start the next two. Send Niemi to Sochi early. His mind is already there.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
got back the game. Obvious a bad effort, but they would have won 2-1 with a reasonable goaltending effort. I mean what goalie gives up 3 horrible goals? What a deflator for a team struggling to score. Nemo needs a looooong Benching and he needs to be forced to compete for the net. No more guarantees...

Also, the sharks have some serious problems with a few guys. Havlat is a net negative. He is lazy and I dont think he skated at full speed all game. He dances and dipsies until he loses the puck and then half skates on the backcheck. He is a loser. He is not the kind of player who will play for a winner...

Boyle is old, and reaching the end. I hate to say it, but I hope they dont resign him. Maybe its the concussion, maybe its age catching up with a physical yet undersized Dman. Maybe it's just a bad year, but I see Boyle as another of the net negatives. His PP work is atrocious now and he is no longer a great speed or shot threat like he was. In the last 17 games, he has 3 points and -7, to make him now -9 on the season. His last even strength point was December 14th, over a month and half ago. Not a single even strength point in that time. His play at all ends has tanked and I wonder if he is just done.

Obviously no conclusions can be drawn about the team given the injuries, but I worry alot about the offense from the defense. The last goal scored by the D was 14 games ago (1/9 vs. detroit) and actually that is the only goal from the D (a Boyle PPG) in the last month, and this is basically with a healthy crew aside from demers for a few games.

I think the sharks need to go shopping for some serious help finding a top Dman like Boyle circa 2005. I know those guys are real hard to find, but without a little more offense from the D and a real threat from the point, it's gunna be hard to beat anybody.

Joe and Patty: the two must be fattening up on caviar after getting those new deals. Since the day after they signed those deals, 4 losses and 1 SOW. No incentive anymore to go all out? They are set now to the end of their careers in reality. Who needs to win a cup now when the bank account is nice and fat.

Burns 14 games w/o a goal. He last scored in Coutures final game on January 5th. A whole goddamn month. I know he is getting shots lately and clears space, but he is on the top line (minus Hertl but with Pavs). You can't go that cold and be a John McCarthy in regards to production now when injuries have hit so many forwards. He has to score right now or this trend of lack of scoring is going to continue.

Lack of d scoring? Last night is good example of why. First Philly goal, Simmonds is blocking Niemi the whole time on that pp. I don't see anyone doing that effectively for the Sharks. A looooooooooooooooong pet peeve for years where no one wants to get in front of the goalie and block his vision. The d can fire those shots from the point all day long but it is not going in if no one is in front of the goalie.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as the organization is content with the level it has reached over the past few seasons and keeps receiving the same amount of support from the fans, nothing will change for the better. How many people in the crowd there tonight were actually pissed off at the bush league level of play by the team that extended over from the 2nd to 3rd periods? This team gets a free pass, for the most part, and is damn lucky for that.

I totally agree. That may have been the worst effort of the season. From the middle of the 1st period on they were owned. It could have been worse than 5-2 with the opportunities Philly was given. It is almost like, hey we can take a night off after the effort we gave against the Blackhawks. Sharks now have losses at home to Buffalo, Islanders, and Flyers. Not exactly NHL cream of the crop. You can tell they are taking nights off with those kind results. I don't see this lack of effort when playing Ducks, Kings, Hawks, Wings, Blues at home. 6 and 1 against those teams.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Joe and Patty: the two must be fattening up on caviar after getting those new deals. Since the day after they signed those deals, 4 losses and 1 SOW. No incentive anymore to go all out? They are set now to the end of their careers in reality. Who needs to win a cup now when the bank account is nice and fat.

Burns 14 games w/o a goal. He last scored in Coutures final game on January 5th. A whole goddamn month. I know he is getting shots lately and clears space, but he is on the top line (minus Hertl but with Pavs). You can't go that cold and be a John McCarthy in regards to production now when injuries have hit so many forwards. He has to score right now or this trend of lack of scoring is going to continue.

Lack of d scoring? Last night is good example of why. First Philly goal, Simmonds is blocking Niemi the whole time on that pp. I don't see anyone doing that effectively for the Sharks. A looooooooooooooooong pet peeve for years where no one wants to get in front of the goalie and block his vision. The d can fire those shots from the point all day long but it is not going in if no one is in front of the goalie.

I dont think the jumbo-patty contracts change their game. They were gunna get those deals no matter what and while Im not happy with them, they are known commodities for better or worse.

Burns is definitely struggling to score, but he singlehandedly created nieto's 2nd goal and covered nicely defensively several times last game. He will come around, he's just in a slump. Cooch was in one too, but guys like that will come around.

While I agree that lacking screens is hurting the D scoring, I also think the ol' fumbled pucks at the points, getting shots blocked, missing wide, getting stopped on chances is more common. Look at stuart: he has an open net vs. chicago and hit crawfords pad. He gets it up a foot off the ice and it's in. The D have had looks, but they are failing to contribute offensively. They have been steady defensively, but scoring 3 on 5 is tough. It's been a common trend for the sharks that boyle was the only guy who would contribute at all offensively and now he is old and ineffective leaving no threats back there. I think a real offensive threat from the blueline would also open space for the forwards down low. The sharks dont have a Dman in the top 30 in D scoring and only 1 in the top 50 in defensive goal scoring. That's really really bad, particularly on a team with some great down low playmakers who create space for the points, and a team in the top 10 in overall goal scoring. With a better D, the sharks would be a much more dangerous team IMHO.