• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

.50 cal ricochet

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is simply trying to be humorous because he is scared...stating that "they are not going to shoot the .50 cal anymore"....said the phrase plenty when having a close call or getting injured.

look...if a bullet doesn't hit exactly square "like car example" the energy would not go directly 180. The mass of a car and the speed isn't even in the same league with a bullet...can't remotely be compared.

A crossbow with 150 lbs of pull and able to shoot 320 fps was able to shoot 12 yards and it came back 13 yards and stuck solid into a piece of Oak wood....it was fired flat..bounced off the target (changes its angle) and hit the back wall (again changing the angle) and hit the side wall (again changing its angle) and still had enough force to stick 3/4 of an inch into the Oak wood.

If this is actually shot at 100 yards, it is definately possible...the further out the harder it is to believe...but remember...it only chipped his hearing protection...it didn't go through it...not much force was needed.

The fact that is was a 50 cal actually makes it harder to believe because with more force, it means that it's more likely to penetrate the object it hits and/or make the projectile disintegrate. Slower projectiles are more likely to bounce. Faster projectiles are more likely to punch through or explode. That's why you'll see people talking about ricochets when they're using handguns. And they're doing it within 25 yards. You aren't going to shoot a bow and arrow at 25 yards and have it bounce back at you that far.

At 100 yards, I just don't believe it. A .50 cal is punching through, or almost punching through, and metal object you're shooting with it unless they're shooting some tungsten plate.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that is was a 50 cal actually makes it harder to believe because with more force, it means that it's more likely to penetrate the object it hits and/or make the projectile disintegrate. Slower projectiles are more likely to bounce. Faster projectiles are more likely to punch through or explode. That's why you'll see people talking about ricochets when they're using handguns. And they're doing it within 25 yards. You aren't going to shoot a bow and arrow at 25 yards and have it bounce back at you that far.

At 100 yards, I just don't believe it. A .50 cal is punching through, or almost punching through, and metal object you're shooting with it unless they're shooting some tungsten plate.

disagree...your bow and arrow argument DOES make sense so let me use that one, when changed to a crossbow and arrow...60lbs to 150lbs still at 300 to 320 fps...it does come back a lot faster..its been proven and done and actually I have seen a bow and arrow at 10 yards come back but, your right, at best it could scratch your cornia if placed right, it fell at the feet. It skipped off the side wall first, hit something on the target and came back...it wasn't me but a customer.

so a .50 at 100 and a handgun at 25 isn't that far off. it could go through and change angle or hit the side and change angle and hit something that could send it back.

It isn't likely in a million shots but with everyone having video on every phone...we have increased the chance of seeing very rare occurances.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did see someone draw a bow, at a 45 degree angle down and accidently release...the arrow hit the ground (painted cement) at about 3 feet away and did not skip up...it went fast across the floor and stuck hard into the target at the bottom.

I thought for sure that would skip but nothing. Might as well throw normal geometry out the window.

omarsrevenge

Godlike
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few things. I believe the video is real. It looks like closer to 100 yards than 1000. Given the ping of the target I'm guessing they were shooting a steel plate. A standard 3/4 inch AR500 steel plate will stop a .50 Cal ball round at 100 yards. As to the ricochet there are a lot of factors at play. Don't even know if he was shooting at a fixed plate or one on a spinner. Plate could have been dented from other rounds and created a strange ricochet. I can assure you the bullet or fragment could have the velocity to return 100 yards.