• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

.50 cal ricochet

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
video broken

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very scary that is one lucky dude.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to think this video is fake. It would take quite a miracle for a bullet to change direction 180 degrees and bounce back. The mythbusters did something a while back trying to get one to bounce back and they couldn't, even under the best of circumstances. At best, you don't want to be around the target area as there would be some splash from the exploding projectile - but I have my doubts that even a chunk of the bullet could make it all the way back that far.

Timkid

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen this video in the past he is very lucky. I dont belive its fake the bullet hits ground in front of him. Just because the mythbusters test something doesn't mean its not possible.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't look fake at all. He's very lucky though. Bet a little poop came out :gaah:

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no way thats fake. It would have to be extremely an accident if Mythbusters could recreate a 180 degree bounce back of anything. Cabela's in KC had a crossbow arrow do the same thing in the bow range, missed a guy by inches. It was a 1 in a million shots and now a kevilar drape is 3 ft from the back wall to prevent it.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to think this video is fake. It would take quite a miracle for a bullet to change direction 180 degrees and bounce back. The mythbusters did something a while back trying to get one to bounce back and they couldn't, even under the best of circumstances. At best, you don't want to be around the target area as there would be some splash from the exploding projectile - but I have my doubts that even a chunk of the bullet could make it all the way back that far.
It can happen. Got hit in the chest on an indoor range about 10 years ago by a bullet fragment. The velocity was much slower than that and only bruised.

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my dad knew a kid growing up that was shooting salt-licks with a .22 rifle and lost his left eye......bullet went in one side of the convex part and right out the other

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen this video in the past he is very lucky. I dont belive its fake the bullet hits ground in front of him. Just because the mythbusters test something doesn't mean its not possible.

And as we know with anything on the internet, just because it looks real doesn't mean it is.

To hit a steel plate, like they were shooting at, and have it bounce back would defy physics. Essentially you have to take all the energy of that bullet moving forward and direct it backwords; or at least enough of it to fly back what looks to be about 50-100 yards.

Not to mention, not only does it have to hit a steel plate and bounce back another 50-100 yards, it has to then hit the ground and bounce up another 5 feet at a 60 degree angle to hit the guy in the head. So now the bullet hitting two things and bouncing up at the guy. Just don't think it's physically possible. Here's what I mean:

shoot_zps1a2dce39.jpg

Even if by some miracle the bullet bounced back that far and hit the ground, the trajectory would likely hit him in the legs. It wouldn't bounce up at a 60 degree angle to hit his head. Even if you were to stand in front of the guy and shoot a round right at him and have it hit the ground in the same spot, there's no way it bounces up at his head.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It can happen. Got hit in the chest on an indoor range about 10 years ago by a bullet fragment. The velocity was much slower than that and only bruised.

Well, that can happen. Indoor ranges are pretty small and bullets do fragment. They just don't fragment and travel 50-100 yards back, hit the ground in front of you and then have enough force to blow up your ear protection.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta say, looks and sounds real to me. did a quick google and there are a few shooting forums where the guys have been interviewed as it was real.

As for the bounce, that is a tumbling bullet. Your drawing assumes a perfect bullet shot, but anyone who is a fan of football knows that tricky "hops" can be made when an oblong shape is tumbling.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where are you getting 100 yards? It says it is a 1000 yard shot. I completely believe a 50cal has the velocity to ricochet off a steel plate and come back with that much force.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where are you getting 100 yards? It says it is a 1000 yard shot. I completely believe a 50cal has the velocity to ricochet off a steel plate and come back with that much force.

I didn't even read the info - 1000 yard shot makes it, without any doubt, fake. If you think it's real you clearly haven't shot something at 500 yards, let alone 1000.

The bullet drop on a 50BMG at 1000 yards is about 250-260 inches - or about 21 feet. In order to get back it would have to basically equal that velocity and account for the 21 foot drop in the bullet. Even if you assume it had 1/2 the power coming back that means it would have a bullet drop of 42 feet. It's simply impossible. I just don't know what else to so say other than that.

Take a look at this shooter shooting at 1000 yards and watch him zoom out after the shot:

The video the OP posted is unequivocally fake. I thought it was fake with some guy shooting a simply target at 100 yards and 100% fake at 1000.

here's a handy charge of the 50 BMG bullet drop:
trajectory of .50 bmg -

Last edited by a moderator:

haydav49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I didn't even read the info - 1000 yard shot makes it, without any doubt, fake. If you think it's real you clearly haven't shot something at 500 yards, let alone 1000.

The bullet drop on a 50BMG at 1000 yards is about 250-260 inches - or about 21 feet. In order to get back it would have to basically equal that velocity and account for the 21 foot drop in the bullet. Even if you assume it had 1/2 the power coming back that means it would have a bullet drop of 42 feet. It's simply impossible. I just don't know what else to so say other than that.

Take a look at this shooter shooting at 1000 yards and watch him zoom out after the shot:

The video the OP posted is unequivocally fake. I thought it was fake with some guy shooting a simply target at 100 yards and 100% fake at 1000.

here's a handy charge of the 50 BMG bullet drop:
trajectory of .50 bmg -

Ok Maize. Now you're the expert on all things guns? Didn't you just get your first gun last year?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who has spent ANY time at a range knows that even a much smaller powered bullet can come right back at you if the stars line up just right (or wrong).

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is NOT a 1000 yard shot in the first clip, more like 100 yds, if it was the bullet hit the target in less than 1 second. just look at the 1000 yrd shot posted and time it...it takes longer.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as we know with anything on the internet, just because it looks real doesn't mean it is.

To hit a steel plate, like they were shooting at, and have it bounce back would defy physics. Essentially you have to take all the energy of that bullet moving forward and direct it backwords; or at least enough of it to fly back what looks to be about 50-100 yards.

Not to mention, not only does it have to hit a steel plate and bounce back another 50-100 yards, it has to then hit the ground and bounce up another 5 feet at a 60 degree angle to hit the guy in the head. So now the bullet hitting two things and bouncing up at the guy. Just don't think it's physically possible. Here's what I mean:

shoot_zps1a2dce39.jpg

Even if by some miracle the bullet bounced back that far and hit the ground, the trajectory would likely hit him in the legs. It wouldn't bounce up at a 60 degree angle to hit his head. Even if you were to stand in front of the guy and shoot a round right at him and have it hit the ground in the same spot, there's no way it bounces up at his head.
I'm not saying this is fake or not fake. but if it is fake making it hit the ground in camera shot & knocking off his ear protections is an amazing feat.
Now as far as your straight lines. you have to know that bullet wouldn't have shot in a straight line from your #1 to your #2 on a ricochet. Now picture an arch from #1 to #2 & I am sure there is a scenario where you get the bounce for #2 to #3.
My 1st thought was no way until I saw it ricocheted from the ground. Didn't noticed that the 1st time I watched it. Like I said if it is fake that timing of the dust up to knocking the gear off his head would be an amazing feat.
But I do agree in the 1st video is not a 1000 yd shot. That would be impossible.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok Maize. Now you're the expert on all things guns? Didn't you just get your first gun last year?

No, I'm no expert and it was more like 4 years ago at this point. Since then I've shot a lot, including some practice with my uncle shooting from 200, 300, 400, 500 and 600 yards (with his competition rifle); which is where I'm basing some of this off of. Plus, this really doesn't have to do a lot with shooting - it has to do with simple physics.

A 1000 yard shot bouncing back would be impossible. For one, the bullet would simply not have enough energy to stop and bounce all the way back FARTHER than it came from - it's made of metal, not rubber. That amount of force causes the bullet to shatter, not bounce. Secondly, as I said, the bullet drop coming back would be at minimum about half of what it was going to the target (assuming any bounce back had half the energy that the original bullet had being shot out of a gun).

So assuming we're on a flat surface the entire way, and he's shooting from about 3 or 4 feet off the ground, he's lobbing that bullet about 20 feet higher than the target to get there (1000 yards away). To get back, the bullet would have to be (at minimum) lobbed 40 feet in the air to get back. Unlike it's shown in the video, it simply wouldn't be a straight shot back. Even if it did make it far enough to hit the ground in front of him, it would plant itself in the ground because it's coming from 40 feet in the air. But alas, there's no way in hell that bullet is hitting a steel plate at 1000 yards and coming back another 1000 yards.