• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5 most overrated programs in history.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan is in the Top ten in all time wins and have the second most players in the College football hall of fame.
They are not over-rated, IMHO.

Texas, is not over-rated. Over hyped? Yes, yes they are. If Texas is over-rated then so is Texas A&M.

Georgia maybe, when Alabama was not Sabanized other teams won the SEC, not Georgia.

1. Oregon has Oregon ever claimed a national title since the 1960s? Once Phil Knight dies, the cash spigot will be cutoff unless he leaves his money to Oregon. But then, the admins will get their hands on it, and it won't be for athletics.

2. West Virginia what they have done was against scrub teams mostly. Now that they are playing a big time opponent in Oklahoma, they are getting crushed. If they would not have been in the Big East, they would be a nothing.

3. Virginia Tech mostly against scrub teams again. If they would not have been in the Big East, they would be a nothing. Virginia Tech has won the ACC four times, their bowl record is 1-3 after those ACC championships. Their win was against Cincinnati, they lost to the Power Conferences, Kansas, Stanford, and Auburn.

4. BYU mostly against scrub teams. They beat a 6-6 Michigan team to go undefeated. B sub FD. Slowly fading into oblivion. They will be a Syracuse and Minnesota.

5. Notre Dame, based on their past history, Notre Dame gets special treatment. But they are in the Top ten in all time wins, have the most hall of fame players, and NBC pays them a lot of money.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yes Iowa is frequently overrated and feared.

I wouldn't say frequent. They seem to have 5 year rotation.

A few years of doing expected of 8-9 wins.

Then have a year of mediocre expectations with a 10-win season with Top 10 finish

followed by season of Top 10 expectation ending in 8-9 win season

And repeat.

8085sooner

Homeboard Troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
aTm

They have coaches, take praise for other programs players

They put banners up for conference championships, when they finished tie in a Division and 3rd place overall

They get a trophy for NC to cum

Fucking Aggys

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Programs that are overly hyped and never won anything:

TCU
Oregon
Stanford

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
aTm

They have coaches, take praise for other programs players

They put banners up for conference championships, when they finished tie in a Division and 3rd place overall

They get a trophy for NC to cum

Fucking Aggys
Outside of their own minds, who rates them? Don’t you have to be rated in order to be overrated?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan is in the Top ten in all time wins and have the second most players in the College football hall of fame.
They are not over-rated, IMHO.

Texas, is not over-rated. Over hyped? Yes, yes they are. If Texas is over-rated then so is Texas A&M.

Georgia maybe, when Alabama was not Sabanized other teams won the SEC, not Georgia.

1. Oregon has Oregon ever claimed a national title since the 1960s? Once Phil Knight dies, the cash spigot will be cutoff unless he leaves his money to Oregon. But then, the admins will get their hands on it, and it won't be for athletics.

Should probably look at how much he has given to the school that hasn't gone to athletics before saying anything.
His name is on plenty. Knight Library. Knight Law Center. Science complex. Endowing multiple chairs

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TCU
Oregon
Stanford

Out of the 130 FBS teams obviously extremely hard to win a national title, but those three teams have an absolute shitload of BCS / New Year's Six titles between them. They deserve respect. I can think of about 110 FBS teams or more who would kill to have those programs' level of success.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TCU
Oregon
Stanford
What? No love for Slingin' Sammy Baugh?

304685c_lg.jpeg

Graphics must have been limited back then since they used a real frog instead of a horned frog. That or they are a bunch of nawtherners that don't know what a horney toad is!

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For sure. All TCU has done as a small Christian school is finish #3, #7, and #9 in three of the last four seasons in a very balanced Big 12 conference. They beat the piss out of Ole Piss in the Peach Bowl by 40, beat one of the best teams in the country in Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, and if they hadn't have been screwed over and matched up with an absolutely loaded 4th ranked Boise State team, they would have a Fiesta Bowl trophy on their shelf as well. They are the exact opposite of overrated.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure. All TCU has done as a small Christian school is finish #3, #7, and #9 in three of the last four seasons in a very balanced Big 12 conference. They beat the piss out of Ole Piss in the Peach Bowl by 40, beat one of the best teams in the country in Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, and if they hadn't have been screwed over and matched up with an absolutely loaded 4th ranked Boise State team, they would have a Fiesta Bowl trophy on their shelf as well. They are the exact opposite of overrated.

My point exactly. If anything they are on the overachiever list.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't "in history" mean throughout the entirety of college football? I wouldn't argue with ND/Michigan being overrated over the last 25 years, but come on. Shouldn't it be titled "Most overrated programs in recent history"?

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say Georgia is more underachieving than overrated. Nobody talks about Georgia as an all time great program or ranks them among the blue bloods.

But they were wrong in saying that Georgia was not once a title contender under Richt.

In 2012, Georgia fell 5 yards shy of making the title game, a game they likely would have won.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll go:

1. Michigan
2. Texas
3. Notre Dame
4. LSU
5. Tennessee

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not really fair to say BSU is overrated because they've "never won anything" when they've been at the FBS level for barely over two decades IMO. Not to mention they've been in a mid-major conference for the entirety of that duration and mid-majors were pretty much ignored in the polls up until the last decade or so. Obviously there's a difference between going 11-1 in the MWC vs 11-1 in the SEC, but they have shown they can hang with and beat plenty of good programs.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just seems like there's a lot of recency bias in a lot of those "most overrated all-time" posts

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t see how Oregon is higher than USC outside of about a ten year run, when was Oregon really that highly thought of?

Agreed, when Oregon was shitty, people thought they were shitty. Nobody ever ranked a .500 Oregon team #1 in the pre-season.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say Georgia is more underachieving than overrated. (1) Nobody talks about Georgia as an all time great program or ranks them among the blue bloods.

But they were wrong in saying that Georgia was not once a title contender under Richt.

In 2012, Georgia fell 5 yards shy of making the title game, a game they likely would have won.

I'll go:
(2)
1. Michigan
2. Texas
3. Notre Dame
4. LSU
5. Tennessee

(1) Then they are idiots ... Georgia is definitely a Blue Blood Program!!!! 15th overall in wins and a .651 winning pct!!

(2)

1. Michigan (1st overall in wins and winning %)
2. Texas (4th overall in wins)
3. Notre Dame (7th overall in wins would be 2nd but vacated 21 wins)
4. LSU (16th overall in wins)
5. Tennessee (13th overall in wins)

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(1) Then they are idiots ... Georgia is definitely a Blue Blood Program!!!! 15th overall in wins and a .651 winning pct!!

(2)

1. Michigan (1st overall in wins and winning %)
2. Texas (4th overall in wins)
3. Notre Dame (7th overall in wins would be 2nd but vacated 21 wins)
4. LSU (16th overall in wins)
5. Tennessee (13th overall in wins)

I used to have a liberal definition of blue blood, but now I'm more picky than most.

At most your blue bloods consist of:

Alabama
USC
Notre Dame
Michigan
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Texas
Nebraska

Personally, I wittle the list down to:

Alabama
USC
Ohio State
Oklahoma

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to have a liberal definition of blue blood, but now I'm more picky than most.

At most your blue bloods consist of:

Alabama
USC
Notre Dame
Michigan
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Texas
Nebraska

Personally, I wittle the list down to:

Alabama
USC