• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 5) Indiana Pacers vs. 4) Philadelphia 76ers

Status
Not open for further replies.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said earlier I thought the Warriors would be a perfect fit for him. They could actually give him a starting opportunity because of his skill set. I think Noel has two routes to recoup his money. 1) Go to a contender team where he can get a solid role and show he can be productive for a winner or 2) Go to a rebuild and put up big numbers.

If he's willing to bet on himself one more year and go play for a minimum somewhere, there are lots of teams that could be suitors. Warriors, Spurs, Cavs, Celtics all come to mind. The Rockets less so because they have Capela which would kill lots of Noel's PT since they're kind of redundant.

I could see him giving Boston a discount. He’s from the area, grew up a Celtics fan.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That just seems bizarre.

Except that it is working out really well. The team has wildly exceeded expectations and has performed really well while one of their 2 best players have been injured. Why have Simmons toss up rim clangers? The team has plenty of people willing to take 3s. Heck of their top 8 or 9 players the only two that DON'T take 3s freely are Simmons and Fultz.

For this season, at least, "If it ain't broke don't fix it" remains in effect.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see him giving Boston a discount. He’s from the area, grew up a Celtics fan.

Honestly he needs someone to give him some good advice. Turning town 70M or whatever it was, was just plain stupid. He needs to fire his agent and manager and look for people who will give him real advice.

He needs to go to a place where he can build value. He has none right now. I don't even think he'll get more than a MLE type deal (which is still good money though). He'll need to weigh his options. Good news for him is that he's still only 24. But there's a real slippery slope to him becoming the next Tyrus Thomas.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest frustration with him is that he literally won’t even attempt a 3-pointer. I believe all of his 3-point attempts this season have been last minute heaves.

You know, I actually view that as a really good thing.

He is very self aware and understands the limits of his own game. Poor shot selection is often something that plagues young NBA players. Not Simmons.

I do think he will eventually add a 3 point shot, but not until he is able to shoot them somewhat efficiently. It is easy to build a winning team around a playmaker with a pass first mentality who understands proper shot selection.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except that it is working out really well. The team has wildly exceeded expectations and has performed really well while one of their 2 best players have been injured. Why have Simmons toss up rim clangers? The team has plenty of people willing to take 3s. Heck of their top 8 or 9 players the only two that DON'T take 3s freely are Simmons and Fultz.

For this season, at least, "If it ain't broke don't fix it" remains in effect.

Agree. If the Sixers weren't in the thick of the playoff race, then it would make sense for them to do like the Lakers did with Lonzo and tell him to keep shooting.

But since they are, it makes more sense to have him work on it in the off-season. Maybe even consider having him play a little in the summer league to work on it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is easy to build a winning team around a playmaker with a pass first mentality who understands proper shot selection.

I was reading about how the Sixers could play with Simmons and Lebron on the team. And the article, or podcast maybe, was saying that they would fit perfectly well together because they are both unselfish players who are just as comfortable dishing as they are going to the basket.

Pass first players that can score are definitely a rare bird in the NBA.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly he needs someone to give him some good advice. Turning town 70M or whatever it was, was just plain stupid. He needs to fire his agent and manager and look for people who will give him real advice.

He needs to go to a place where he can build value. He has none right now. I don't even think he'll get more than a MLE type deal (which is still good money though). He'll need to weigh his options. Good news for him is that he's still only 24. But there's a real slippery slope to him becoming the next Tyrus Thomas.
That's on Rich Paul.

It's like he doesn't realize that he only got those deals for Smith and Thompson because Lebron was on the Team and either a free agent or approaching free agency.

He totally screwed KCP and Noel out of long-term deals.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, I actually view that as a really good thing.

He is very self aware and understands the limits of his own game. Poor shot selection is often something that plagues young NBA players. Not Simmons.

I do think he will eventually add a 3 point shot, but not until he is able to shoot them somewhat efficiently. It is easy to build a winning team around a playmaker with a pass first mentality who understands proper shot selection.
The more important issue, imo , is his free throw %.

You know we are gonna see hack-a-Ben at some point in the playoffs.

I just hope it doesn't affect his confidence in taking the ball to the rim.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's on Rich Paul.

It's like he doesn't realize that he only got those deals for Smith and Thompson because Lebron was on the Team and either a free agent or approaching free agency.

He totally screwed KCP and Noel out of long-term deals.

Yup. KCP should have definitely accepted that Pistons offer. Two guys who are regretting their agent choices right now.

Worst agent move ever though has to be the guy who didn't pick up Anthony Carter's 4M (maybe 3M) contract option because he forgot to send in the paper work. Hopefully he sued his agent for that money.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. KCP should have definitely accepted that Pistons offer. Two guys who are regretting their agent choices right now.

Worst agent move ever though has to be the guy who didn't pick up Anthony Carter's 4M (maybe 3M) contract option because he forgot to send in the paper work. Hopefully he sued his agent for that money.
I remember that...lol

Yeah, the agent is still paying him until 2020.

Anthony Carter is still paid yearly by his agent, 13 years after a contract mishap

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually here is that Anthony Carter update. Says he's getting paid still by Bill Duffy in installments until the year 2020. At least Bill Duffy was a stand up guy about it. But I'm sure he also had to have some sort of professional liability insurance he could have used too.

Fun fact though in that article about Shaq. Duffy is responsible for the Heat winning another championship.

Anthony Carter still getting paid by agent 13 years after legendary mistake

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading about how the Sixers could play with Simmons and Lebron on the team. And the article, or podcast maybe, was saying that they would fit perfectly well together because they are both unselfish players who are just as comfortable dishing as they are going to the basket.

Pass first players that can score are definitely a rare bird in the NBA.

I agree

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He needs to follow the Dr. Kobe prescription of 1,000 shots a day. If he truly wants to be the player that his talent says he can be, he'll need to make sure that teams can't play off of him when he's more than 15 feet from the hoop.
He's 6'10, fast and quick. If the defense gives him to 15 ft, he's getting the ball in from there.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's 6'10, fast and quick. If the defense gives him to 15 ft, he's getting the ball in from there.

It's not giving him to 15 feet, it's giving him beyond 15 feet. Teams will back off of him to negate his speed and quickness and dare him to shoot from outside.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not giving him to 15 feet, it's giving him beyond 15 feet. Teams will back off of him to negate his speed and quickness and dare him to shoot from outside.

The problem that teams have discovered is that if you play off Simmons at the top of the key, he will sit there and look for the pass and if give up position he will blow by you.

This is why despite everyone and their brother saying that all teams need to do is play off Simmons and force him to shoot, the Sixers have actually improved. Simmons simply chooses not to shoot and will pace or drive depending on the situation.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem that teams have discovered is that if you play off Simmons at the top of the key, he will sit there and look for the pass and if give up position he will blow by you.

This is why despite everyone and their brother saying that all teams need to do is play off Simmons and force him to shoot, the Sixers have actually improved. Simmons simply chooses not to shoot and will pace or drive depending on the situation.

That's what's happening now, but this is the NBA. Teams will adjust and find ways to at least slow him down. For him to truly be the player he's capable of being, he'll need at least a serviceable outside shot. Lebron had the same issue when he first came into the league and so did Magic. If he can get his outside shot to their level (decent/solid, but not great), the kid will be damn near unstoppable.

Because of his size and other skills, he'll still be a very good player and all star. But if he adds a serviceable outside shot, he could become an all timer.

The way he talks about getting to the level of the great players, I expect that he'll spend much of his off-season working on that shot.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what's happening now, but this is the NBA. Teams will adjust and find ways to at least slow him down. For him to truly be the player he's capable of being, he'll need at least a serviceable outside shot. Lebron had the same issue when he first came into the league and so did Magic. If he can get his outside shot to their level (decent/solid, but not great), the kid will be damn near unstoppable.

Because of his size and other skills, he'll still be a very good player and all star. But if he adds a serviceable outside shot, he could become an all timer.

The way he talks about getting to the level of the great players, I expect that he'll spend much of his off-season working on that shot.

Oh I completely agree. He doesn't necessarily need to have a good 3 pointer but he needs a reliable 18-20 footer if he wants to become elite.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What you're saying is you'll let him get to 15 feet from the basket.
And I'm saying that once he's there, he's a filthy beast.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you're saying is you'll let him get to 15 feet from the basket.
And I'm saying that once he's there, he's a filthy beast.

Agree, that's why they won't back off of him from 15 feet in. That's borderline suicidal. But if he doesn't improve that outside shot, they'll start daring him to shoot it by backing off of him.

Teams did the same thing to Magic and Lebron, so they developed respectable outside shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.