• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5 Games in...

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....and I'm sick of the overtime games. Just like last year, they need to score more in regulation.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think you guys have played more games in OT than any team post lockout

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think you guys have played more games in OT than any team post lockout

Maybe, but since Sid has been hurt the team seems to play an overtime game every other night.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
truth, gotta be grueling on the players.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but since Sid has been hurt the team seems to play an overtime game every other night.

Yeah they are getting old the amount they play and will take a toll on a team but are still fun to watch.

Anyway it seems they play a style not to lose when Crosby is out. Let's hope that changes with Malkin, Sullivan and Neal working well together.

Another reason I can't wait for Crosby to get back then Kunitz will be usefull again, it pains me watching him play as a bottom 6 forward since he doesn't have a playmaking center.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even like Crosby but I am a little worried for him. After seeing what happened to Lindros hopefully Crosby has taken enough time off that he doesn't fall off like that. After Lindros started getting concussion problems he wasn't the same anymore. Didn't play full tilt like he used to. He was hesitant and worried about getting hit. It's hard to be great when you have to worry about getting injured like that.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah they are getting old the amount they play and will take a toll on a team but are still fun to watch.

Anyway it seems they play a style not to lose when Crosby is out. Let's hope that changes with Malkin, Sullivan and Neal working well together.

Another reason I can't wait for Crosby to get back then Kunitz will be usefull again, it pains me watching him play as a bottom 6 forward since he doesn't have a playmaking center.

Very true, at the end of last season they were essentially the Nashville Predators. This year it seems to be the same though. I don't know, I like the style they play which creates controlled chaos in the offensive zone, but I hope DB finds a way to better utilize Malkin's talents. They need to be more precise in the offensive zone, and stop playing like they are all Tyler Kennedy.

Hopefully Neal-Malkin-Sullivan becomes an entity like Cooke-Staal-Kennedy did, that cannot be broken up. If they switch Neal to Sid's wing when he comes back, it will be a shame.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even like Crosby but I am a little worried for him. After seeing what happened to Lindros hopefully Crosby has taken enough time off that he doesn't fall off like that. After Lindros started getting concussion problems he wasn't the same anymore. Didn't play full tilt like he used to. He was hesitant and worried about getting hit. It's hard to be great when you have to worry about getting injured like that.

I think Sid's status is more analogous to Pierre Marc Bouchard (than Lindros), in that he had a concussion, essentially sat out an entire season, and has come back without any lingering effects, thus far. Although no one ever knows.

Lindros and Savard seem to be analogous.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Sid's status is more analogous to Pierre Marc Bouchard (than Lindros), in that he had a concussion, essentially sat out an entire season, and has come back without any lingering effects, thus far. Although no one ever knows.

if there were no lingering effects after what has it been 8 months, wouldn't he be playing now?

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if there were no lingering effects after what has it been 8 months, wouldn't he be playing now?

I was referring to Bouchard, in that he sat out an year, and has come back since then, and has been able to play without any concussion like effects.

I am hoping that Crosby will be in the same boat.

DeathByEmu

Large Flightless Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Can't complain about the effort, once again. Points in all games so far. And the two they lost could have easily gone the other way, and in fact should have been a win against the Caps.

Like the thread states, it's only 5 games in. The polarity of every team will flip several times from now to April.

Remember in December last year.. had the playoffs started then we'd have another Cup most thought... conversely in 2009 most of the world, myself included, were spending February looking at the upcoming draft options because the season looked like it was a wash.

Flyers looked dead to the world when 2010 started, they ended up in the Finals.

After last year, I just enjoy every game one at a time... even overtime out west at damn near 1 am... good lord that was just wrong for the working man.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can never complain about the effort of the team, but I sometimes worry that HCDB preaches too much muck and grind, and not enough precision offensively.

DeathByEmu

Large Flightless Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Can never complain about the effort of the team, but I sometimes worry that HCDB preaches too much muck and grind, and not enough precision offensively.

I get that too. But I wonder, how much can you preach skills to a group of mostly 3rd line..er.. muckers and grinders? Kind of built the team to be just that, with guys like Kunitz and Neal the excellent exceptions that can do both at a high level (ouch on the Kun whiff last night, of course).

IMO, Ray and Dan's idea of a perfect team would consist of 9 Neal/Kunitz types and 4 Jordan Staals down the middle. They just got handed the luxury of an 87 and 71 to start with.

SuperFlyer13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You should read the thread I posted called "and it just gets better" Peter Mueller for the AV"S did the same thing and sat out all last year, after 3 games he was pulled off the ice do to recurring symptoms, you just never know how serious these things are or how long they'll linger.

DeathByEmu

Large Flightless Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You should read the thread I posted called "and it just gets better" Peter Mueller for the AV"S did the same thing and sat out all last year, after 3 games he was pulled off the ice do to recurring symptoms, you just never know how serious these things are or how long they'll linger.

Exactly, it's a total crap shoot, regardless of the recent increased research.

Crosby may never have another one, or he may go out after the first bump.

But, for the most part, time away has usually shown to help rather than hinder.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea, never know it's such a crapshoot. Hopefully that isn't the case with Sid.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that too. But I wonder, how much can you preach skills to a group of mostly 3rd line..er.. muckers and grinders? Kind of built the team to be just that, with guys like Kunitz and Neal the excellent exceptions that can do both at a high level (ouch on the Kun whiff last night, of course).

IMO, Ray and Dan's idea of a perfect team would consist of 9 Neal/Kunitz types and 4 Jordan Staals down the middle. They just got handed the luxury of an 87 and 71 to start with.

I wouldn't doubt that. RS loves himself those tough American/Canadian kids.

mtm166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 games in, the things I like:
1.Neal has seemed to regain his scoring ability. Finally, he's getting shots of quicker and they are getting through.
2. The PP overall has gotten off to a better start, and it looks like more emphasis on a disruptive net front presence--not just standing there hoping for a rebound.
3. Letang looks good all around

things I don't like:
1. 5 on 5 play has to improve
2. been disappointed in the defensive play of both Martin and Michalek. I think they'll come around
3. The PP. see above. Started off smokin hot, but the last few games its reverting. Guys are having trouble entering the zone and setting up and that throws the whole thing out of whack. IMO, Letang should be the guy bringing the puck in.
4. Geno--I'm getting more and more worried about his durability. He needs to be healthy for this team to go places.

All in all, it's October, and the Guins have points in every game but one so far. can't complain too much. if they get and stay healthy, and the PP remains at least viable this team will be there in the end