• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2018!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I hope we get more out of Lehtera than St. Louis did, the two 1st round picks we acquired in that deal will likely ensure that we win that trade in the long term.

Even while holding that contract and the likes of MacDonald/Read, we still manage to have over $12.5 million in cap space. That is more than enough to sign guys like Vecchione, Stolarz and Patrick while inserting the likes of Hagg, Morin and Lindblom.

That #19 jersey is sitting there, waiting to be claimed by Patrick too. And despite the two being friends, he may be an immediate upgrade over Schenn.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good article here. Doesn't go in to too much detail on the contracts, but Lehtera will be up in 2019 when they have to sign Simmonds, Provorov, and Konecny. That 5.25 for Schenn would look mighty bad if it prevented signing one of those. Trying to get ahead of things compared to what the black hawks had to do this summer.

I like the deal. I think they can replace his production on the PP with some of the young guys. 5 on 5 he's no loss.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like the draft results quite a bit also. Obviously like the Patrick pick. I think Frost was taken a bit wary but Ratcliffe a bit late. Flip them and it makes more sense. So great result for both picks. Essentially 3 first rounders this year. Plus an extra one next year probably.

Future is bright. Get your shades boys.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also really like the Strome pick. If someone can teach him how to skate, he could be the steal of the draft.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The longer this goes, the less likely I think that Weal resigns with us. Someone must want to pay him too much based on his success in 23 games. 8g 4a = 12 pts. Over 82 games that would be about 43 points. We still need a 1 LW and a goalie. Slim pickings on the UFA LW market. Marleau is the only 30 goal scorer. Sharp is there but makes too much for his return. Maybe Vanek can be had for 2 years - $5,000,000 for a $2.5 cap hit. Maybe try to bring Justin Williams back for 2 years? He had 24g and 24a for 48 pts and made made $3.25.
As for a goalie, we should have up to $4.5 to spend. Mase looks to be the best of the UFA's and made $4.1 last year but it looks like that ship has sailed. Otherwise Bernier and Elliott are out there and should definitely cost less than $4.5.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article here. Doesn't go in to too much detail on the contracts, but Lehtera will be up in 2019 when they have to sign Simmonds, Provorov, and Konecny. That 5.25 for Schenn would look mighty bad if it prevented signing one of those. Trying to get ahead of things compared to what the black hawks had to do this summer.

I like the deal. I think they can replace his production on the PP with some of the young guys. 5 on 5 he's no loss.

Sanheim is also up in 2019. Could be an additional contract with a measurable value that needs to be done in the same year.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The longer this goes, the less likely I think that Weal resigns with us. Someone must want to pay him too much based on his success in 23 games. 8g 4a = 12 pts. Over 82 games that would be about 43 points. We still need a 1 LW and a goalie. Slim pickings on the UFA LW market. Marleau is the only 30 goal scorer. Sharp is there but makes too much for his return. Maybe Vanek can be had for 2 years - $5,000,000 for a $2.5 cap hit. Maybe try to bring Justin Williams back for 2 years? He had 24g and 24a for 48 pts and made made $3.25.
As for a goalie, we should have up to $4.5 to spend. Mase looks to be the best of the UFA's and made $4.1 last year but it looks like that ship has sailed. Otherwise Bernier and Elliott are out there and should definitely cost less than $4.5.

I think the Schenn trade showed that Hextall recognizes that this team isn't ready to be a Cup contender yet, so why waste money on aging veterans who will just take playing time away from the young guys? Sign another goalie yes, and maybe re-sign Weal if the price is right, but otherwise let the young guys play so you can find out what you really have. Sign a couple of key free agents in a couple of years when you see where the holes are left after the youth movement matures.

Also, don't forget Lindblom. While he's not the immediate answer at 1 LW, signs are pointing to him being given a real chance to make the team at LW.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd like to say this is a no brainer, assuming they aren't going to re-sign Mason, but at this point I cant predict what Hextall is going to do in net.

You have to think that Neuvy contract backfired. Maybe they had a deal in place with Vegas way back when for Vegas to take Neuvy, but then Pitt didn't move Fleury and Fleury had a good playoff run. Vegas backs out of the deal to take Fleury, Flyers are stuck with Neuvy on a stupid contract. That's the only way that signing makes any sense to me.

I'd rather have Stolarz as the every day starter than see Neuvy split time in net again next year.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to say this is a no brainer, assuming they aren't going to re-sign Mason, but at this point I cant predict what Hextall is going to do in net.

You have to think that Neuvy contract backfired. Maybe they had a deal in place with Vegas way back when for Vegas to take Neuvy, but then Pitt didn't move Fleury and Fleury had a good playoff run. Vegas backs out of the deal to take Fleury, Flyers are stuck with Neuvy on a stupid contract. That's the only way that signing makes any sense to me.

I'd rather have Stolarz as the every day starter than see Neuvy split time in net again next year.

I think the signing had to do with the expansion draft exposure requirements. Signing Neuvy gave them the choice of who to protect between him and Stolarz, with both of them meeting the exposure requirements.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the signing had to do with the expansion draft exposure requirements. Signing Neuvy gave them the choice of who to protect between him and Stolarz, with both of them meeting the exposure requirements.

Why not sign Mase instead though? Not to get too confrontational, but if anyone thinks Neuvy is the better goalie they are wrong. Hextall included.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not sign Mase instead though? Not to get too confrontational, but if anyone thinks Neuvy is the better goalie they are wrong. Hextall included.

Maybe Mason wouldn't sign at that point, knowing he would possibly be Vegas exposure fodder? I haven't gotten the sense that he has a high opinion of the Flyers since the season ended. Perhaps I'm giving Hextall to much credit but I agree with your thoughts. It just seems likely that they couldn't come to terms with Mason at the time, so were forced to turn to Neuvirth.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Mason wouldn't sign at that point, knowing he would possibly be Vegas exposure fodder? I haven't gotten the sense that he has a high opinion of the Flyers since the season ended. Perhaps I'm giving Hextall to much credit but I agree with your thoughts. It just seems likely that they couldn't come to terms with Mason at the time, so were forced to turn to Neuvirth.

I guess that's fair. Maybe Mase didn't sign then. That would make sense, I didn't really think of that.

Just because I was preparing to argue already, and I enjoy this.. :)

Over the past two seasons, in the time Neuvy has been injured and therefore Mase was THE #1 guy, he's played in 42 games and has a .919 sv% (stopping 1074 shots of 1169 taken).

Of the 29 goalies that played at least 42 games last season, he'd be tied for 9th in the league. Ahead of Crawford, Rinne, Andersen, Vasilevsky, Rask, Allen, Lundqvist, Jones, Pickard, Mrazek. To name a few that people have clamored for or clamored for "someone like".

The Flyers needed to stop shitting on Mason and just give him the starter's role. Believe it or not, HES EARNED IT!

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that's fair. Maybe Mase didn't sign then. That would make sense, I didn't really think of that.

Over the past two seasons, in the time Neuvy has been injured and therefore Mase was THE #1 guy, he's played in 42 games and has a .919 sv% (stopping 1074 shots of 1169 taken).

Of the 29 goalies that played at least 42 games last season, he'd be tied for 9th in the league. Ahead of Crawford, Rinne, Andersen, Vasilevsky, Rask, Allen, Lundqvist, Jones, Pickard, Mrazek. To name a few that people have clamored for or clamored for "someone like".

The Flyers needed to stop shitting on Mason and just give him the starter's role. Believe it or not, HES EARNED IT!

Hakstol fucked up the goalie situation,as well as his line shuffling act.
I hope to hell,Hexy doesn't let him screw around with the lineups next year.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that Mase wants too much money and term. Hexy knows that he can't do this with the young goalies coming up. Hence he signed Neuvy to not only meet the requirements but he's a cheaper backup for now plus a vet.

I do believe that Mase can be good especially with a better D but so can the younger cheaper guys so he's now in a catch 22. If he drops his price you never know but someone else may sign him first...

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mason probably wants over $5 million per and also more than two seasons. Really not what we're in the market for right now with guys like Stolarz and Lyon knocking on the door.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ok, I'll give you a chance to argue with me. :D

Mason's career playoff stats - 2 wins, 9 losses, 3.37 GAA, .895 save %. That's terrible. I bring it up because I'm making a correlation between his inability to play well when he has competition for starts and his poor playoffs performances when he's also under pressure. Those 2 factors together speak to someone with poor mental fortitude, and someone you'll likely never win the Cup with. Is he a better short-term option than Neuvirth? Probably. Is he a good option for a team looking to win the Cup? No. So, given that this team is still a couple of years away from competing for a Cup, I don't really care who they sign for the next year or two. I just want to be sure they are giving the young guys some playing time.