• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

46n2's 2013 Retrospective

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, so the season is over and I have had some time to go back and reflect on it and here goes:

(A quick note: Bowls are a fun reward to players but aside from the MNCG and maybe the other BCS games they are generally sloppily played exhibitions that I just don’t get too excited about. I mean teams come off of their rivalry game high, take a month off, go home, go on a quick vacation somewhere nice with their boys, and then show up for a football game for a few hours. They are fun, and I hope we win ours but what can you really glean from them.)

On the CFB board, I picked us to go 8-4, and later revised that to a prediction of 7-5 when I saw the fistful of players leaving the program and the season ending injuries to Gregory, Malleck and RVD. I felt this would be a transitional year and our offense would probably not show much improvement. The new staff didn’t have any of their own guys in and all through the offseason we heard how little of the system had been put in place. Our D would be good, but I thought the injuries would de-claw it a bit. I figured we would lose to Bama, ECU (I was very high on them this year and being our first true road game and a nooner I saw a loss) and Miami. I also figured that we would drop 1 of UNC, Pitt or GT (2 after injuries). I did not expect three of the losses would be to Maryland, BC and Duke. BC and Duke ended up being surprisingly good, but the Maryland loss was imply inexcusable.

First, the good: The defense was flat out nasty this year and the future may be even brighter. Fuller and Facyson exceeded expectations for me, obviously. Also though, the young guys on the line (Baron and Williams) played well. Bud put them out for the final drive against GT and UVA and that says something about he and Wiles confidence. The O showed progression throughout the year. They moved the ball well late in the year but couldn’t punch it in nearly enough. I feel like we outplayed all three of the teams in the late season losses but just got too many 3s or missed 3s. AJ Hughes is a special punter and not too bad of a tackler either.

Now the bad: The offensive line is a nightmare. There are moments of brilliance and a few guys who have the potential to be good (J Glock) but they looked absolutely lost out there a lot. Hopefully some of the young guys or incoming freshman can contribute right away because we are going to need them. Secondly, the special teams play was just atrocious across the board. I have spent enough keystrokes on CJ. He is gone. Good riddance. Hopefully we get consistency out of the next crop of guys and get a multi-year starter. Jarrett is allergic to fair catches and takes huge hits back there. I love his approach but worry about him getting injured. He is the QB of our defense. Knowles is fast but not too quick it seems. I am a bit shocked that we supposedly recruit so much speed and so many “athletes” but can’t have a monster return game. Maybe someone will emerge this coming Spring. I really think that Frank needs to let someone else get involved with the coaching here. Lastly, injuries sucked. Exum never got to contribute and I feel terrible for the guy. Kyle got hurt. Facyson had a couple of injuries and then Edmunds breaking his leg just sucks. I hope these guys all get fully healed and the former have long NFL careers and kill it at the combine while the latter come back and kick ass for us.

Overall the season went as I kind of expected it and I feel optimism moving nto next season. I think we have a good group of contributing young guys and a couple good recruiting classes coming in. I won’t get into specifics here but we do have holes to fill (most notably DE, LB and QB) but I think we are trending back in the right direction.

Thanks to the seniors. Gayle, Collins and Wilson wreaked havoc on opposing QBs. Skip was a beast in the middle. Jack Tyler was always around the ball and is a great story. I am convinced that Tariq Edwards was our defensive MVP and we saw how much he was missed last season. Exum and Fuller are great players and great people and I am sure we will see them for years to come on Sundays and on our sidelines. Logan is a straight worker. He had ups and downs but he never sulked, said a bad word, lost his composure or refused to go back in. He played hurt and was the majority of the offense the last two years. He gets a ton of criticism but nobody can question his work ethic and pain tolerance, that’s for sure. Miller was a good leader on the OL and Coles a good guy in the slot who also fought through a lot of injuries.

Enjoy the bowl. Let’s hope we continue to progress and as always Go Hokies!

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blah blah, blahbbity blah... I almost got the W/L prediction right... blah blah... Defense = Goooooooooddd, Offense = sssuuuuuuucccckkkkkkeeeddd... blah, blah... hope for the future... blah... Thanks Seniors...

Nice write-up. I'd just like to add my take-aways as well...

Things I was surprised by (good, bad and ugly) -
- Our special teams fucking us, being a major reason we lost the games we did.
- Losing to BC (they, like Pitt, somehow never surprise me when they beat us... doesn't matter how good or bad they're supposed to be, never feel great about these games).
- Losing to Duke (more surprising... I knew they were going to be better, but 10-2? Well done Blue Devils)
- Losing to Maryland (What... the... fuck... right before they B1G bolt? AT HOME???)
- We probably could've gone 11-1, only losing to Bama...
- We probably could've gone 6-6, maybe even 5-7 or worse... we needed a GD, honest-to-bejesus miracle to escape from the Marshall game. Marshall... I thought we had a decent chance to lose-out after that.
- We didn't lose-out after the Marshall game
- Lil Fuller, Facyson (good)
- Our WRs all year, especially DJ Coles (bad - expected WAY more from him and them)
- Our special teams (ugly)
- At one point I created a thread about how we could sneak in the backdoor of the BCS CG

Things I was not surprised by (good, bad and ugly) -
- Our defense winning games for us (see ECU, Pitt, GT, UVA)
- Our offense losing games for us (see Duke, BC, MD)
- Kyle Fuller, Hopkins, Gayle and the LBs all playing up to snuff
- Logan Thomas still not "getting it", making bad reads, making bad throws
- Our anemic running game
- Beating UVA
- That the thread about us sneaking in the backdoor of the BCS CG immediately and completely jinxed us (or Duke played well and deserves some credit)

All in all, I'm happy to see the Logan Thomas era end. I can't wait to see what NFL franchise he interminably frustrates the hell out of in the coming year. I like the guy and he's the outright VT passing record holder in almost every category, but he just couldn't get it done. No ACC titles as a starter. No truly remarkable feats. He was just there for three years. Yea, there wasn't much help around him, but LT wasn't blameless in why we lost the 10-win season streak or why we're staring another Dec bowl in the face. I wish him all the best, but I'm not sad to see him go.

I am very interested to see who fills his size 28, (might as well add all the ESPN favs - 6-20, 356 lbs., former TE) shoes next year. Hopefully they can protect/hold onto the ball a little better and move the chains while they're at it.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re-reading this part didn't make sense...

Nice write-up. I'd just like to add my take-aways as well...

Things I was surprised by (good, bad and ugly) -
- Losing to BC (they, like Pitt, somehow never surprise me when they beat us... doesn't matter how good or bad they're supposed to be, never feel great about these games).

So I added in some explanation and got shut down because I took more than 5 mins. Thanks Obama.

Here's the edited statement -

- Losing to BC - Level of surprise - "Hey, the McRibb is back... and it still sucks"
BC, like Pitt, somehow never truly surprise me when they beat us... doesn't matter how good or bad they're supposed to be, never feel great about these games... that said, how can you describe losing to BC as anything but surprising?

- Losing to Duke - Level of surprise - "Hey Paul Walker died... how did it happen?... He drove 2Fast... Really? Yes... ... ... Wow"
Definitely more surprising... but not entirely so. I knew they were going to be better, but 10-2? Well done Blue Devils

- Losing to Maryland Level of surprise - "This movie "the Departed" is really picking up, Leo just nabbed that ahole Matt Dam OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCKKK??? Leo is dead? Oh man, that's OH SHIT THAT DUDE IS DEAD? Wow, OH JESUS, THEY'RE ALL DEAD!!"
Honestly. What... the... fuck... right before they B1G bolt? AT HOME???

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re-reading this part didn't make sense...

So I added in some explanation and got shut down because I took more than 5 mins. Thanks Obama.

Here's the edited statement -

- Losing to BC - Level of surprise - "Hey, the McRibb is back... and it still sucks"
BC, like Pitt, somehow never truly surprise me when they beat us... doesn't matter how good or bad they're supposed to be, never feel great about these games... that said, how can you describe losing to BC as anything but surprising?

- Losing to Duke - Level of surprise - "Hey Paul Walker died... how did it happen?... He drove 2Fast... Really? Yes... ... ... Wow"
Definitely more surprising... but not entirely so. I knew they were going to be better, but 10-2? Well done Blue Devils

- Losing to Maryland Level of surprise - "This movie "the Departed" is really picking up, Leo just nabbed that ahole Matt Dam OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCKKK??? Leo is dead? Oh man, that's OH SHIT THAT DUDE IS DEAD? Wow, OH JESUS, THEY'RE ALL DEAD!!"
Honestly. What... the... fuck... right before they B1G bolt? AT HOME???

Haven't seen the Departed

Thanks Asshat!

:laugh3:

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We knew the O-line would be crap this year - even worse than last year. Hopefully this was a wake up call that you can't just take years off of recruiting. Grimes seems to get this, but I am hoping we don't see tailing effects next year too.

Losing to Boston College, and then Duke and Maryland at home is a fireable offense at any other school that takes football seriously. Regardless of how 'good' you say any of the aforementioned teams were this year, it is inexcusable. I think that, along with the fact that I struggle to find words to describe how bad the Special Teams were again, make me think that VT is contempt with letting CFB ride out to pasture on his own terms. We just have to accept the fact that we'll have a solid defense, a bad o-line and offense, and horrible ST until he hangs it up, as we've grown accustomed to.

If there is one thing I hope the recent coaching staff changes can really continue bring, it's that the best players will play, regardless of year or experience.

I have no ill-feelings toward LT, but like Proof, I am not sad in the slightest to see him go. Without even speaking to his physical skills (or limitations), he just never seemed to have the leadership qualities you see in successful QBs.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't seen the Departed

Thanks Asshat!

Better get on that... and see Back to the Future 2 and 3 while you're at it.

Also, forgot to mention...

... blah, blah.... Knowles is fast but not too quick it seems...

He is one of the worst kick returners we've ever had. I am serious. I consider it a miracle when he
1) Survives the return
2) Holds onto the ball assuming 1) has happened

I've never seen a returner pussyfoot around like Knowles. He IS fast, but he's never hit top gear. Each return looks the same, like a little kid's first time in the ocean... timidly puts a foot in... sees the wave coming... tries to reverse or run sideways... WHAM! Wave hits, kid gets thrown around, comes up coughing for air and thinking "WHY THE FUCK AM I EVEN DOING THIS???"

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better get on that... and see Back to the Future 2 and 3 while you're at it.

Also, forgot to mention...

He is one of the worst kick returners we've ever had. I am serious. I consider it a miracle when he
1) Survives the return
2) Holds onto the ball assuming 1) has happened

I've never seen a returner pussyfoot around like Knowles. He IS fast, but he's never hit top gear. Each return looks the same, like a little kid's first time in the ocean... timidly puts a foot in... sees the wave coming... tries to reverse or run sideways... WHAM! Wave hits, kid gets thrown around, comes up coughing for air and thinking "WHY THE FUCK AM I EVEN DOING THIS???"

:laugh3: That is one of the best analogies I've seen in a while....and its the truth!

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just have to accept the fact that we'll have a solid defense, a bad o-line and offense, and horrible ST until he hangs it up, as we've grown accustomed to.

D, yes (assuming Foster stays). ST, probably (sadly). But I am not nearly ready to accept that we'll have a bad OL and O in general. Let's give the new coaches more than one year to get their guys in and train 'em up...

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D, yes (assuming Foster stays). ST, probably (sadly). But I am not nearly ready to accept that we'll have a bad OL and O in general. Let's give the new coaches more than one year to get their guys in and train 'em up...

I might be in the minority, but I think we'll be ok on defense if Torian Gray takes over for BF. I hope we could find someone awesome to coach the DBs if we made that move. 5-6 years ago I would've challenged me to a knife fight to the death for saying that. Now, I think Gray has proved he knows what he's doing and can be a motivator. I hope we get to keep him before he gets legit DC looks elsewhere.