• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 4) Oklahoma City Thunder vs 5) Utah Jazz

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westbrook is not the only one that can do this by himself - the Warriors have 3 guys that can score at will alone.

Westbrook's problems though is that he just doesn't utilize the tools around him on a lot of nights.

Lebron would easily be happy to switch places with Westbrook in terms of teammates.

If Lebron was on OKC with George, Melo and Adams, hell if he just had PG, they would be right there with Houston and GS imo.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was over at halftime. I’m not surprised at the comeback though, the Thunder have one of if not the best records against the top teams so we know what they are capable of. Sometimes talent wins out in spite of horrible coaching, player moves or anything else.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Lebron was on OKC with George, Melo and Adams, hell if he just had PG, they would be right there with Houston and GS imo.

I don't disagree with it. I'd even go as far as to say if you switch out Westbrook and Lebron, OKC would be title favorites. The one caveat being Melo's play or lack thereof.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not a homer, I call out the team and the players all the time. Russ does things I’ve never seen done and I’ve been around a while. KD is great too of course, just a shame they choked off what they had when they had a title won a couple years ago. But then again KD couldn’t have left without the choke job.

What choke job are you referencing? I'm curious. Because we saw KD step up last year and put the Cavs away in the Finals.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What choke job are you referencing? I'm curious. Because we saw KD step up last year and put the Cavs away in the Finals.
I would guess he is referencing being up on the Warriors and then losing the series with Durant playing rather underwhelmingly at times- esp. in clutch time.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OKC fans crack me up. I want their team to win the series but please don't come on here quoting post from last night when you were not here to give us your thoughts on OKC chances of coming back down 71-46 in the 3rd.

Take your win and shut up. Do not come on SportsHoopla this morning acting like you expected OKC to make that crazy comeback and win the game.....BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T
It wasn't even worth a response for me.

Great come back win though...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol at complaining about the refs prematurely and then taking it back after Thunder win. lol

Jazz will finish this series on Friday with another monster performance from Mitchell/Gobert/Crowder

You can acknowledge shitty officiating and still give credit to the team. Those two things are not exclussive, after the game the officiating still sucked, but the bigger part of the win was Westbrook and George remembering they are the 2 best players out there.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On his best night Westbrook can do more to impact a game than any of those Warrior guys and honestly it’s really not close.

Yet, how many people would take Westbrook over Durant or a Healthy Curry * oxymoron these days *?

That is , and always has been , his problem.

He does too much.

If George walks and you are left with a 30 million dollar Melo, maybe you'll finally see it.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potential of the duo, not the Team.

How do you not get Adams involved in the offense at all?

He should be the 3rd guy...

Seriously, what is Donovan doing in the huddles...

What is he doing in the practices?!?!

Do they have any set plays or is it just iso, iso, iso?

Does Donovan know they have practices?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams that have little star power, but manage successful regular seasons through solid team play tend not to do so great in the playoffs. There have been exceptions of course, but I see the Jazz in this boat. (Along with the Pacers, Heat and to a lesser extent the 76ers).

I think the Thunder will win in surprisingly quick fashion.

I was very wrong.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday there was a sequence that pretty much encompasses my views on Westbrook.

During their run, Westbrook had hit a few long 2's. Then he comes down and hits a pull up 3. He's obviously got a pretty hot hand going. The very next possession, he gets a high screen and roll. The defender goes under the screen. I see him slowing up just after the screen. In my head I'm thinking "oh, he's going to just take another long 2 because that's what he does".

Instead he attacked the basket and when the defenders sagged in on him he kicked the ball out to Abrines in the corner who was wide open for a 3 and knocked it down.

That is what Russ is capable of. He's a menace going to the basket and if he learned to just control when and where he picks his spots he could be even more dominant than he already is. That sequence showed me that he wasn't about himself in the moment. He had the hot hand and it was absolutely justifiable for him jacking up every shot he wanted. But he made the RIGHT play for his team.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can acknowledge shitty officiating and still give credit to the team. Those two things are not exclussive, after the game the officiating still sucked, but the bigger part of the win was Westbrook and George remembering they are the 2 best players out there.
That guy is a shi
Yesterday there was a sequence that pretty much encompasses my views on Westbrook.

During their run, Westbrook had hit a few long 2's. Then he comes down and hits a pull up 3. He's obviously got a pretty hot hand going. The very next possession, he gets a high screen and roll. The defender goes under the screen. I see him slowing up just after the screen. In my head I'm thinking "oh, he's going to just take another long 2 because that's what he does".

Instead he attacked the basket and when the defenders sagged in on him he kicked the ball out to Abrines in the corner who was wide open for a 3 and knocked it down.

That is what Russ is capable of. He's a menace going to the basket and if he learned to just control when and where he picks his spots he could be even more dominant than he already is. That sequence showed me that he wasn't about himself in the moment. He had the hot hand and it was absolutely justifiable for him jacking up every shot he wanted. But he made the RIGHT play for his team.
Yeah, can't refute any of this.

Just wish he did it more.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've watched Westbrook as much as anyone. This happens more than you realize. But after repeatedly passing to players who miss open shots it gets old and he does everything himself.
If anyone wants to argue durant. Again I will say I watched them as much as anyone and durant would dribble out the shot clock in OKC's stupid iso offense not get the shot he wanted and pass to Westbrook with 5 seconds left to make something happen.
I'm not trying to get anyone to agree with me. This are just facts as I've seen them happen over the years.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess he is referencing being up on the Warriors and then losing the series with Durant playing rather underwhelmingly at times- esp. in clutch time.

I figured as much. Then why didn't the almighty Russ put OKC on his back and win?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! What a gag job! That was one for the ages.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've watched Westbrook as much as anyone. This happens more than you realize. But after repeatedly passing to players who miss open shots it gets old and he does everything himself.
If anyone wants to argue durant. Again I will say I watched them as much as anyone and durant would dribble out the shot clock in OKC's stupid iso offense not get the shot he wanted and pass to Westbrook with 5 seconds left to make something happen.
I'm not trying to get anyone to agree with me. This are just facts as I've seen them happen over the years.
Boy, he certainly doesn't do that now. Time after time he saves a possession when given the ball late in the shot clock and finds a way to get it in the basket. Seems like the only defense for him is just to hope he misses the shot. he's unguardable.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Obviously you have a larger sample size of viewing, it's just my take on him has always been the opposite.

The thing about Lebron is that he gets so much shit for not taking last minute shots or forcing the issue, but for me I think he just makes the right play 99% of the time. I get how Russ can get frustrated, but he still needs to not get in that mode of wanting to do it all. The more you rely on your teammates and give them opportunities the more confidence it stems in the team. IMO.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy, he certainly doesn't do that now. Time after time he saves a possession when given the ball late in the shot clock and finds a way to get it in the basket. Seems like the only defense for him is just to hope he misses the shot. he's unguardable.

Gs runs a better offense. It's not straight iso.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously you have a larger sample size of viewing, it's just my take on him has always been the opposite.

The thing about Lebron is that he gets so much shit for not taking last minute shots or forcing the issue, but for me I think he just makes the right play 99% of the time. I get how Russ can get frustrated, but he still needs to not get in that mode of wanting to do it all. The more you rely on your teammates and give them opportunities the more confidence it stems in the team. IMO.

No doubt Lebron hasn't had much help over the years in Cleveland. The difference between him and Lebron carrying the team is Lebron is big enough to physically dominate anyone guarding him. Also he's a better 3 point shooter than Westbrook.
To me for Westbrook to take his game to the next level he needs to get his 3pt fg% in the upper 30's to low 40's. That's the thing separating his game from Jordan and kobe.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt Lebron hasn't had much help over the years in Cleveland. The difference between him and Lebron carrying the team is Lebron is big enough to physically dominate anyone guarding him. Also he's a better 3 point shooter than Westbrook.
To me for Westbrook to take his game to the next level he needs to get his 3pt fg% in the upper 30's to low 40's. That's the thing separating his game from Jordan and kobe.

Definitely. Russ's current game is not built for the long haul. Once your explosiveness starts to wane, you can't impact the game in other ways offensively if you can't shoot the ball.

I agree that upping his 3 pt percentage would help, but shot selection would also help there too. I see Russ take way too many off the dribble 3's. Those are the hardest to hit. He just needs one to keep the defense honest in catch and shoot situations. Makes him more dangerous off the ball, which I think the Thunder should utilize him in more. Use him in weakside action where he can attack the basket.