• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

3rd and short

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
One thing I noticed on Alex'es two scoring drives last night was the playcalling setup 3rd and short almost every time. And the offense kept converting them.
I think this was by design.

I kept thinking back to last year where we ran twice and telegraphed the runs so we'd end up in 3rd and long most of the time.

Alex looked good on the methodical, long drives last night.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One thing I noticed on Alex'es two scoring drives last night was the playcalling setup 3rd and short almost every time. And the offense kept converting them.
I think this was by design.

I kept thinking back to last year where we ran twice and telegraphed the runs so we'd end up in 3rd and long most of the time.

Alex looked good on the methodical, long drives last night.

You are spot-on Maniax!

We attempted to pick up 4 1st downs on 3rd down with designed running plays; we picked up 3 of the 4.

When I saw Smith hand off to Hunter on the 3rd & 3 I was shaking my head thinking about last year - But, if we can do this (below) in the regular season, we are really going to open up the field for our offense. Btw, we were 2 for 2 on 3rd down on each of our TD drives.

Here are the running plays we used for 1st downs - notice the direction.

3rd and 3 at SD 38 K.Hunter left end ran ob at SD 17 for 21 yards.
3rd and 3 at SD 15 A.Dixon up the middle to SD 11 for 4 yards.
3rd and 2 at SF 28 A.Dixon up the middle to SF 35 for 7 yards.
3rd and 8 at SF 33 X.Omon up the middle to SF 40 for 7 yards.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Every successful offense finds themselves in 3rd and short more than 3rd and long and one reason we did so poorly on offense last year.

The reason I have hope for the offense and team this season is when Smith has been given time this preseason he has been able to drive down the field rather well and that should improve as the season goes on.

People will complain about it being too much dink and dunk but it's actually the kind of offense we need since we're not going to be a high flying offense like the Saints and Packers so controlling the TOP is going to be vital for success this season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Every successful offense finds themselves in 3rd and short more than 3rd and long and one reason we did so poorly on offense last year.

The reason I have hope for the offense and team this season is when Smith has been given time this preseason he has been able to drive down the field rather well and that should improve as the season goes on.

People will complain about it being too much dink and dunk but it's actually the kind of offense we need since we're not going to be a high flying offense like the Saints and Packers so controlling the TOP is going to be vital for success this season.

well said.

WAY back, when Walsh's offense first started to gain traction, the WCO was dink and dunk. but those early offenses kept executing plays, thus kept getting positive plays. three yards here, four yards there, and before you know it, its the red zone.

so to START the Harbaugh era, if this works best for our personnel, do it. this is just to start off this unusual season is all, nothing permanent.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Very good points need to work on fewer penalties, fewer turnovers, better STs. This will lead more Possession Time, more points, less time on the field for the Defense. All positive things that we can accomplish. Go 49ers!!

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly... last season it was either 2 handoffs up the gut for a couple yards or incomplete first down and a run for no gain on second down. Until we were down by 20 and then we just threw it. It was one of the most frustrating seasons to watch.