• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Rosterbation

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
River Cats are kicking our butts because we sent them all down.
Yup, all the hitters and pitchers that appeared in that game for RiverCats were in big league camp at one time this spring (either spring training invites or 40 man roster guys). Of course one of them is still technically with the big league camp - Mason Black. And he did a great job shutting down the Giants' close to starting lineup.
It should be pointed out that all but one of the Giants' pitchers are not even in big league camp any longer. Nor are three of the offensive replacements. But, again, the starting lineup was pretty close to what we will see on Opening Day.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants have narrowed the field of players in camp to 34. Per sfgiants.com, Snell is unlikely to be ready until either the Dodgers' road series or Padres' home series. Thus, he may not be on the Opening Day roster. However, it is possible that they keep him active and wait until the 5th game of the season (April 2nd) to pitch him. We will see.
Players left in camp:
Starting pitchers (7) - Mason Black, Alex Cobb, Kyle Harrison, Jordan Hicks, Blake Snell, Logan Webb, Keaton Winn
Relief pitchers (8) - Camio Doval, Luke Jackson, Daulton Jefferies, Taylor Rogers, Tyler Rogers, Landen Roupp, Juan Sanchez, Ryan Walker
Catchers (4) - Patrick Bailey, Joey Bart, Tom Murphy, Blake Sabol
Infielders (8) - Nick Ahmed, Matt Chapman, Thairo Estrada, Tyler Fitzgerald, Wilmer Flores, Marco Luciano, Pablo Sandoval, Lamonte Wade
Outfielders (7) - Michael Conforto, Jung Hoo Lee, Luis Matos, Ismael Munguia, Austin Slater, Jorge Soler, Mike Yastrzemski

The 8 cuts have to do with 2 starting pitchers, 2 catchers, 2 infielders and 2 outfielders.

Sandoval is pretty obvious at this point. He'll get a send off in the series with the A's.
Surprisingly, the shortstop battle isn't settled. Luciano is still in the running. If Ahmed isn't given the starting nod, do they keep him and option Fitzgerald?
Bart was healthy enough to catch today, which means the Giants will have to cut him rather than put him on the IL. Sabol is a surprise that he is still at camp.
Slater played DH but will he be ready for outfield duty? That question will determine whether one of Matos or Munguia makes the team.
If both Cobb and Snell aren't ready for the 1st week of season, then both the starting rotation (minus them) and the relief corp look set.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my guess on how the Giants will handle Snell. I think that they will put him on the active roster come Opening Day. If they do not, and Alex Cobb does start the year on the IL, they will need to add 4 to 5 (depending on if they keep Ahmed) players to the 40 man roster. That is a lot.
However, if Snell is on the active roster, then either Black, Jefferies or Roupp do not have to be added to the 40 man roster. This would mean that the Giants would only need to add 3 to 4 players to the 40. We all expect Bart's spot to open up. However, passing another 3 to 4 players through waivers is a bit much, maybe even for FZ. We will see how the next week shakes out.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my guess on how the Giants will handle Snell. I think that they will put him on the active roster come Opening Day. If they do not, and Alex Cobb does start the year on the IL, they will need to add 4 to 5 (depending on if they keep Ahmed) players to the 40 man roster. That is a lot.
However, if Snell is on the active roster, then either Black, Jefferies or Roupp do not have to be added to the 40 man roster. This would mean that the Giants would only need to add 3 to 4 players to the 40. We all expect Bart's spot to open up. However, passing another 3 to 4 players through waivers is a bit much, maybe even for FZ. We will see how the next week shakes out.
I don't think Roupp makes the 40. I think Black and Jefferies do. My guess is Cobb starts on the IL. Ahmed will make the 40; Luci will go to AAA (but not for long).

SP: Webb, Harry, Hicks, Black, Snell
RP: Doval, Jax, Tyler, Taylor, Walker, Small, Jefferies, Winn
C: Bales, Murph
IF: LWJ, Wilmer, Tyro, Ahmed, Chappy, Fitz
OF: Yaz, Lee, Forto, Slater
DH: Soler

Cobb returning pushes Black to the bullpen and somebody to AAA -- Jefferies or Winn.

By my count that's three spots needed for Black, Jefferies, and Ahmed. Bart is one

The other two could be from McDonald, Miller, RanRod, Hummel, Ramos, Villar

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest WAG…

Webb
Harrison
Hicks
Snell (I believe there is some ability to leave him back for extended ST, but I don’t fully understand it)
Black (NRI)
Winn

Doval
Rogers
Rogers
Jackson
Walker
Sanchez (NRI)
Jefferies (NRI)

Bailey
Murphy

Wade
Flores
Estrada
Ahmed (NRI)/Luciano (I am beginning to think Luciano will win this comp)
Chapman
Fitzgerald

Yastrzemski
Lee
Conforto
Matos
Soler

IL
Cobb
Slater
Small

Assuming Luciano beats Ahmed, that means we will need 3 spot (Bart +2). They may also buy some time with Bart by starting Black in Richmond or Sacto and carrying 3 catchers to start instead. But that still requires 2 DFAs. Who gets the ax?

Hjelle
Hummel
Lopez
Ramos
Rodriguez
Villar
Wisely

My guess? Ramos and Hummel.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest WAG…

Webb
Harrison
Hicks
Snell (I believe there is some ability to leave him back for extended ST, but I don’t fully understand it)
Black (NRI)
Winn

Doval
Rogers
Rogers
Jackson
Walker
Sanchez (NRI)
Jefferies (NRI)

Bailey
Murphy

Wade
Flores
Estrada
Chapman
Fitzgerald

Yastrzemski
Lee
Conforto
Matos
Soler

IL
Cobb
Slater
Small

Assuming Luciano beats Ahmed, that means we will need 3 spot (Bart +2). They may also buy some time with Bart by starting Black in Richmond or Sacto and carrying 3 catchers to start instead. But that still requires 2 DFAs. Who gets the ax?

Hjelle
Hummel
Lopez
Ramos
Rodriguez
Villar
Wisely

My bad. I thought Small was ok to pitch. If he's on the IL then we will need somebody like Miller as a second LHR.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest WAG…

Webb
Harrison
Hicks
Black (NRI)
Winn

Doval
Rogers
Rogers
Jackson
Walker
Sanchez (NRI)
Jefferies (NRI)

Bailey
Murphy

Wade
Flores
Estrada
Chapman
Fitzgerald

Yastrzemski
Lee
Conforto
Matos
Soler

IL
Cobb
Slater
Small

Hjelle
Hummel
Lopez
Ramos
Rodriguez
Villar
Wisely

Solid guesses on Ramos and Hummel. I think Ramos gets through waivers as well. I think they like Lopez, RanRod, VR, Jelly, and Wise.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest WAG…

Webb
Harrison
Hicks
Black (NRI)
Winn

Doval
Rogers
Rogers
Jackson
Walker
Sanchez (NRI)
Jefferies (NRI)

Bailey
Murphy

Wade
Flores
Estrada
Chapman
Fitzgerald

Yastrzemski
Lee
Conforto
Matos
Soler

IL
Cobb
Slater
Small

Hjelle
Hummel
Lopez
Ramos
Rodriguez
Villar
Wisely

Solid guesses on Ramos and Hummel. I think Ramos gets through waivers as well. I think they like Lopez, RanRod, VR, Jelly, and Wise.
It is possible that Hjelle starts the year on the IL.
I think that those are solid guesses on 40 man casualties. However, I would add Miller as a possibility. The Giants seemed to give up early on him being a viable option in a bullpen with three spots up for competition. That does say something.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know that they actually LIKE Hjelle, as much as they need the bully flexibility. He is a sacrificial piece they can use for mop up if needed right now. I doubt he will finish the season in the org.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad. I thought Small was ok to pitch. If he's on the IL then we will need somebody like Miller as a second LHR.
I have not been keeping super close tabs on all the ins and outs. I haven’t heard anything specifically about Small in quite some time, so my assumption he was starting on the IL is simply unchanged from previous assumptions. If you have heard anything, let’s go with your take here.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if anyone else is watching the game tonight but three things leapt out at me:
1. Hicks is absolutely FILTHY. 5 IP, 0 H 10K
2. Murphy is a large human. 2 solo bombs and he made it look easy
3. I know it's Monday night and it's preseason, but there can't be more than 2,000 people at the game in Oakland. Sad.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants now have more wins than the dodgers in spring training. It’s happening!! It’s happening !!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if everyone is aware, but teams can only carry 165 players in the minors during the year. This is down from 180 players just last season. This won't impact prospects in the organization, but it does hurt the veteran minor leaguers. That's 450 jobs that have disappeared.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if everyone is aware, but teams can only carry 165 players in the minors during the year. This is down from 180 players just last season. This won't impact prospects in the organization, but it does hurt the veteran minor leaguers. That's 450 jobs that have disappeared.
I was not aware. Probably means more players getting released before minor league season starts.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants down to 30 players in camp.
Sandoval's removal will result in 29 players.
With Black and Sanchez reassigned, it it seems that both Snell and Cobb are deemed ready for Opening Day. I am surprised that the Giants went with Roupp over Sanchez. Interesting decision.
Bart will obviously be gone soon. That puts it down to 28 players.
With Ahmed going to be on the 26 man roster, does this mean Luciano starts and Ahmed is a backup? If so, Fitzgerald is optioned soon. However, if Ahmed is going to be the starting shortstop, then its likely Luciano gets optioned. However that shakes out, one of them being optioned puts the roster down to 27.
Slater's health will determine whether or not Matos gets optioned. So it will either be Slater to the IL or Matos to Sacramento, setting the roster at 26.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know the parameters of this limitation (i.e. do guys in the minors who are also on the 40 man roster count? Do guys on the 60 day or full season IL count? Do guys assigned to extended spring training count?) but the Giants seem to be way over. By my estimation, they have 257 players under contract, not counting any players optioned on the 40 man roster.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know the parameters of this limitation (i.e. do guys in the minors who are also on the 40 man roster count? Do guys on the 60 day or full season IL count? Do guys assigned to extended spring training count?) but the Giants seem to be way over. By my estimation, they have 257 players under contract, not counting any players optioned on the 40 man roster.
I don't think anyone on the IL or the 40 man count against the minor league limit

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know nothing about this limit and have only heard about it here.

That said, might this restriction be part of a bigger plan to apply ceilings and floors to salaries?