• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Rosterbation

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
per BoMel it looks that way. I like Matos on the roster.
I think Matos has made some serious damage to that door with all his kicking at it this spring. But I don’t want him riding pine. And I am not sure there is playing time with the big club right now.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Matos has made some serious damage to that door with all his kicking at it this spring. But I don’t want him riding pine. And I am not sure there is playing time with the big club right now.
Munguia could be a dark horse to make the team, if the Giants don't want Matos on the bench. However, that would require yet another move on the 40 man roster so that is very dark horse.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Munguia could be a dark horse to make the team, if the Giants don't want Matos on the bench. However, that would require yet another move on the 40 man roster so that is very dark horse.
And Munguia is still an actual prospect. I want him playing as well.

I think they moved super fast with Meckler BECAUSE he isn’t really much of a prospect. They were just trying to capture his lightning last year. Rushing him didn’t have much of a cost since they didn’t have huge expectations for his future (my ignorant take with no sources backing up that opinion)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he'll get ML ABs. Keep in mind all the other healthy OFs are LH. He's gonna start when we face a lefty.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Munguia is still an actual prospect. I want him playing as well.

I think they moved super fast with Meckler BECAUSE he isn’t really much of a prospect. They were just trying to capture his lightning last year. Rushing him didn’t have much of a cost since they didn’t have huge expectations for his future (my ignorant take with no sources backing up that opinion)
I've gotten the impression that Munguia falls more in the Meckler category but if they see him as more than that, great! Of course, they've moved him up slowly in the org, opposite of Meckler.
Speaking of Meckler, I wonder if they bring him back to camp with Slater down. Could be a possibility if they think Slater is not ready and don't feel Matos will get enough playing time.
Also, related to Meckler, I wonder where Vaun Brown has fallen in the depth charts. Does he go back to AA and get one more chance? Or has he become backup outfield fodder for whichever team needs it the most?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've gotten the impression that Munguia falls more in the Meckler category but if they see him as more than that, great! Of course, they've moved him up slowly in the org, opposite of Meckler.
Speaking of Meckler, I wonder if they bring him back to camp with Slater down. Could be a possibility if they think Slater is not ready and don't feel Matos will get enough playing time.
Also, related to Meckler, I wonder where Vaun Brown has fallen in the depth charts. Does he go back to AA and get one more chance? Or has he become backup outfield fodder for whichever team needs it the most?
Brown didn’t have a lot of pedigree before ‘22 (he was a 10th rounder). And once he hit AA, he completely disappeared. Iirc, he was fighting injuries last year, so he isn’t a trash heap candidate YET, but he lost a good deal of the luster he gained in ‘22. He has speed and defense, though, so he has skills that don’t slump, so at worst, he should be decent minor league depth for a few more years.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked up Munguia. Cancel everything I said. I remembered incorrectly. He isn’t really a prospect. It actually looks like the Giants cut ties with him last year and he just came back as a FA NRI this year. Maybe he can make the club as a throw away filler.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked up Munguia. Cancel everything I said. I remembered incorrectly. He isn’t really a prospect. It actually looks like the Giants cut ties with him last year and he just came back as a FA NRI this year. Maybe he can make the club as a throw away filler.
I think he was a minor league free agent last offseason. I guess he would fit into the same category as Ricardo Genoves did last year.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Discussion on KNBR speculating on Snell's path to full strength starts. Krukow's opinion was the Giant's are in a little bit of a quandary given his ST absence. He believes his pitch count will start low and it'll take him 3-4 weeks to build up. Krukow doubted he could go deeper than 3-4 innings initially given Snell's high pitches / batter. Obviously this would stress the bully early on. If it wasn't Snell and his high profile he suggested the normal path back would be through Sacramento, can't see that happening.

How do you see Snell's games progressing early on? Pull him after 3-4 innings, then who'd be the long reliever?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luis Matos has been the best hitter in camp (6 2B, 4 HR, 11 RBI, 1.013), so he's made a very strong case to make the Opening Day roster, especially if an injury creates an opportunity. If so, there's a non-zero chance he just runs with the opportunity and sticks.

I do think there's a case to be made that Marco Luciano would benefit from more time in AAA. OTOH, Matos was on a tear before his call up in '23. It really wasn't an aggressive promotion. He forced the Giants' hand. It's possible there's just little for him left to gain in AAA.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Discussion on KNBR speculating on Snell's path to full strength starts. Krukow's opinion was the Giant's are in a little bit of a quandary given his ST absence. He believes his pitch count will start low and it'll take him 3-4 weeks to build up. Krukow doubted he could go deeper than 3-4 innings initially given Snell's high pitches / batter. Obviously this would stress the bully early on. If it wasn't Snell and his high profile he suggested the normal path back would be through Sacramento, can't see that happening.

How do you see Snell's games progressing early on? Pull him after 3-4 innings, then who'd be the long reliever?
Keaton Winn threw in one of today's split squad games and looked decent. The question is, will he make the team as a starter or reliever? I doubt he'll be able to throw more than a couple of innings right now so I guess he could be an opener. However, if both he and Snell are going to be short inning starters, that will really tax the bullpen early.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keaton Winn threw in one of today's split squad games and looked decent. The question is, will he make the team as a starter or reliever? I doubt he'll be able to throw more than a couple of innings right now so I guess he could be an opener. However, if both he and Snell are going to be short inning starters, that will really tax the bullpen early.
The other SP today got the crap knocked out of him...again. NINE ER in the first inning. I know it's ST, but damn ace -- can we see a good game before we go to SD?

Edit: not all on Webb. He left T1 down 0-4 and Kiest came in and gave up the other 5 runs. Webb went back in to pitch in the second and was fine the rest of the way. Still, I'd like to see some dominance from him.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other SP today got the crap knocked out of him...again. NINE ER in the first inning. I know it's ST, but damn ace -- can we see a good game before we go to SD?

Edit: not all on Webb. He left T1 down 0-4 and Kiest came in and gave up the other 5 runs. Webb went back in to pitch in the second and was fine the rest of the way. Still, I'd like to see some dominance from him.
Maybe he is saving it all for the regular season?