• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Rosterbation

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Los Angeles Angels have placed starter Lucas Giolito, relievers Matt Moore and Reynaldo López, and outfielders Hunter Renfroe and Randal Grichuk on waivers, sources tell ESPN. Huge potential playoff implications: All can be claimed by teams for free on Thursday.

I'd think we will put a claim in on Giolito. Depends upon if another team with a worse record claims him as well.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Los Angeles Angels have placed starter Lucas Giolito, relievers Matt Moore and Reynaldo López, and outfielders Hunter Renfroe and Randal Grichuk on waivers, sources tell ESPN. Huge potential playoff implications: All can be claimed by teams for free on Thursday.

I'd think we will put a claim in on Giolito. Depends upon if another team with a worse record claims him as well.
Wow.

This is going to cause shockwaves.

They gave up Quero for Lopez and Giolito. Quero is a top 100 prospect. That would be like us losing Whisenhunt.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what the rules are about signing waived players?

Meaning, can we offer MORE than their contract?
Are they free to sign with anyone?

I know they can appear in the playoffs.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We need bats far more, Renfroe or Grichuk

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they are claimed, the new team get the player AND contract. The whole thing.

If they clear waivers, they can only play for league minimum (the Angels still pay them, minus a pro-rated portion of league Min). Unlike the NBA and (I think) the NFL, no double dipping in MLB.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like Renfroe or Giolito, obviously. Lopez might be able to offer some depth, but I don’t see that as a big upgrade. Grichuk does not interest me.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spanks placed Bader on Waivers. I think I may be more interested in him than Renfroe.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be worse, could be the Angels. Ouch
They already had a reputation for not a good team to sign with (seems all their free agent acquisitions struggle with injuries). Now, they will also be known as the team that jettisons veterans in late August. Good luck to that franchise ever being relevant in the next 10 years (unless their farm system gets fixed).

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If any are claimed, the claiming team is on the hook for the remainder of the contract. If they are released after not being claimed, any signing team is only on the hook for the major league minimum. I expect all to go unclaimed and will be free to sign with whomever offers a deal. I don't think teams can offer more than what they are under contract already so I assume the teams that give them the best chance for playoff opportunities will be signing them.

Oh, and they have to be signed before September 1st to be eligible for the playoffs so these are going to be picked up quickly (most of them at least).