• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Patriots Draft Thread

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I wrote last week. It's amazing how quick the 'experts' can change their minds once the final four take the field.

If Washington can light up then scoreboard like they did against Texas against Michigan, they'll win the title and Penix will move up into the top three or four. If he has a game of 280+ and 3 or 4 TDs he will be discussed in the same breath as Williams and Maye who didn't make the big bowl parade.

Williams, Maye, Daniels, Penix and Nix

If the Patriots beat the Jets Sunday and drop from 3 to 6, Would you happy taking Daniels, Penix or Nix if one of them was the last of the 5 left on the table?? Or would you go for the best LT and pick up a JJ McCarthy or Michael Pratt - Tulane, or Better yet, Joe Milton 6'5" 235 TENN?
At this moment in time, I'm still taking the best T. Need to see what happens in FA and who is the GM pulling the strings.

Need to see what Zappe does this weekend. Last week was bad but not all those ints were on him. A solid line and a year under his belt and he could be a serviceable QB?

Oh and I don't want Wilson but possibly pick up another vet to mentor Zappe.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this moment in time, I'm still taking the best T. Need to see what happens in FA and who is the GM pulling the strings.

Need to see what Zappe does this weekend. Last week was bad but not all those ints were on him. A solid line and a year under his belt and he could be a serviceable QB?

I could live with Tannehill for a year or two while rebuilding the OL and WRs.

I'll bitch like hell with every loss and will hopefully be alive when the banner is unveiled in 2026.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see Zappe having what we need in a starting QB.
Having said that, 1st round is reserved for a QB.
Could we trade into a 2nd pick in the 1st to get a specific tackle?
There is enough indecision on tackles to have a couple hang around a bit?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I wrote last week. It's amazing how quick the 'experts' can change their minds once the final four take the field.

If Washington can light up then scoreboard like they did against Texas against Michigan, they'll win the title and Penix will move up into the top three or four. If he has a game of 280+ and 3 or 4 TDs he will be discussed in the same breath as Williams and Maye who didn't make the big bowl parade.

If the Patriots beat the Jets Sunday and drop from 3 to 6, Would you happy taking Daniels, Penix or Nix if one of them was the last of the 5 left on the table?? Or would you go for the best LT and pick up a JJ McCarthy or Michael Pratt - Tulane, or Better yet, Joe Milton 6'5" 235 TENN?
The issue is not taking Daniels or Penix. They may not be there round two, Nix may be. Oddly Nix has the most exp of all of them I think. But if William, Maye are there you take one of them over everthing else. Zappe tossed three INTs last week, he is not the answer.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Currently that has to be the biggest draft need.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Currently that has to be the biggest draft need.
Problem is that it's a waste if there isn't a solid OL to protect him. This is a passing league today and the QB has to be protected and also have decent targets to throw at.

Build the foundation first.

BTW, the reason that Trent Brown was in the Bills game was that he was a healthy scratch. Insubordination was the reason. He doesn't want to take the chance of getting another leg injury and wreck his potential free agent payday.

If BB is still here, consider him gone.

Owenu is the prize. Got to figure some way to convince him to come back. With his versatility, he's going to be sought after by multiple teams.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is that it's a waste if there isn't a solid OL to protect him. This is a passing league today and the QB has to be protected and also have decent targets to throw at.

BTW, the reason that Trent Brown was in the Bills game was that he was a healthy scratch. Insubordination was the reason. He doesn't want to take the chance of getting another leg injury and wreck his potential free agent payday.

Owenu is the prize. Got to figure some way to convince him to come back. With his versatility, he's going to be sought after by multiple teams.
And all the protection in the word does no good if the Qb can't read the D, tosses INTs, Over and underthrows etc. Without a decent QB it's tough sledding in this leaue.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And all the protection in the word does no good if the Qb can't read the D, tosses INTs, Over and underthrows etc. Without a decent QB it's tough sledding in this leaue.
If you need a QB, you have to take the opportunity when it presents itself.
Ke's plan is to improve the O-line 1st. Do that and you will be 14th pick or later and you'll never get a top QB.
You might improve the O-line in 2nd through 6th rounds, after you take your top QB!

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

5 QBs drafted in the first is a lot. If they want the tackle then take the tackle and it's likely one of the 5 is still there in the second. If not, accept the consequences that competing with 31 other teams for limited resources creates.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Need to see what Crappe does this weekend. Last week was bad but not all those ints were on him. A solid line and a year under his belt and he could be a serviceable QB?

Oh and I don't want Wilson but possibly pick up another vet to mentor Crappe.
FIFY (sorry for repeating this joke)

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pats Priorities IMO

QB
T
WR
CB
Edge

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pats Priorities IMO

QB
T
WR
CB
Edge
I can't disagree. I just don't want to draft a QB and get him beaten half to his death and completely destroy hisconfidence. Or worse, turn him into Mac Jones II.

In all honesty, I think that the Patriots could draft a LT, and get Nix in Round 2 or even Milton in Round 3 (Peyton Manning Protege since '15).

If they do take Maye, I think Puni might there at #35. I could certainly live with that too. Then they must find a WR. like Madonai Mitchel of Texas.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't disagree. I just don't want to draft a QB and get him beaten half to his death and completely destroy hisconfidence. Or worse, turn him into Mac Jones II.

In all honesty, I think that the Patriots could draft a LT, and get Nix in Round 2 or even Milton in Round 3 (Peyton Manning Protege since '15).

If they do take Maye, I think Puni might there at #35. I could certainly live with that too. Then they must find a WR. like Madonai Mitchel of Texas.
We can retain or pick up a T via FA then draft one in RD2. Point being is IMO if we feel there is a potential franchise QB in the draft we take him. My question is where is that line? Maye and Williams IMO will be considered franchise QBs after that they are likely franchise prospects. So if Williams and Maye are gone where we pick do we take best T and then QB like Nix or McCarthy in round2?

And if we beat the JESTs how far back does that drop us and do we now consider trading down

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if we beat the JESTs how far back does that drop us and do we now consider trading down
According to ESPN there are so many variables that they wouldn't get into it.
Everything depends on who wins and who loses. Chicago has #1 guaranteed.

Examples......

If WAS beats DAL and NEP loses to NYJ Patriots get #2 If they both lose, WAS and NEP stay at #2 and #3

If the Patriots win..................and Cardinals lose vs Seahawks, Chargers lose vs Chiefs, Titans lose vs Jaguars, Giants lose vs Eagles and Commanders lose vs Cowboys Patriots drop to #7.

I'll let you figure out the other 36 different possibilities because this looks like a perfect opportunity for this team to screw up the 2024 draft.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to ESPN there are so many variables that they wouldn't get into it.
Everything depends on who wins and who loses. Chicago has #1 guaranteed.

Examples......

If WAS beats DAL and NEP loses to NYJ Patriots get #2 If they both lose, WAS and NEP stay at #2 and #3

If the Patriots win..................and Cardinals lose vs Seahawks, Chargers lose vs Chiefs, Titans lose vs Jaguars, Giants lose vs Eagles and Commanders lose vs Cowboys Patriots drop to #7.

I'll let you figure out the other 36 different possibilities because this looks like a perfect opportunity for this team to screw up the 2024 draft.
But that's the same every year until the regular season ends changes in draft order can take place. I don't think anyone is arguing this. My point is or was, is that if there are only two "Franchise QB" or we think there are only two what do we do next? Take a tackle, trade down to get more picks then maybe grab a QB at 9 or 12. If the top two are not there or a QB that we covet is not there, how do the pats move?

Other variables that affect this.

1. Is BB there?
2. If BB is not there who is new GM?
3. Is BOB willing to adapt to todays game? Is Bob still there?
4. How do the Pats address the FA Market?

QB is the one position you almost have to take no exceptions if the guy you covet is there. You don't hesitate you pull the trigger and see what happens

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that's the same every year until the regular season ends changes in draft order can take place. I don't think anyone is arguing this. My point is or was, is that if there are only two "Franchise QB" or we think there are only two what do we do next? Take a tackle, trade down to get more picks then maybe grab a QB at 9 or 12. If the top two are not there or a QB that we covet is not there, how do the pats move?

Other variables that affect this.

1. Is BB there?

QB is the one position you almost have to take no exceptions if the guy you covet is there. You don't hesitate you pull the trigger and see what happens
To re-state:
If you have a job and want to keep it, you draft a QB in the 1st round.....

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Is BB there?
If BB stays................BOB will stay.

There are no FA LT or RT worth spending money. All are 33 or older except Donovan Smith (30) the starting LT of the Chiefs who has missed the past two games with a neck injury and has been ruled out of Monday's game with the Raiders. He's probably done for the year because he knows he's going to get a huge contract in March. Bill will not get into a bidding war for him.\

Bill will probably go after Tannehill or even Brissett and keep Zappe as the back up.

The BB will go after at least one FA WR. Tee Higgins will be the most sought and BB won't pay $25M for him.
Calvin Ridley(JAX), Gabriel DavisBUF) would be two worth fighting for.
Lower ranked but possibly targets for a bunch of teams would be Josh Reynolds(DET), Rashis Shaheed(NO), Tyler Boyd(CIN)
More to BB's style would be a couple of oldsters like Mike Evans and OBJ.

He'd probably be able to get a couple of cheap TEs.

Depending on his success in free agency, BB would look to trade down and try to pick up a bunch of extra 3rd and 4th round picks or maybe a 2nd.

IF Bill is gone.....................................

Look for the new GM to be Thomas Dimitroff, former Caserio ass't and former GM of the Atlanta Falcons.

He's not afraid to wheel and deal. He would go hard to get Lions OC Ben Johnson who the Commanders are already trying to let the world know that he's their next head coach. Johnson said publicly that he wants $15M a year to keep the low ballers away. Dimitroff would go to $20M and Kraft would pay. The entire Patriots staff would be brand new and young.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest I haven't really scouted the T position. I just know it's a need and NE can't afford to swing and miss on finding the right one. I don't think even Brady could've gotten NE to the playoffs with the current line.

I'd be willing to move down/back if the tackles are that close?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll add the QB pisition now requires one who can move in the pocket and scramble.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree but the best QBs in the league can't win if they don't have time. Give Zappe a wall and see what he can do. He doesn't even have a full year under his belt. O'brien hasn't helped IMO. Zappe sees ghosts because of the piss poor blocking and the poor offensive play calling.