• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 NFL draft - 1st round Packers should select what position?

2024 NFL draft - 1st round Packers should select what position?

• Cornerback

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Defensive line

• Trade down to 2nd round

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mock draft philosophy is to draft for "team need". The Packers philosophy is to compile a draft board and stick to it. If there happens to be a "tie in ratings", player position is a tie breaker. Therefore, I think they choose the best player on their board regardless of position (but the pick could be one of those positions).

Personally, I'm never gonna scoff at drafting defensive line in the first round - that's where the majority of the best DL players come from. The vast majority of Packers OL greats have come in later rounds so I don't think using a first on OL is necessary, but I wouldn't hate it at 25. I'd be cool with getting one of the highest rated DBs in the draft at 25.

I usually don't hate trading down, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the 2017 draft.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mock draft philosophy is to draft for "team need". The Packers philosophy is to compile a draft board and stick to it. If there happens to be a "tie in ratings", player position is a tie breaker. Therefore, I think they choose the best player on their board regardless of position (but the pick could be one of those positions).

Personally, I'm never gonna scoff at drafting defensive line in the first round - that's where the majority of the best DL players come from. The vast majority of Packers OL greats have come in later rounds so I don't think using a first on OL is necessary, but I wouldn't hate it at 25. I'd be cool with getting one of the highest rated DBs in the draft at 25.

I usually don't hate trading down, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the 2017 draft.

I assume (listening to Packers podcasts... I do not follow college football) the Packers first draft pick if stick at #25 or move up a few spots for someone will be one of the following:

OL - Fautanu, Latham, Mims, Barton, Guyton
DL - Murphy, Newton, D. Robinson
DB - DeJean, Wiggins, Kool-Aid

If Packers are really sold on R. Walker maybe they wait a bit longer to draft OL... but they lost Runyon and Nijman and I think they will want to address OL depth one of first 2 picks... could be wrong and they wait. Also think there will be at least 2 picks for OL.

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Voted OL but would be fine with DL. You guys already touched on the reasons so I will not repeat. Hard agree with RP that DL players have a tendency to work out better in early rounds.

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also this doesn’t have much bearing on the matter since needs change but historically the Pack have gone OL, DL, or other D player in the first round for pretty much the last 20 years with the exception of Love and Rodgers of course

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And OL it was in 1st round with Jordan Morgan. Picked slightly ahead of "consensus board".

Listened to Gutey talk about the pick... think he was their "last" OL target still on their board for 1st round and appears Packers really wanted OL for 1st pick and someone that could play tackle. Had several calls to move back... but really wanted Morgan it sounds like and worried he may not be there.

Gutey also called him "Packers player" (attitude, versatile, athletic, smart...)

On to Day 2... hope they keep all 4 picks. I would now expect DB and LB picks for Day 2 and maybe another OL.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And OL it was in 1st round with Jordan Morgan. Picked slightly ahead of "consensus board".

Listened to Gutey talk about the pick... think he was their "last" OL target still on their board for 1st round and appears Packers really wanted OL for 1st pick and someone that could play tackle. Had several calls to move back... but really wanted Morgan it sounds like and worried he may not be there.

Gutey also called him "Packers player" (attitude, versatile, athletic, smart...)

On to Day 2... hope they keep all 4 picks. I would now expect DB and LB picks for Day 2 and maybe another OL.
When I saw Morgan was a versatile OL who could play inside or outside, I thought "yeah, that sounds like a Packers OL. Makes sense why they valued him a little higher than 'consensus'". Got no problem with the pick. Time will tell if it was the right one, but I support the concept & intent.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When I saw Morgan was a versatile OL who could play inside or outside, I thought "yeah, that sounds like a Packers OL. Makes sense why they valued him a little higher than 'consensus'". Got no problem with the pick. Time will tell if it was the right one, but I support the concept & intent.

It's totally a Packers type of pick. Somebody that most don't have on their radar, especially the draftniks, but their kind of player.

I don't know enough about prospects, scouting or anything else to get emotional about the picks they make, heck over half of the guys they pick every year I've never heard of. Yet year after year they get guys that contribute from all over the draft and I can't ask for much more.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet year after year they get guys that contribute from all over the draft and I can't ask for much more.

Last 2 years I think they have had great drafts, liked 2019 draft... other than that some average drafts under Gutey for me. Love if is next franchise QB will save that 2020 draft and make it a good one.

If they could have 3rd good draft, this team will be set to compete for 2-3 years IMO.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1714224004106.png

Do not watch much college ball... but listen to some podcasts and check out some draftniks info to get to learn some of names out there.

Based on that really liked Packers day 2 of the draft with Cooper, Bullard and Lloyd picks... all 3 will compete for playing time early on I would expect. Also addressed some areas Packers needed some help.

Was expecting another OL pick.. but most likely coming in 4th-5th round now.

Also liked that Packers moved down and picked up an extra 5th and 6th rounder... if Packers can pick up some players like they have in past couple of years in those rounds this could be another very good draft.

Here is hoping for solid Day 3 for Packers in the draft :suds: