• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 MLB Amateur Draft

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft is tomorrow night (Sunday 7/9). I have not been following it at all this year, so I have no clue ho is expected to go at the top. This is viewed as a strong college class due to lack of HS players taken in the ‘20 draft. I estimate the first 5 rounds or so should produce decent prospects out the gate.

This is a nice situation, seeing how the Giants scored with such a strong draft class in ‘20 already.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HS Futures game... i guess that is what it is... is on one of the espns right now...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a reminder of the Giants 2020 class…

1) Bailey
2) Schmitt
2) Swiney
2) Glowenke
3) Harrison
4) Dabovich
5) Walker

3 of the 7 picks are currently in the Bigs with 1 almost guaranteed to get his cuppo this year (Harrison).

Dabovich experienced serious helium last season, but appears to be hurt this year (??). Swiney started in Richmond and got a quick bump to Sacto. He isn’t pitching great, but he is 3.5 years young for the level, so he could get his cuppo as soon as next year. Glowenke started in Eugene but got an early boost to Richmond where he has struggled. AA is his age-appropriate level, so he needs to figure it out, soonish.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dabovich had hip surgery earlier this season, though there is a chance he could be back on the field by September. Unfortunately, essentially a lost season for him.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a reminder of the Giants 2020 class…

1) Bailey
2) Schmitt
2) Swiney
2) Glowenke
3) Harrison
4) Dabovich
5) Walker

3 of the 7 picks are currently in the Bigs with 1 almost guaranteed to get his cuppo this year (Harrison).

Dabovich experienced serious helium last season, but appears to be hurt this year (??). Swiney started in Richmond and got a quick bump to Sacto. He isn’t pitching great, but he is 3.5 years young for the level, so he could get his cuppo as soon as next year. Glowenke started in Eugene but got an early boost to Richmond where he has struggled. AA is his age-appropriate level, so he needs to figure it out, soonish.
From the AAA roster, Dabovich is listed as out for the rest of the year. Too bad. No idea what his injury is.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft is tomorrow night (Sunday 7/9). I have not been following it at all this year, so I have no clue ho is expected to go at the top. This is viewed as a strong college class due to lack of HS players taken in the ‘20 draft. I estimate the first 5 rounds or so should produce decent prospects out the gate.

This is a nice situation, seeing how the Giants scored with such a strong draft class in ‘20 already.
I am clueless on amateur prospects as well. Too bad sfgrtb is gone. He was pretty good at this area.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am clueless on amateur prospects as well. Too bad sfgrtb is gone. He was pretty good at this area.
His exit was abrupt with no leading clues. I legit fear the worst for his exit…

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His exit was abrupt with no leading clues. I legit fear the worst for his exit…
I've long been concerned about his sudden exit. I think one of his last posts was about his excitement for the season. He disappeared that same month. Although I do think he lurked for a couple of weeks between his last post and his last activity date.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting...I read he was day to day...

Towards the end of the article:
"However, Harrison suffered a right hamstring strain earlier this week, and Slusser estimates that he could miss roughly 3-6 weeks."

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Towards the end of the article:
"However, Harrison suffered a right hamstring strain earlier this week, and Slusser estimates that he could miss roughly 3-6 weeks."
Yeah, I've read more recent reports that indicate he's going to be out a month or so. On the bright side, similar sources are reporting that Tyro might be back much sooner than expected.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At #16, the Giants picked Bryce Eldridge, 1B/RHP, Madison High School (VA)
My first take…

I HATE two-way players. But it is too early to be irritated with this pick since we have no idea what the org wants to do with him, or what he wants to do with his career.

As a pitcher, he is a hard throwing 6’7” with 2 pitches already (FB, slider), and a developing change. For a HS kid, that is promising. As a hitter, I am not a huge fan of really tall players, but as a 1B, that could be very helpful. No idea what his strengths as a hitter are, though. My ignorant guess is that they will try to develop him as a pitcher.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first take…

I HATE two-way players. But it is too early to be irritated with this pick since we have no idea what the org wants to do with him, or what he wants to do with his career.

As a pitcher, he is a hard throwing 6’7” with 2 pitches already (FB, slider), and a developing change. For a HS kid, that is promising. As a hitter, I am not a huge fan of really tall players, but as a 1B, that could be very helpful. No idea what his strengths as a hitter are, though. My ignorant guess is that they will try to develop him as a pitcher.
I think you are probably correct, but it will be interesting to see if they let him do what Crawford does...pitch once a week.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first take…

Just keep in mind that it is not unusual for amateur players listed as two way players but often get moved to one or the other for their professional careers. While becoming more popular, guys like Reggie Crawford are still rare. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes common with the Giants, picking two way players high in the draft. Because, why not experiment with your top picks?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#52 Martin...HS SS

Two HS players in a row.
I guess the org feels that HS players are the best players at both picks, feel good about the strength of the org (and nearness of top prospects), feel college picks are too conservative or some or all of the above.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the org feels that HS players are the best players at both picks, feel good about the strength of the org (and nearness of top prospects), feel college picks are too conservative or some or all of the above.
The org is deep with high-level proximity prospects. Concentrating on high ceiling HS players is not a bad strategy.