• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023-24 Flyers: What's new is old again.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couts is under the Flyers contract not the other way around. If he wants out it doesn't matter we dont have to trade him he can just play 4th line minutes for the next 5 years until his contract is up. If you want to get traded dont you and your agent whine to the media just request a trade quietly and wait for it to happen.

We hold all the cards here. I hope Torts keeps being Torts! If you need to bench Couts again i hope it gets done in the very same way and if he doesn't like it to bad we own that contract for 5 more years.

Excellent asset management plan. Inherit talent, play them 4th line minutes, bench them, tell them to suck it we hold all the cards. I bet talented players will be banging down the door to play for us! We'll be contenders in no time.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent asset management plan. Inherit talent, play them 4th line minutes, bench them, tell them to suck it we hold all the cards. I bet talented players will be banging down the door to play for us! We'll be contenders in no time. Teams comprised solely of Seelers/Hathaways win all the time.
If you deserve to play better than 4th line minutes then play like you want to move up in the line up and there wont be any 4th line minutes to be had.

Don't be so dramatic. Torts has coached in many places before and has coached all the same way though many organizations and never has any of those teams have had any problems signing and or trading for players since then. We'll be fine during crybaby Couts and wimpy agents antics.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you deserve to play better than 4th line minutes then play like you want to move up in the line up and there wont be any 4th line minutes to be had.

Don't be so dramatic. Torts has coached in many places before and has coached all the same way though many organizations and never has any of those teams have had any problems signing and or trading for players since then. We'll be fine during crybaby Couts and wimpy agents antics.

Ya, his history of attracting UFA's is a real whos who of talented players..

Columbus' big name signing during his tenure was Gustav Nyquist:
Columbus Blue Jackets Contract Signings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The Rangers 'big name signing's during his tenure were two of the worst overpays in history (Richards/Redden). Gaborik was decent, but, uhh.. (Rangers Retrospective: Marian Gaborik and John Tortorella):
New York Rangers Contract Signings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Tampa re-signed Dan Boyle, but basically nobody else. Though we're getting to the end of CapFriendly's usefullness and the CBA as currently constructed:
Tampa Bay Lightning Contract Signings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Last edited:

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So just to put the Coots drama to rest, now the so called hockey media is starting stories that Hart is going to sign a contract in Russia next season, second rumor is he is going to sign a contract for another team, third rumor is he was found guilty of sexual assault and can no longer play in the NHL. The media is totally the enemy of the people and unfortunately should never be trusted anymore. Not sure how these companies stay in business without getting some sort of defamation charges? I guess now days you can get any shit article posted.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So just to put the Coots drama to rest, now the so called hockey media is starting stories that Hart is going to sign a contract in Russia next season, second rumor is he is going to sign a contract for another team, third rumor is he was found guilty of sexual assault and can no longer play in the NHL. The media is totally the enemy of the people and unfortunately should never be trusted anymore. Not sure how these companies stay in business without getting some sort of defamation charges? I guess now days you can get any shit article posted.

Heh, definitely have to pick your sources wisely. I don't see any of the big guys talking about a conclusion to that case in Canada yet. And they definitely would be (actually the trial is April 30th with a quick google). So that takes out the 3rd rumor. His NHL rights are owned by the Flyers, he's an RFA this summer. They hold his rights until June 25th(ish) if they do nothing. If they submit a qualifying offer prior to then, they retain his rights. Either way, nobody can sign him to a deal until after June 25 at the earliest. So that takes out the 2nd rumor, at least until then.

1st rumor is the closest to making sense. If the Flyers don't qualify him by 7/25 and then no other team offers him a contract this summer, then him signing to play overseas makes sense. I'm skeptical he'd pick Russia given everything that's going on. They'd probably offer the most money. But during the lockouts, non-Russian NHL-ers seemed to pick leagues Switzerland, Germany, and Sweden. But if he is found guilty in that trial there's a chance he does time and can't play in any league.

Any way it works out, I suspect he's done as a Flyer. I guess there's a chance he's found innocent or the alleged victim recants her story. Seems unlikely given we're 6 years on from the incident. But barring that, I think the Flyers just move on from him. Even with some kind of plea deal or settlement, I would imagine they'll let his rights expire and just walk away from the situation. Let some other team do the public image reclamation work.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, his history of attracting UFA's is a real whos who of talented players..

Columbus' big name signing during his tenure was Gustav Nyquist:
Columbus Blue Jackets Contract Signings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The Rangers 'big name signing's during his tenure were two of the worst overpays in history (Richards/Redden). Gaborik was decent, but, uhh.. (Rangers Retrospective: Marian Gaborik and John Tortorella):
New York Rangers Contract Signings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Tampa re-signed Dan Boyle, but basically nobody else. Though we're getting to the end of CapFriendly's usefullness and the CBA as currently constructed:
Tampa Bay Lightning Contract Signings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
John Torterella:

12 Times been to the playoffs
732 WINS
TWO time Jack Adams award for COACH OF THE YEAR!
STANLEY CUP CHAMPION.

Just because he didn't sign any doesn't mean they didn't want to come over. :pound::pound:

I guess he doesn't need any high priced free agent signings to make a team work just saying. :nod:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its funny how nothing has been coming out as far as that case going to trial or anything to move forward.

I would have to think we are done with him unless he gets completely exonerated.

Chy is a lawyer he will have the best insight on this board about this case.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Torterella:

12 Times been to the playoffs
732 WINS
TWO time Jack Adams award for COACH OF THE YEAR!
STANLEY CUP CHAMPION.

Just because he didn't sign any doesn't mean they didn't want to come over. :pound::pound:

I guess he doesn't need any high priced free agent signings to make a team work just saying. :nod:

Cup and his first Jack Adams were 20 years ago. People would laugh if I put my middle school accomplishments on my resume...

And his second Jack Adams was for taking a CBJ team that everyone expected to suck to the playoffs. Where they lost in the 1st round. And then they kept losing in the 1st round because they didn't have the talent to actually compete. Awfully familiar and something we're trying to avoid, right? I guess it depends on your definition of 'work'. Being on the playoff bubble and flaming out in the 1st round was completely unacceptable the last 10 years, but now that Torts is a hard ass, that's considered working?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cup and his first Jack Adams were 20 years ago. People would laugh if I put my middle school accomplishments on my resume...

And his second Jack Adams was for taking a CBJ team that everyone expected to suck to the playoffs. Where they lost in the 1st round. And then they kept losing in the 1st round because they didn't have the talent to actually compete. Awfully familiar and something we're trying to avoid, right? I guess it depends on your definition of 'work'. Being on the playoff bubble and flaming out in the 1st round was completely unacceptable the last 10 years, but now that Torts is a hard ass, that's considered working?
If you dont know the difference between making the first round of the playoffs this year and losing (which is one of your famous hypotheticals and not fact) and not being acceptable the last 10 years ago i cant help you there.

Comparing middle school accomplishment to the NHL coach of the year award and a NHL Stanley cup is just a sad sad sad comparison to a professional accomplishment.

Guess we should take away our cups in 74 and 75 because they were a long time ago. :L

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think they would take a Hart for Fedotov trade. Win/win.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was it not just over a year ago that we were all wondering why Briere was taking one too many goalies? Fast forward until to day and now we need more goalies.

BTW, I hope we come to play this afternoon and kick the shit out of the Rags. I HATE the Rags about as much or more than those douchebags across the State of Pennsylvania!!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you dont know the difference between making the first round of the playoffs this year and losing (which is one of your famous hypotheticals and not fact) and not being acceptable the last 10 years ago i cant help you there.

Comparing middle school accomplishment to the NHL coach of the year award and a NHL Stanley cup is just a sad sad sad comparison to a professional accomplishment.

Guess we should take away our cups in 74 and 75 because they were a long time ago. :L

I want the Flyers to contend for a cup. Hopefully instilling this culture that they're so focused on helps because finishing on the playoff bubble certainly doesn't help acquire top end talent. Torts' past 20 years indicate he's good at getting a lot out of a mediocre roster, and then flaming out in the playoffs. Again. And again. And again. They fall short because they lack talent. And in addition to never getting high end draft picks as a result, Torts' persona, and treatment of high end players, contributes to not being able to sign them in free agency.

We'll see if the 4th time is the charm for him. But he's my biggest concern with the rebuild Jones/Briere are trying to pull off.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want the Flyers to contend for a cup. Hopefully instilling this culture that they're so focused on helps because finishing on the playoff bubble certainly doesn't help acquire top end talent. Torts' past 20 years indicate he's good at getting a lot out of a mediocre roster, and then flaming out in the playoffs. Again. And again. And again. They fall short because they lack talent. And in addition to never getting high end draft picks as a result, Torts' persona, and treatment of high end players, contributes to not being able to sign them in free agency.

We'll see if the 4th time is the charm for him. But he's my biggest concern with the rebuild Jones/Briere are trying to pull off.
Another rumor that seems more plausible is that Torts wanted a front office job in Columbus as head of player development, they said no. Rumor is he wants to do the same here, I could be on board with that.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My biggest concern is that we aren't ever going to be able to do that Jones/Brierre rebuild while paying 8 million dollars per year to a player who at best is a 3/4th line center at this point in his career. He either has to get much better as a player or we are screwed as far as a rebuild and our center position depth until Michov comes over in 3 more years.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was it not just over a year ago that we were all wondering why Briere was taking one too many goalies? Fast forward until to day and now we need more goalies.

BTW, I hope we come to play this afternoon and kick the shit out of the Rags. I HATE the Rags about as much or more than those douchebags across the State of Pennsylvania!!
Last year we weren't wondering why he took so many goalies. We were wondering why he used such high draft picks on goalies which were a 2nd and 3rd round picks i believe when we needed centers.

We outplayed the Rags twice already but this was when we had a full defensive squad. Hopefully we kick their ass in a blowout tonight. I cant stand them. I hate them worse than the Pens by far and away!!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another rumor that seems more plausible is that Torts wanted a front office job in Columbus as head of player development, they said no. Rumor is he wants to do the same here, I could be on board with that.

Depends a lot on the role tbh. His history with guys like Gaborik, Jenner, Laine, Dubinsky, Hayes, Dubois, etc are pretty concerning. Sure he can squeeze every drop out of Nick Seeler types, but if the tradeoff is he pisses off the top end of your lineup, did you really make progress? I'd argue running top of the lineup guys off is far more damaging than getting Nick Seeler to go from a #7 to a #4 is rewarding.

I don't give a flying fuck if Michkov doesn't register a single hit or block a single shot in his entire NHL career. His job is to put up 100+ points. Period, end of story. If Torts benches him or reams him out in interviews to the point where Michkov asks for a trade, the Flyers are the ones that suffer.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Torts has a better chance here because he Briere are on the same page and they both like working with the other. It is just a matter of time.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest concern is that we aren't ever going to be able to do that Jones/Brierre rebuild while paying 8 million dollars per year to a player who at best is a 3/4th line center at this point in his career. He either has to get much better as a player or we are screwed as far as a rebuild and our center position depth until Michov comes over in 3 more years.
Somehow we got to start by getting rid of that douchebag Risto and his destructive contract!

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends a lot on the role tbh. His history with guys like Gaborik, Jenner, Laine, Dubinsky, Hayes, Dubois, etc are pretty concerning. Sure he can squeeze every drop out of Nick Seeler types, but if the tradeoff is he pisses off the top end of your lineup, did you really make progress? I'd argue running top of the lineup guys off is far more damaging than getting Nick Seeler to go from a #7 to a #4 is rewarding.

I don't give a flying fuck if Michkov doesn't register a single hit or block a single shot in his entire NHL career. His job is to put up 100+ points. Period, end of story. If Torts benches him or reams him out in interviews to the point where Michkov asks for a trade, the Flyers are the ones that suffer.
I totally get your point,
However I remember being one of the few on here who wasn't thrilled with the Torts hiring to begin with. I realized he was a build character type of guy and thought he would damage some of the young kids, but to be honest, they're doing the opposite. They are growing into solid players. I for one am not buying into the rumor that Coots wasn't talked to by Torts or other management or both, just doesn't fit their MO's IMO. The media is a circus and like you said, chose your sources wisely.

My hope is by the time all these young kids come together, plus whatever picks we can get in the next few years are solid or we hit a jackpot or two, Torts would be willing to step up a role and hopefully the next coach is solid and maybe a little more of an X's and 0's guy.