• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 NBA Offseason thread

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$10 million fine and 5 first round picks. Can’t have rules if you don’t enforce them.

This is ridiculous. So you think that if a team gets caught talking to an agent a few days before free agency because, that is tantamount to being the worst thing a NBA franchise could possibly do?

Do you think we should also ban players from talking to other players, since that is how most of these trades really happen anyway?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless, I'm confused about the investigation into Harden's new contract. I sort of get what the allegation is. I completely don't get why it is against the rules.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds equivalent to the death penalty for shop lifting.

Never mind that tampering is very hard to prove, which will always lead to inconsistent enforcement. A harsh penalty would insure horribly unfair and erratic results.

Disagree.

We’ve already seen it with Joe smith

This would be silver correcting his prior mistake

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless, I'm confused about the investigation into Harden's new contract. I sort of get what the allegation is. I completely don't get why it is against the rules.

I’m unsure about the harden part, beyond how it’s basically tangentially part of the tampering scheme

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is ridiculous. So you think that if a team gets caught talking to an agent a few days before free agency because, that is tantamount to being the worst thing a NBA franchise could possibly do?

Do you think we should also ban players from talking to other players, since that is how most of these trades really happen anyway?

I don’t see these as all that much different than the Joe smith fiasco.

At least that a long time for any real payoff

This gives immediate gratification

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The claim is that they have a hand shake deal for a big extension next off season. It would be illegal to have something like that in place to manipulate the cap. That’s going to be something very difficult to prove unless Harden/Morey/Josh Harris were dumb enough to put that shit in a text or an email. There was a meeting in the Hamptons a few weeks ago. If they do have this hand shake agreement, that is probably where this rumored deal was ironed out.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He also has no issue with blatant tanking either. Which is funny

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The claim is that they have a hand shake deal for a big extension next off season. It would be illegal to have something like that in place to manipulate the cap. That’s going to be something very difficult to prove unless Harden/Morey/Josh Harris were dumb enough to put that shit in a text or an email. There was a meeting in the Hamptons a few weeks ago. If they do have this hand shake agreement, that is probably where this rumored deal was ironed out.

Meh. To me that seems pretty ridiculous though. Harden agreed to a contract that helps the Sixers be better this year. Even if there is a handshake agreement to take care of Harden next year, so what?

The Joe Smith situation was different because the Wolves were actively trying to subvert the salary cap rules. This is a situation where the player is giving up 15 million dollars this year that he won't get back.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also has no issue with blatant tanking either. Which is funny

I think he is under the illusion that if there were no tampering than small market teams like the Thunder would have a better chance at getting free agents. That, of course, is absurd.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. To me that seems pretty ridiculous though. Harden agreed to a contract that helps the Sixers be better this year. Even if there is a handshake agreement to take care of Harden next year, so what?

The Joe Smith situation was different because the Wolves were actively trying to subvert the salary cap rules. This is a situation where the player is giving up 15 million dollars this year that he won't get back.
I don’t disagree. I was just throwing out there why it’s being looked at. Playing Devil’s advocate, the plan could be to get him the 15 mil he gave up back to him in the long run.

Long story short, even if they’re guilty, the precedent has been set that the penalty is a 2nd rounder. In the grand scheme of things when you look at it this way, you spent a 2nd round pick and money to acquire PJ Tucker, Danuel House Jr, and Trevellian Queen. You’d do that deal in a heartbeat.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is under the illusion that if there were no tampering than small market teams like the Thunder would have a better chance at getting free agents. That, of course, is absurd.
Yep. Having to play for the Huckelfuck Sonics is like NBA Siberia.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All these teams getting docked a *gasp* second round pick for tampering. Who here remembers the wolves losing multiple first rounders for essentially the same thing?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All these teams getting docked a *gasp* second round pick for tampering. Who here remembers the wolves losing multiple first rounders for essentially the same thing?

That’s my point

This is really not that different

Drop the hammer and stop this nonsense

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Smith situation blew up because his agency firm fell apart and the two major players in the firm parted ways in an ugly fashion. The loser in the shake out of agents decided to do some scorched earth and he presented the whole scenario with records and evidence that the Wolves weren’t just trying to finagle the cap in one year…the plan was to manipulate it for 3 years. And the key was someone who could provide evidence of all of it.

My favorite part of all of this shows what a cluster fuck organization the Wolves are. They took this colossal risk for Joe Fucking Smith. A 10 PPG career player.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s my point

Yes it is unless you’re some simpleton that doesn’t understand the impact that evidence can have on an investigation.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s my point

If anyone deserves punishment it's the Knicks. Now that I agree with.

A player taking a pay cut to help the team is not a problem imo.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Smith situation blew up because his agency firm fell apart and the two major players in the firm parted ways in an ugly fashion. The loser in the shake out of agents decided to do some scorched earth and he presented the whole scenario with records and evidence that the Wolves weren’t just trying to finagle the cap in one year…the plan was to manipulate it for 3 years. And the key was someone who could provide evidence of all of it.

My favorite part of all of this shows what a cluster fuck organization the Wolves are. They took this colossal risk for Joe Fucking Smith. A 10 PPG career player.
Restructuring contracts to "finagle" cap space room is done all the time. The fact that they did it when they weren't allowed to do it yet, just like the others who only received 2nd round draft losses, doesn't change from the fact that the wolves were literally destroyed for the foreseeable future because of this while others are just getting slaps on the wrist.