• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 MLB Draft July 17-19 - An Extensive Look At Top Draft Prospects

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The contract he turned down supposedly had yearly raises in it up to the $40M point... :noidea:
My understanding is that it started in the $28 million range and he didn't like what he perceived as deferred money. Or rather, Boras saw it that way.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bats: L

Class: HS SR

Height: 6' 4"

Pick Value: --

Throws: R

DOB: 04/24/04

Weight: 193

Birthplace: USA

Zack Cozart and Drew Pomeranz became early-round picks after going from Collierville (Tenn.) HS to Mississippi, and Saunier may be headed on the same path. The top high school prospect in Tennessee, he got a late start on the mound this season because of a lat injury and eased back into action on tight pitch counts in April. Scouts love his projectability and polish, though he may not have enough present stuff to pay him enough to lure him away from the Rebels. Saunier operates at 88-90 mph and maxes out at 94 with armside run on his fastball, which should gain more velocity as he fills out his athletic 6-foot-4 frame. He shows aptitude for spinning the ball, with both his upper-70s slider and mid-70s curveball grading as solid and showing the potential to perhaps become plus offerings with more power. He has a lot of confidence in a fading upper-70s changeup as well. Saunier has a loose arm, works without effort and repeats his delivery well. Once he gets stronger, he could have four solid pitches with control to match. If he doesn't show an increase in velocity this spring, he'll likely wind up in college.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they take another guy in the last round who was projected much higher.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding is that it started in the $28 million range and he didn't like what he perceived as deferred money. Or rather, Boras saw it that way.

it's all about the AAV from my understanding. It would have been the biggest overall money ever, but the AAV was only 20th best. Therefore, it's an insult to him (from what people are saying).

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets just say for grins they pick up Joey for a bag of used pucks how would you handle his return???

I would get him to consent to an MiLB option and make him work with the hitting coaches/team psychiatrist for a few weeks to help him get his head screwed back on straight. Since the minors teams have way more pitchers it shouldn't be too hard to get one to live pitch to him every day to try out what he's being taught. And I would make him the DH in games so he wouldn't be distracted by having to play the field. If he's doing much better then call him up in Sept if not the I would have to make a judgement call about trying to resign him or cut him loose...
The problem is he will not listen to the hitting coaches. That’s why nothing has changed with him. I don’t want him anywhere near the Rangers.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grayson Saunier performed well on the showcase circuit last summer and had high expectations for himself this spring. But his senior season didn’t start as he envisioned. The Collierville (Tenn.) High school right-handed pitcher missed about two months this spring due to a lat strain.

The delayed start to the season was difficult for Saunier, who is one of the top prep pitchers in the 2022 class. He returned to game action in April. Now as his season winds down, Saunier is healthy, pitching well, and displaying his exciting skillset for professional scouts.

Scouts are intrigued by Saunier’s ability and projectability. They rank Saunier as a potential early-round pick in July’s MLB draft. Despite the attention, Saunier is focused on leading his high school team to a state title.

“It has been difficult to balance everything,” Saunier said. “But I have tried to keep a level head and focus on the present and not look far into the future. I have enjoyed the moment and my senior year.”

Saunier is a 6-foot-4, 190-pound right-handed pitcher that throws a four-seam fastball, circle changeup, curveball, and slider from a three-quarters arm slot and loose and repeatable delivery.

All four of his pitches are quality offerings. He leans on his fastball, which features arm-side run. His fastball velocity has trended upwards over the last year, currently sitting 91-93 mph. Scouts believe the pitch’s speed will increase as he matures physically due to his size and clean mechanics.

He mixes in all of his secondary pitches well. His slider is his put-away pitch. It is a hard slider, with some talent evaluators calling it a cutter, and features late-breaking action.

Saunier’s spike curveball and changeup also feature potential. He has confidence in his changeup, and it has notable fading action, making it difficult for hitters to square up.

Saunier isn’t the hardest throwing pitcher, but he has success mixing in his secondary pitches and throwing strikes at a high percentage. His pitchability is one of his biggest strengths.

“A lot of guys throw hard but don’t really know how to pitch,” Saunier said. “But I know how to pitch. I’m good at figuring out hitters. My ability to command four pitches is a strength of mine.”

Saunier has the size, mechanics, and pitches to thrive as a starting pitcher in pro ball. He is a polished pitcher for his age and has the solid foundation scouts seek when scouting prospects and projecting their futures.

But it isn’t a guarantee Saunier will jump straight into the pro ranks out of high school. Besides his status as a draft prospect, he also is a University of Mississippi commit.

In recent years, Ole Miss has developed a plethora of players for the pro ranks. Last year, right-hander Gunnar Hoglund and lefty Doug Nikhazy went in the first and second round, respectively.

“Ole Miss has a really good track record of producing pitchers for the draft,” Saunier said. “At the end of the day, my dream is to play professional baseball. I wanted to pick a school that would give me a really good chance, if not the best chance, to get drafted after college. Ole Miss was the place.”

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The contract he turned down supposedly had yearly raises in it up to the $40M point... :noidea:
Huge difference with that much for a one or two year contract and over 10 Years

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are the five picks that I am the most excited about. The Rangers should get a very good grade for this draft.

Rocker
Porter
Specht
Ramirez
Saunier

Reactions: DTC

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread and all the research may be a good reference later Thanks all and @saddles

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you guys rank our pitching prospects now? Here they are in alphabetical order. How would you arrange them?

Leiter
Porter
Rocker
White
Winn

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is he will not listen to the hitting coaches. That’s why nothing has changed with him. I don’t want him anywhere near the Rangers.
He's had so many hitting coaches it isn't funny so I take that with a grain of salt. 2019 he was doing pretty good before he got hurt and 2021 before he was traded, and that was with nobody worth a schitt behind him in the lineup...

I'm guessing the Yanks want him to take advantage of the softball distance short porch in right. And pitchers aren't giving him anything to hit there because he isn't allowed or won't go the opposite way to burn the shift. So the Yanks have basically undone what was making him successful in 2019/21... :tsk: :gaah:

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you guys rank our pitching prospects now? Here they are in alphabetical order. How would you arrange them?

Leiter
Porter
Rocker
White
Winn
Well we have to sign them first. But I would go

Leiter
White
Rocker
Porter
Winn
Ragans
Roby
Vanasco -closer?

Have a few more as well

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we have to sign them first. But I would go

Leiter
White
Rocker
Porter
Winn
Ragans
Roby
Vanasco -closer?

Have a few more as well
Porter is the wildcard to me. If the other guys meet their projections, Porter could still end up being anywhere from 1 to 5. He may be our best pitching prospect. I wouldn't put him there yet, but it might not take long to move him there.