• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Rosterbation

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is that? I thought spending time on the 60-day DL 'technically' counted
I think it only partially counts. He needs to serve at least X days on the ACTIVE roster to clear the Rule V clause. I THINK it is 30 days.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is that? I thought spending time on the 60-day DL 'technically' counted

I think it only partially counts. He needs to serve at least X days on the ACTIVE roster to clear the Rule V clause. I THINK it is 30 days.

From Cot's:
If, because of injury, a player selected in the Rule 5 draft spends less than 90 days on the active Major League roster, he also must remain on the Major League roster the next season until he earns 90 days of service. Otherwise, he must be put on waivers and offered back to his original club.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Cot's:
If, because of injury, a player selected in the Rule 5 draft spends less than 90 days on the active Major League roster, he also must remain on the Major League roster the next season until he earns 90 days of service. Otherwise, he must be put on waivers and offered back to his original club.

That sucks.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is really nothing of substance here. "Maybe we will, and maybe we won't" seems to be the answer. To be fair, it would be difficult to get direct answers because the FO is so uncertain in its own direction, other than filling seats. They need some leadership, and what they have are managers.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a handy list of projected free agents for this offseason - 2018-19 MLB Free Agents

That outfield list is a fairly mediocre group.

Pretty uninspiring group.

Of the non-top tier guys, I like Michael Brantley a lot as a player, but maybe not in AT&T. I also like Lonnie Chisenhall, but he can never stay healthy.

I'm staying the hell away from A.J. Pollock.

I'm still saying they should go for Machado and find a way to trade Longoria.... or have him play at 2nd base, which has never happened, and trade Panik.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty uninspiring group.

Of the non-top tier guys, I like Michael Brantley a lot as a player, but maybe not in AT&T. I also like Lonnie Chisenhall, but he can never stay healthy.

I'm staying the hell away from A.J. Pollock.

I'm still saying they should go for Machado and find a way to trade Longoria.... or have him play at 2nd base, which has never happened, and trade Panik.
I've been leaning toward Machado over Harper (if the Giants are serious about spending on a big name) but looking at their numbers, I'm not so sure about that now. Harper's baseline season (2014, when he was 21) has an OPS of .768. He hasn't posted any other season under .800 (.814 being the 2nd lowest). Machado, however, has a baseline OPS of .739 (2012, when he was 19) and has had 3 other seasons under .800. I know that is a bit quibbling, both are studs, but if the money is going to be similar, I may want Harper over Machado. I'm sure both lean toward prima donnas, but Machado would create much more havoc on the current roster considering he really wants to play shortstop. I really doubt he's going to concede to a team in free agency over where he plays, unless that team throws a lot more money at him than others and they have a good shot at contending for years to come.

Thinking about it, how real are the Giants' chances at landing any of the big names on the market? The big three - Harper, Machado, and Kershaw - don't have any rings. All have been to the playoffs and, I'm sure, will want to play for a contender. Yes, money talks, but with so many teams seeming to be angling toward spending this offseason, I think the Giants are a long shot to land any of them. I would guess the money is going to Bumgarner and a few mediocre free agents.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been leaning toward Machado over Harper (if the Giants are serious about spending on a big name) but looking at their numbers, I'm not so sure about that now. Harper's baseline season (2014, when he was 21) has an OPS of .768. He hasn't posted any other season under .800 (.814 being the 2nd lowest). Machado, however, has a baseline OPS of .739 (2012, when he was 19) and has had 3 other seasons under .800. I know that is a bit quibbling, both are studs, but if the money is going to be similar, I may want Harper over Machado. I'm sure both lean toward prima donnas, but Machado would create much more havoc on the current roster considering he really wants to play shortstop. I really doubt he's going to concede to a team in free agency over where he plays, unless that team throws a lot more money at him than others and they have a good shot at contending for years to come.

It's an interesting debate on and off paper.

On paper Harper is probably the better hitter. He's really consistent for getting on base at least, and while the power comes and goes the raw ability is there. Machado is maybe somewhat safer, his peaks and valleys haven't been as dramatic as Harpers have. Since 2015 Harper has been the better hitter, but that's with one season where he was approaching Bonds-ian levels. Machado has hit at least 32 homers in every season since then, but no more than 37, whereas Harper has hit as few as 24 and as many as 42.

On paper Harper arguably has the higher ceiling but Machado has more consistency (in last last 4 years). But you consider, would Harper hit well in AT&T? I think Machado has a better shot at it.

All the other stuff, off paper, is where it gets really tough. Defensively Harper has been below-average, but this year especially he's just been awful. Is it an outlier or a warning sign (it's honestly so bad compared to the rest of his career)? Machado, meanwhile, is not a good SS but is an amazing defender at 3rd.

Harper is probably playing RF at AT&T, which could be disastrous. Machado isn't going to play SS with SF, which would be ideal. The left side of the infield would be one of the best in baseball.

But then you get personally feelings into the fold. Why would Harper want to play in SF where he might hit 25-30 homers a year when he could play in New York or Philly and hit 35-40 a year? Or, as you allude to, what if Machado really wants to play SS and establish his legacy there? The Giants aren't going to move Crawford for him (nor should they).

Neither guy is a good fit, but they need one of them so bad. I lean Machado just because of the right-handed bat and excellent defensive potential at 3rd if they can shake that situation out.

Now, what if the Giants crave into the pressure and adjust the park? Could change things.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big names that need to be added to the 40-man roster or risk being exposed to the Rule V draft:

Chris Shaw
Sam Wolff*
Tyler Rogers*
Tyler Cyr
Sandro Fabian
Mac Marshall
Melvin Adon
Rodolfo Martinez*

*Indicates prior Rule V eligibility.

Not too many tough decisions here, mostly because the Giants have already called up some of the guy who would have been eligible. Shaw is an easy call (may get added sooner). Duggar, Suarez and Black would have been eligible too.

Wolff will probably be added. Rogers is always in that middle ground, but if he hasn't been taken in the last two years, he probably won't ever.

Cyr was highly regarded last season, but had TJ. He's not a good enough player that a team will stash him for the year (a la Nick Burdi last season).

Rodolfo Martinez is still out of whack and not appealing.

The three toughest decisions will probably be Fabian, Marshall and Adon.

All three are quite talented. All three are in High-A, so not like they're too far away from the big leagues. All three have some serious red flags.

Fabian continues to be a statcat darling, just barreling up so many balls and looking in good in BP, but not translating at all to the field. He's quite baffling to many scouts. But a .600 OPS in the Cal League probably isn't going to tempt anyone, so he's probably safe.

Marshall has yet to have a healthy season, but this year (in limited time) has showed the major promise he had when he was drafted, a lefty with a plus fastball and changeup. His health risk is extreme and he still has just 115 innings under his belt since being drafted in 2015, so he's quite raw. But that hasn't stopped teams in the past. I could see a team stashing him in their Pen, limiting his innings and developing him in the bigs, though probably not too likely.

Adon is similar to Fernandez in a way. A truly special fastball, but very little feel otherwise. The Giants continue to try him in the rotation, but I could easily see a team selecting him and sticking him in the back of their bullpen as a long reliever.

I'd say that Shaw, Wolff and Adon are the most likely adds, and the Giants don't have to worry much about anyone else.
I had a bad case of insomnia last night and so I did my annual look at who in the org are Rule 5 eligible and/or minor league free agents. According to my research, Sandro Fabian will not need to be protected until next year's offseason. We've got one more year to decide. Additionally, Sam Wolff should be a minor league free agent if he isn't added to the 40 man roster by then. You are correct on everyone else. Here are a few extra names to consider:
Pitchers: Daniel Camarena, Israel Cruz, Ian Gardeck (free agent), Ryan Halstead, Jordan Johnson, Domenic Mazza, Dillon McNamara, Jesus Tona, Logan Webb Catchers: Andres Angulo Infielders: Manuel Geraldo, CJ Hinojosa Outfielders: none

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a bad case of insomnia last night and so I did my annual look at who in the org are Rule 5 eligible and/or minor league free agents. According to my research, Sandro Fabian will not need to be protected until next year's offseason. We've got one more year to decide. Additionally, Sam Wolff should be a minor league free agent if he isn't added to the 40 man roster by then. You are correct on everyone else. Here are a few extra names to consider:
Pitchers: Daniel Camarena, Israel Cruz, Ian Gardeck (free agent), Ryan Halstead, Jordan Johnson, Domenic Mazza, Dillon McNamara, Jesus Tona, Logan Webb Catchers: Andres Angulo Infielders: Manuel Geraldo, CJ Hinojosa Outfielders: none
Jesus Tona may be 40-candidate.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Logan Webb was a guy I had in my follow-up that I forgot to list. Marshall is a pretty easy 'no' at this point, but Webb is probably a 'yes'

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus Tona may be 40-candidate.
He is a unique case in that he's only at short A ball but because he's played mainly as a catcher the past few years he is eligible for the draft. He's put up incredible numbers. I could see a team like the Padres taking him and try to stash away at the back corner of the bullpen for a year. I think they've done something similar before but cannot remember how it ended.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logan Webb was a guy I had in my follow-up that I forgot to list. Marshall is a pretty easy 'no' at this point, but Webb is probably a 'yes'
I would agree with that assessment. Webb was a rare bright spot on an otherwise very mediocre to bad pitching SJ team. He's continued to do well in AA, where good starting pitching has also been hard to find.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a few other names who will be Rule 5 eligible. This list could be titled "What happened?":
Pitchers: Melvin Adon, Sam Coonrod, Tyler Cyr, Carlos Diaz, Joan Gregorio (free agent), Rodolfo Martinez, Dan Slania (free agent), Stetson Woods
Infielders: Jonah Arenado, Kelvin Beltre, Kevin Rivera
Outfielders: Jean Angomas, Dylan Davis, Johneshwy Fargas, Ronnie Jebavy

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a few other names who will be Rule 5 eligible. This list could be titled "What happened?":
Pitchers: Melvin Adon, Sam Coonrod, Tyler Cyr, Carlos Diaz, Joan Gregorio (free agent), Rodolfo Martinez, Dan Slania (free agent), Stetson Woods
Infielders: Jonah Arenado, Kelvin Beltre, Kevin Rivera
Outfielders: Jean Angomas, Dylan Davis, Johneshwy Fargas, Ronnie Jebavy

Melvin Adon the biggest possibility there. He's still just a raw thrower, but damn that fastball is good.