• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had more than 1 team on his list and, he has already said that he will not sign the extension this summer (not unexpected) and that he will wait to explore his options next season.

In fact, of the 3 teams in the NBA with the best collection of young tradeable talent, 2 were on davis’ preferred list.

And how did Davis quit on his team?

After his team chose to limit his minutes, his production was absolutely spectacular.

Here were his numbers over that span of 15 games:

22 minutes, 16.0 points, 8.5 rebs, 3.33 assists, 2.0 blocks, 1.2 steals on 55.5% from the field

Per 36 minutes that comes out to:

26.18 points, 13.91 rebs, 5.45 assists, 3.27 blocks, 1.96 steals

Davis averages about 36 minutes a game since his rookie year. Here are his single season best stats in each of those categories:

28.1 points, 12.0 rebounds, 3.9 assists, 1.6 steals, 2.9 blocks and 53.5% from the field

By the way many of those season bests game this year despite being limited to 22 minutes a game for 15 of the 56 contests he appeared in.

In other words, his production over that span was actually better than at ANY OTHER season in his career.

Davis did not quit on his team. He got benched after requesting a trade.

His agent said:

“They can trade for him, but it’ll be for one year,” Paul says. “I mean: If the Celtics traded for Anthony Davis, we would go there and we would abide by our contractual [obligations] and we would go into free agency in 2020. I’ve stated that to them. But in the event that he decides to walk away and you give away assets? Don’t blame Rich Paul.”

This, after he signed with Klutch.

Hopefully an explanation is needed as to why they wouldn’t pursue him.

As far as quitting, it is correct that he never asked to not play, or didn’t put forth effort, but he put the team in the position of trying to protect his health vs using him to try to win games.
Plus, do we know how other players felt?

Anyway, we just differ in opinion which is fine. I see your point of view, just don’t agree with it.

End of the day, I agree, he wasn’t leading NOLA anywhere, but I’ll lay a huge part of the blame on him.
He wants to be an alpha, but can’t back it up with winning and or leading.

Last edited:

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.

I have no problem with KD leaving. Nor leaving for Golden State.

But, KD basically told his Thunder teammates that he was coming back. Then, without facing them man to man, he went and signed with the team that just beat him. This summer, he chose to announce he was heading to Brooklyn without sitting down with either team while his boy Curry was en route on a cross country flight to meet him and try to persuade him to stay.

Anthony Davis on the other hand, requested a trade mid season and showed up to work the very next day sharing a locker room with his former Pelican teammates.

1 of those strikes me as a “pussy move” and it sure as hell isn’t Davis.

People don’t want players to have as much power as they do, and I get that.

But the reality is that in most industries, the very best practitioners in the world have a lot more freedom to move around and pursue the best salaries available to them on the open market. NBA players do not. Even after hitting free agency, their earning is capped ensuring that the truly elite players are grossly underpaid when compared to lesser peers who also command max contracts.

In other industries, people often do have to agree to contract terms as well as sign a non compete if they choose to leave their position.
In other words, there is a penalty to not honor what you agreed to.

As far as capped, players agree to it.
If they lift it, it will decrease their chance of winning because super teams would end.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hate what they did to Boston. You should have zero say in where you get traded. His agent making comments that he made is unacceptable.

“They can trade for him, but it’ll be for one year,”

The fact that it happened to Boston makes it even better. It's my favorite part of the whole thing.

AmIrite @Wamu ?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't have been my preference to go after Kawhi but if you didn't go after him after he targeted your team as a destination then your fan base would have killed your if you didn't try to sign him. In other words, I don't think as the Lakers GM you had a choice to NOT go after Kawhi.

Exactly. The only thing worse than not getting him...would be not even trying and then hearing later that he would have signed.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously? I make damn good money but the second I quit doing everything for the good of the organization I represent I will be looking to make damn good money elsewhere. It’s not just the owners, you get a check and work with people whose livelihoods are dependent on each other then you are accountable to them as well. That’s generally true no matter what you do or how much money you make. Accountability ain’t what it used to be though, and we are worse off for it.

And if another company came along and offered you more money or a better place to live, etc., etc.?

You'd say no?

Even though, if your company decided the money they were paying you was too damn good, or they could get more bang for their buck by bringing in someone else...you'd be looking for damn good money someplace else?

Accountability goes both ways, imo. Should the team not be held accountable for having him for 7 years and not putting a roster around him that could win?

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if another company came along and offered you more money or a better place to live, etc., etc.?

You'd say no?

Even though, if your company decided the money they were paying you was too damn good, or they could get more bang for their buck by bringing in someone else...you'd be looking for damn good money someplace else?

Accountability goes both ways, imo. Should the team not be held accountable for having him for 7 years and not putting a roster around him that could win?

All an employee can do is give their best and represent the organization that pays them to the best of their ability. If you sign something you honor it, period. Unless a contract has a no trade the players know they can be traded at any time. In exchange for that they get guaranteed contracts. After they sign the decision is theirs, man or pussy. AD is a pussy.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All an employee can do is give their best and represent the organization that pays them to the best of their ability. If you sign something you honor it, period. Unless a contract has a no trade the players know they can be traded at any time. In exchange for that they get guaranteed contracts. After they sign the decision is theirs, man or pussy. AD is a pussy.

And it's not incumbent upon the organization to provide the best workplace they possibly can?

A player signs a contract and they are obligated to do their very best for the organization, but the organization isn't required to do their very best to put together a team that can win?

Sorry, but both have obligations to each other when they both sign the contract.

Just as a player knows that if a team decides that a player isn't living up to his end of the deal, they can trade the player.

The team also knows that if the player decides that the team isn't living up to their end of the deal, he has the right to request a trade.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I tend to agree with this, but you have to remember these kids are not really "professionals"

Plus it's even worse if you think about it. Not only is he slapping the "company" team that is paying him millions, he is also directly hurting them in getting assets back by saying things like if you trade me to Boston it will be only for a year. He is doing the original team dirty. Sabotaging them if you will. That wouldn't fly in real business, that is why they have non compete, and protect assets, but the NBA has let the convicts run the show.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You'd say no?

As far as changing jobs, depends what your legal agreement is, including non compete.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it's not incumbent upon the organization to provide the best workplace they possibly can?

A player signs a contract and they are obligated to do their very best for the organization, but the organization isn't required to do their very best to put together a team that can win?

Sorry, but both have obligations to each other when they both sign the contract.

Just as a player knows that if a team decides that a player isn't living up to his end of the deal, they can trade the player.

The team also knows that if the player decides that the team isn't living up to their end of the deal, he has the right to request a trade.

When did NOLA not try to improve the team?

Wouldn’t you assume they got his input on decisions they were making?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami Heat center Bam Adebayo has been invited to next month’s USA Basketball trials in Las Vegas in advance of the FIBA World Cup that opens later next month in China, the South Florida Sun Sentinel has confirmed.

Maybe they just didn’t have TT’s number?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,146.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feenin' for some soul food this weekend.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,146.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,146.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off-season and we're having a great discussion.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,146.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to Gospel music while I catch up on this thread.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,146.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No wonder he serves as guardian of the board...lol

We may disagree at times (often actually....LOL) but he's one of my faves on here....just noticed his join date for the first time I think.

#Ecred

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,146.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did NOLA not try to improve the team?

Wouldn’t you assume they got his input on decisions they were making?

They traded for Cousins and then let him walk....rather than try and retain him or get somebody else to improve the team.....

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,146.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami Heat center Bam Adebayo has been invited to next month’s USA Basketball trials in Las Vegas in advance of the FIBA World Cup that opens later next month in China, the South Florida Sun Sentinel has confirmed.

Maybe they just didn’t have TT’s number?

"TT ain't got no time for that."

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They shouldnt have waited. They should have told Kawhi to sign now or forget it. Then they could have gone for Vucevic or someone else.

One of, if not THE best player in the world says he’s interested in signing with your team in free agency and you’re going to tell him to “hurry up or forget it”?

I can see why you’re no GM

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We may disagree at times (often actually....LOL) but he's one of my faves on here....just noticed his join date for the first time I think.

#Ecred
Don’t get me wrong, he is cool dude but he gave me hard time when I first started posting here as if he was testing me so I like to bust his chops every once in a while. In real he’s one of my favorite posters.