• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not saying they CAN'T say it. He's saying it's a pussy move to bitch publicly and demand a trade. He's right, keep it quiet so the team doesn't get double fucked. It's about honor. Players have a right to advocate for themselves, and we have a right to judge them based on how they do it.

How do we know he didn't try to keep it hush and the organization didn't respond seriously so he had no other choice but to escalate the situation.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are forgetting the part where AD told them, directly, that he’d be a 1 season rental.

I am not forgetting that at all.

Are you claiming that NOLA could not have traded AD to Boston or Memphis or Sacramento or wherever they wanted to?

Because they absolutely could have.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not forgetting that at all.

Are you claiming that NOLA could not have traded AD to Boston or Memphis or Sacramento or wherever they wanted to?

Because they absolutely could have.

They also could travel by bus, but they wont, because it makes no sense.

Davis made it 100% clear he was going to the Lakers, if not this season, then next.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do we know he didn't try to keep it hush and the organization didn't respond seriously so he had no other choice but to escalate the situation.

We don't know. We are just discussing acceptable moves vs pussy ones.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Find me one elite RFA since max contracts went into affect that did not sign the max deal for max years.

Find even 1 and you might have a point.

How many quit on their team and narrowed trade options down to 1 team?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would it still be considered a pussy move if he exhausted all other avenues before going public?

Maybe, I'd have to know a lot more details.

Look, a lot of this is common sense. We all know there's an honorable way and a not so honorable way to deal with players and teams. For example, what Carlos Boozer did to Cleveland was a big puss move. But Paul George handled his situations fairly honorably I'd say. As did Westbrook. As did Durant, both times.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Look, a lot of this is common sense. We all know there's an honorable way and a not so honorable way to deal with players and teams. For example, what Carlos Boozer did to Cleveland was a big puss move. But Paul George handled his situations fairly honorably I'd say. As did Westbrook. As did Durant, both times.

All I'm saying is that most of the time we aren't privy to all that transpired to pass judgement and know for sure it was a "pussy move" or not.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I'm saying is that most of the time we aren't privy to all that transpired to pass judgement and know for sure it was a "pussy move" or not.

Agreed, most of the stuff we talk shit about here we don't know nearly enough of the details to judge: trades, contracts, game plans, all of it.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,566.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't know. We are just discussing acceptable moves vs pussy ones.

Damn, MSG.....you're a founding father here at tHoop.....think the site came into existence around Dec 2009.....

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, MSG.....you're a founding father here at tHoop.....think the site came into existence around Dec 2009.....

No wonder he serves as guardian of the board...lol

cooljack

Destroyer of Worlds
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the time they signed him, and for a small contract, you're saying there were better players they should have gotten instead?

They shouldnt have waited. They should have told Kawhi to sign now or forget it. Then they could have gone for Vucevic or someone else.

cooljack

Destroyer of Worlds
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was available after Kawhi made his decision? Especially at the center position?

Now if you were an NBA GM and found out that your team was one of the three teams that Kawhi would consider, what would you have done?

See my above two posts.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many quit on their team and narrowed trade options down to 1 team?

He had more than 1 team on his list and, he has already said that he will not sign the extension this summer (not unexpected) and that he will wait to explore his options next season.

In fact, of the 3 teams in the NBA with the best collection of young tradeable talent, 2 were on davis’ preferred list.

And how did Davis quit on his team?

After his team chose to limit his minutes, his production was absolutely spectacular.

Here were his numbers over that span of 15 games:

22 minutes, 16.0 points, 8.5 rebs, 3.33 assists, 2.0 blocks, 1.2 steals on 55.5% from the field

Per 36 minutes that comes out to:

26.18 points, 13.91 rebs, 5.45 assists, 3.27 blocks, 1.96 steals

Davis averages about 36 minutes a game since his rookie year. Here are his single season best stats in each of those categories:

28.1 points, 12.0 rebounds, 3.9 assists, 1.6 steals, 2.9 blocks and 53.5% from the field

By the way many of those season bests game this year despite being limited to 22 minutes a game for 15 of the 56 contests he appeared in.

In other words, his production over that span was actually better than at ANY OTHER season in his career.

Davis did not quit on his team. He got benched after requesting a trade.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting.

I have no problem with KD leaving. Nor leaving for Golden State.

But, KD basically told his Thunder teammates that he was coming back. Then, without facing them man to man, he went and signed with the team that just beat him. This summer, he chose to announce he was heading to Brooklyn without sitting down with either team while his boy Curry was en route on a cross country flight to meet him and try to persuade him to stay.

Anthony Davis on the other hand, requested a trade mid season and showed up to work the very next day sharing a locker room with his former Pelican teammates.

1 of those strikes me as a “pussy move” and it sure as hell isn’t Davis.

People don’t want players to have as much power as they do, and I get that.

But the reality is that in most industries, the very best practitioners in the world have a lot more freedom to move around and pursue the best salaries available to them on the open market. NBA players do not. Even after hitting free agency, their earning is capped ensuring that the truly elite players are grossly underpaid when compared to lesser peers who also command max contracts.