• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,183.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How bout LeBron with the triple double last night

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 possessions in a row (the last 4): Love missed a wide open 3 to tie. Missed a two vs Smart to cut it to one. Let Hayward grab a off rebound and score 2. In bounded it to Kemba for a turnover.
its almost as if they did not want to win it....lol

I will tel lya- in the moment i want them to win - but after the game i can definitely be happy with a very good effort and the fact that a loss keeps us closer to keeping our pick and possibly adding a big time player.

This is a roster that- if it is allowed to grow and makes certain changes-- just needs that one big time player- and if you are the Cavs you almost certainly have to get that either through the draft or trade---- which either way that pick gives you ammunition.

Cedi made some dumb mistakes last night from when I was watching. Garland looks like he is a 19 year old right now....

but you can at least see the plan and the talent.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown couldn’t stay anywhere long term

Never understood that.

I might be wrong, but I don't remember him ever getting fired anywhere. He just coaches for a few years and then leaves.

I guess some folks are just wanderers. lol

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game ball to the Lakers bench tonight...

Quinn Cook had a nice game but you gotta give to the guy that was finding that open man. Like I said...I think this is going to be Lebron's best year assists wise and he averages a double double. Get those rebounds up and he might just average a triple double...don't think that will happen though

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won that game in spite of Frank vogel's questionable rotations. It was good however to see Kuzma get back going, dude was huge in the 4th. This defense is legit, and man, ol' Dwight is giving more effort than I've seen him give in YEARS

He's still trying out different groups. He seemed to have settled into some rotations, but then Kuz came back and he has to fit him in. I expect we'll see some different rotations when Rondo returns too.

I'm almost afraid to say anything about Dwight. I don't want to jinx it. lol

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard a few people that thought and said New Orleans would be better then the Lakers who got raped in that deal. I am not totally convinced that Zion would have had a huge impact. I haven't seen too many rookies make a huge difference in the first year, but I do wish Zion the best and I wish the best for New Orleans.
I think both teams accomplished what they wanted out of the deal.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad to see it... but Cleveland playing some matador defense tonight.
Not the best obviously, but I'll credit the player. 16-16 from 2? Heard the best since Chamberlain (without a miss)

Thought he was overpaid, but always liked him. Good for him.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its almost as if they did not want to win it....lol

I will tel lya- in the moment i want them to win - but after the game i can definitely be happy with a very good effort and the fact that a loss keeps us closer to keeping our pick and possibly adding a big time player.

This is a roster that- if it is allowed to grow and makes certain changes-- just needs that one big time player- and if you are the Cavs you almost certainly have to get that either through the draft or trade---- which either way that pick gives you ammunition.

Cedi made some dumb mistakes last night from when I was watching. Garland looks like he is a 19 year old right now....

but you can at least see the plan and the talent.

In the moment I always want them to win and I get very frustrated. They stayed between that 8-12 range pretty much the entire game then they make a great run late in the 4th...TT had a lot to do with that and then Love basically bricks two shots.

They are competiting though, even the games that look lopsided they are in the game for 3 1/2 quarters.

Yep, young guys still making mistakes but expected. Garland is looking very tenative, he doesn't even want to shoot at times. Passed up an open jumper to go with the floater, it will take time.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil Jackson
Greg Popovich

Their resumes are insane. Phil won multiple championships with 2 teams and 3 different core groups of players. Unheard of. Pop’s success over time speaks for itself.

Then you got about 20 other coaches with resumes as good or better than Brown’s. I get that you are dug in on this, but it is pretty absurd IMO to rank Brown as #1 all time. He could make average teams good and good teams really good. He added value. But all his moving around is a huge negative.

Because as soon as Larry Brown faces adversity in any of his jobs, he bolted for greener pastures. He could not have presided over the Spurs dynasty. He could not have accomplished what Phil did. Just not in his DNA.

Pop I agree with.

Phil, not as much. I see Phil more as being great at managing ego's and getting all time greats to buy into a team concept (while still letting them be great). It's hugely important and some coaches never learn how to do it. But there's more than that to being a great coach, imo.

But I was never that impressed with his X's and O's. His triangle offense wasn't even his, it was Tex Winters offense and that's who would generally teach it to the players. At one point, I think Kobe actually knew the triangle better than Phil. lol

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See,

This is why you are totally missing the boat with Kerr, IMO.

There are a lot of coaches who can are capable of overachieving with average talent. Stevens did that. But, he failed when he had a roster good enough to win the whole thing.

Taking a good team and helping them get over the top is more difficult IMO. And Kerr did that. 2017 and 2018 was talent overkill. But his first 2 years he was fantastic.
Am I reading this right? Kerr had "average talent" his first couple years?

Not sure how this is me missing the boat with anyone. Never said not easier to coach with lower expectations.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the moment I always want them to win and I get very frustrated. They stayed between that 8-12 range pretty much the entire game then they make a great run late in the 4th...TT had a lot to do with that and then Love basically bricks two shots.

They are competiting though, even the games that look lopsided they are in the game for 3 1/2 quarters.

Yep, young guys still making mistakes but expected. Garland is looking very tenative, he doesn't even want to shoot at times. Passed up an open jumper to go with the floater, it will take time.
Agree 100%. I watch the games and get into it. Hope they pull it out. But know on the end keeping that pick is best for the team.

Thinking the same about Garland. He's young and can improve on those floater (some look like they might bring rain). Kept hearing the stories about his longrange shooting in his workout making them fall in love.....I'd like to see him take more and live with the results.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pop I agree with.

Phil, not as much. I see Phil more as being great at managing ego's and getting all time greats to buy into a team concept (while still letting them be great). It's hugely important and some coaches never learn how to do it. But there's more than that to being a great coach, imo.

But I was never that impressed with his X's and O's. His triangle offense wasn't even his, it was Tex Winters offense and that's who would generally teach it to the players. At one point, I think Kobe actually knew the triangle better than Phil. lol
Not even sure he got everyone to buy into team concept. Certainly not in LA......just too talented not to win.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown couldn’t stay anywhere long term and only won 1 title.

But he was very good at helping teams produce at greater than the sum of their parts. Not the best choice to get a team over the top though.
He didn't get the Pistons "over the top"?

Guy took the Clippers to the playoffs when they were very Clipper-like at that time.

coudn't stay anywhere longterm possibly because he wanted a new challenge? You think Phillip takes the jobs in LA or Detroit?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 possessions in a row (the last 4): Love missed a wide open 3 to tie. Missed a two vs Smart to cut it to one. Let Hayward grab a off rebound and score 2. In bounded it to Kemba for a turnover.
and his other 30+ minutes? There were other guys allowed to box out Heyward, as well.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both teams accomplished what they wanted out of the deal.

As I posted at the time, the best trades are when both GM's can go to the owner and say "We won that trade".

Pelinka can say that the Lakers won the trade because they got AD, kept Kuzma and didn't have to take on Solomon Hill's contract.

Griffin can say the Pels won the trade because they got several talented young players who are used to playing together. With Zion, they should be very good in a couple of years.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quinn Cook had a nice game but you gotta give to the guy that was finding that open man. Like I said...I think this is going to be Lebron's best year assists wise and he averages a double double. Get those rebounds up and he might just average a triple double...don't think that will happen though

I hear what you're saying, but the comeback actually started with him AND AD on the bench. big part also was Kuzma finding his game...

was just giving some cred where it was due. Mostly because our bench NEEDS to step up on the kinda nights that we were having...

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And winning at all those places. Makes him better than some coach who wins a bit then gets to stay somewhere forever no matter what he does
And I get thinking his moving around too much is a negative. Have to allow he just gets bored and wants a new challenge. And he isn't the type who is walking into a ready made title team like Phillip does.