• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-20 Quest for the cup(The Carter Hart era begins)

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were to rank top 5 most valuable Flyers based on this season:
1) Couts
2) TK
3) Hayes
4) Hart and Elliott
5) Niskanen

It's kind of baffling that Hayes is a -10 on the season when the team is a +13 as a whole.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 short handed goals 4 game winning goals evens out that -10

Yeah, +/- can be a tricky metric to evaluate.
Flyers could be up 4-0 and Hayes just happens to be on the ice when they give up 2 goals and winds up a -2 in a 4-2 win.
There is some luck involved in plus/minus, just like BABIP for baseball players.

I don't think it speaks to his ability to prevent goals, but is more likely a fascinating statistical anomaly

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers could be up 4-0 and Hayes just happens to be on the ice when they give up 2 goals and winds up a -2 in a 4-2 win.
There is some luck involved in plus/minus, just like BABIP for baseball players.

I don't think it speaks to his ability to prevent goals, but is more likely a fascinating statistical anomaly
Plus minus is not the end all be all of stats but for the most part it gets it right. This stat is more accurate for defensemen than forwards but i think overall it tells you the story of how the player is playing. I just think leading the league in short handed goals and having the team lead in game winning goals makes that -10 look trivial.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last night’s scoreboard sucked - except for Canes loss.

can’t catch a break

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Plus minus is not the end all be all of stats but for the most part it gets it right. This stat is more accurate for defensemen than forwards but i think overall it tells you the story of how the player is playing. I just think leading the league in short handed goals and having the team lead in game winning goals makes that -10 look trivial.

You also have to factor in that he plays a lot on the PK so that doesn't help him either. His over all play like Las said balances all that out.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be like getting a solid player in a trade without making a trade.
Exactly...

Obviously a return to NHL is still a ways off, but this is the first real step towards progress all year.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shayne Gostisbehere’s return nears, who should he replace?

Heres the numbers. It should say Hagg is flying under the radar as a key part of flyers.

Did you even read the article you linked?

"So if we’re to think of the Big Four as safe, that leaves just Hagg and Braun. Both branded as reliable, stay-at-home defensemen, only one of them has the results this season to back it up. One would imagine that if a defenseman was actually good at keeping shots to the outside, thus reducing their danger, that their team would give up fewer shots and chances against with them on the ice. And with Braun, the Flyers have.

All of which leads us to this: When Gostisbehere makes his return to the lineup, it should be in place of Hagg. His team-best goals for percentage and plus-minus rating of late isn’t an accurate representation of how well the Flyers had control while he was on the ice. Nor is it indicative of their future goal results with him out there."

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you even read the article you linked?

"So if we’re to think of the Big Four as safe, that leaves just Hagg and Braun. Both branded as reliable, stay-at-home defensemen, only one of them has the results this season to back it up. One would imagine that if a defenseman was actually good at keeping shots to the outside, thus reducing their danger, that their team would give up fewer shots and chances against with them on the ice. And with Braun, the Flyers have.

All of which leads us to this: When Gostisbehere makes his return to the lineup, it should be in place of Hagg. His team-best goals for percentage and plus-minus rating of late isn’t an accurate representation of how well the Flyers had control while he was on the ice. Nor is it indicative of their future goal results with him out there."
Of course i read it and Haggs numbers are better than Braun's. just because the author nor anyone else gives hagg the credit his numbers dont lie.