• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Draft...way too early talk

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I dont see it. Davis cant cover crap.
Most of the highlights I saw on Edmunds showed him ballhawking in the centerfield. So maybe he can play FS? Still can't justify the value in the 1st Rd. Nowhere that I've see his name had him higher than the 3rd Rd. Just why?

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the highlights I saw on Edmunds showed him ballhawking in the centerfield. So maybe he can play FS? Still can't justify the value in the 1st Rd. Nowhere that I've see his name had him higher than the 3rd Rd. Just why?

Much better at SS than FS in college.

Seems like a reach to me by a round or two based on his resume but don't underestimate his potential. He can be a beast. Would definitely be a SS to me though.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much better at SS than FS in college.

Seems like a reach to me by a round or two based on his resume but don't underestimate his potential. He can be a beast. Would definitely be a SS to me though.
Thanks for the insight. Yea I'm struggling to justify the pick. Seems like they panicked & reached. No clue why they wouldn't have simply drafted a better prospect at a different position then went for Edmunds in the 2nd Rd if they truly wanted him.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the insight. Yea I'm struggling to justify the pick. Seems like they panicked & reached. No clue why they wouldn't have simply drafted a better prospect at a different position then went for Edmunds in the 2nd Rd if they truly wanted him.

there was some talk (i honestly didn't believe it for real) on my pay VT site that said he was moving up people's boards significantly behind the scenes and could sneak into the 2nd or possibly even the first. I'm pretty sure one of the guys on NFL.com's website said the same and projected him first yesterday (still didn't believe it). He is a good player and person though for real. Not sure that i would have taken him quite that early but if that was the position and player you really wanted then there isn't a 100% chance you get him later.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there was some talk (i honestly didn't believe it for real) on my pay VT site that said he was moving up people's boards significantly behind the scenes and could sneak into the 2nd or possibly even the first. I'm pretty sure one of the guys on NFL.com's website said the same and projected him first yesterday (still didn't believe it). He is a good player and person though for real. Not sure that i would have taken him quite that early but if that was the position and player you really wanted then there isn't a 100% chance you get him later.
Might not have. Still having a hard time figuring out why they wanted another SS type. They picked up a starting SS in free agency in Nick Burnett. And they already had a starting SS in Sean Davis. Now they have 3 SS's that could possibly start. None of which are suitable to transition to FS. There were rumors about Davis making the switch, but Tomlin shot those down last week. He intends to play Burnett at FS, which makes no sense. He's more of a tweener LB.

I had hoped that Edmunds would be a FS type. Oh well.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might not have. Still having a hard time figuring out why they wanted another SS type. They picked up a starting SS in free agency in Nick Burnett. And they already had a starting SS in Sean Davis. Now they have 3 SS's that could possibly start. None of which are suitable to transition to FS. There were rumors about Davis making the switch, but Tomlin shot those down last week. He intends to play Burnett at FS, which makes no sense. He's more of a tweener LB.

Edmunds redshirted at CB when he came in. Played SS his freshman and sophomore year and FS his RS-JR year out of depth chart necessity. He was a much better SS than FS IMO.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shocking! I thought they were going to surprise us with someone like that TE from South Dakota State. Never thought it would be with a S who wasn't listed in any of the pre-draft speculation.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh well, hope they can still get a solid ILB on the second day of the draft.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...the dust hasn't quite settled on the 1st round yet, but it's time to chat it up.

Edmunds at 28...1st off lets review the board at that pick.

All 4 LBs were gone...something I chatted about just a couple of days ago on Steeler Depot...said it was possible this yr in spite of the history at the position.

Who was there.

Picked after 28...Taven Bryan, DT/DE, Mike Hughes, CB, Sony Michel, RB, Lamar Jackson, QB...clearly they did not need a DE this high, we all think another CB is in order, RB, Michel wasn't their guy, QB, idk how much separation there is as passers from Dobbs to Jackson.

Guys talked about or mocked

Guice...#2 rated RB on most big boards. Many of us thought he might be the pick if they didn't go LB or S. They passed. What does this mean? One thing they probably feel better about Connor's health than we know about. Secondly, I have a feeling they have some RBs later in mind. Interesting that Sony Michel went ahead of of him...fwiw, the people over at UGA were all saying his knee is fine yesterday afternoon...versatility was valued over feature RB potential I think.

Reid...thought to be a legit FS candidate, some had a 1st rd grade on him.

Bates...thought to be a legit FS candidate, most had 2nd rd grades on him.

Feel free to insert a name I for forgot.

Thoughts on the pick...I feel pretty confident in saying the Steelers liked LVE and Evans...once LVE went as high as he did, they had to know the Evans probably was not going to last to 28. This pick to seems like a reach for a need and clearly they liked this guy better than the other Ss on the board.

I'm not as concerned about his pre-draft grade, 2nd round, to 3rd round, ( I think most players at the bottom of the 1st or top of the 2nd are somewhat similar athletes)...I'm more interested in his potential impact on this team.

Player/postion...I like the pick...they got more athletic on the backend...where he fits best, SS/FS, we'll have to see, but ST, and some dime work I see in his future off the bat.

Value...there's not much to like based on pre-draft grades...trading back and getting him would've felt a lot better I think, but maybe they didn't get the phone call.

We'll see how the rest of it unfolds over the next couple of days, but moving MB for a 3rd rder (79) and keeping him away from BAL and NE was big imo.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm all for drafting BPA even if you don't have a clear need. But that assumes the player you are taking at a position of strength is heads above the rest of the field. I'm kind of just sitting here shaking my head. I have no idea what they are thinking. Could they be considering moving him to LB? He'd be a VERY small LB but he did play some dime backer in college.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing to keep in mind: The Steelers have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL and they DO NOT go out and buy that on the open market. It's home grown. They probably know what they are doing for the most part.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shazier was there to walk out and announce the Steelers pick, there was no way they were trading out of the 1st round last night. Wouldn't matter what someone offered them to do so.

That's just how the Steelers operate.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but I don't like this pick. Especially with Justin Reid and Josh Jackson still available and especially seeing that Tennessee traded up 4 spots to get Rashaan Evans and the Chargers got Derwin James at 17. Seeing the trades last night, we could've definitely put together something to move up. We settled for Edmunds. We completely settled and that's what I wanted to try and avoid. The best thing we might of done last night was get another 3rd round pick to make up for the blunder that the first round pick was. At first glance, we probably chose wrong in the first round for the 4th time in 6 years. Jones, Dupree and Burns either didn't or haven't panned out yet to perform at the level a 1st round pick should.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but I don't like this pick. Especially with Justin Reid and Josh Jackson still available and especially seeing that Tennessee traded up 4 spots to get Rashaan Evans and the Chargers got Derwin James at 17. Seeing the trades last night, we could've definitely put together something to move up. We settled for Edmunds. We completely settled and that's what I wanted to try and avoid. The best thing we might of done last night was get another 3rd round pick to make up for the blunder that the first round pick was. At first glance, we probably chose wrong in the first round for the 4th time in 6 years. Jones, Dupree and Burns either didn't or haven't panned out yet to perform at the level a 1st round pick should.

I can buy that on Reid, but obviously they rated Edmunds higher. As far as Jackson, I can't beat them up too much there because they clearly were not going CB at 28. Interesting that all 32 teams passed on a guy some people felt was a top 5 CB.

Did they settle? It feels like they did this morning, but I can't say they have failed us yet.

An expanded list of players they left on the board last night that might have made sense to more of the Steeler Nation.

Harold Landry, OLB
Josh Jackson, CB
Derrius Guice, RB
Harrison Phillips, DE
Mark Andrews, TE
Sam Hubbard, OLB
Maurice Hurst, DE
Carlton Davis, CB
Ron Harrison, S
Justin Reid, S

Trades...TN was at 25 iirc based on the trading partner (BAL), we know that wasn't happening with PIT. OAK apparently was all in on Mcglinchey or Roquan Smith...once both were off the board they were willing to move back...28? Was a call made? One would hope. Obviously we don't know, but I don't think they could take a chance exposing the #2 OT to CIN (21) or NE (23).

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can buy that on Reid, but obviously they rated Edmunds higher. As far as Jackson, I can't beat them up too much there because they clearly were not going CB at 28. Interesting that all 32 teams passed on a guy some people felt was a top 5 CB.

Did they settle? It feels like they did this morning, but I can't say they have failed us yet.

An expanded list of players they left on the board last night that might have made sense to more of the Steeler Nation.

Harold Landry, OLB
Josh Jackson, CB
Derrius Guice, RB
Harrison Phillips, DE
Mark Andrews, TE
Sam Hubbard, OLB
Maurice Hurst, DE
Carlton Davis, CB
Ron Harrison, S
Justin Reid, S

Trades...TN was at 25 iirc based on the trading partner (BAL), we know that wasn't happening with PIT. OAK apparently was all in on Mcglinchey or Roquan Smith...once both were off the board they were willing to move back...28? Was a call made? One would hope. Obviously we don't know, but I don't think they could take a chance exposing the #2 OT to CIN (21) or NE (23).

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't sound like even he was expecting a call

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if they had the extra 3rd (79) in hand when they were making these calls.
Well its cool they upgraded their 3rd Rd pick. But the debate will rage on whether this was a good move. Keeping a dynamic WR like Bryant while the team is in win-now mode made the most sense. Even if he was going to be gone after 2018. I'm hopeful they take a talented WR in the next few picks. Or else they downgraded their offense this year which would be a head-scrather.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More thoughts on Edmunds... Glad to see they are making an effort to focus on more fundamental football players. Edmunds brings A+ tackling and communication to a secondary that has been devoid of both in recent years. He may not be the FS we were wanting, but I think he has better fundamentals than Sean Davis does.