• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a bit confident but if taken literally Mazara has the undeveloped skills that make him a potential candidate. Much improvement is needed obviously. I think this is the beauty of baseball and the weakness of analytics. Forecasting that off the past discounting the human factor, will etc

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shohei Ohtani's Agent Sends Memo To MLB Teams

With Shohei Ohtani’s trip to the open market approaching, the phenom’s agent sent a memo on Friday to all major league teams requesting written explanations in both English and Japanese on why they’d be the right fit for the right-handed ace/left-handed slugger, as the Associated Press first reported.

Ohtani’s lead representative, Nez Balelo of CAA Sports, told teams not to include financial terms of a potential contract in their answers. But with Ohtani’s Japanese organization, the Nippon Ham Fighters, primed to post him as early as Dec. 1, Balelo informed major league clubs that he’d like to receive their responses as soon as possible.

Here’s a rundown of the memo’s specifics, courtesy of Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times:

1. “An evaluation of Shohei’s talent as a pitcher and/or a hitter;
  2. “Player development, medical, training and player performance philosophies and capabilities;
  3. “Major League, Minor League, and Spring Training facilities;
  4. “Resources for Shohei’s cultural assimilation;
  5. “A detailed plan for integrating Shohei into the organization;
  6. “Why the city and franchise are a desirable place to play;
  7. “Relevant marketplace characteristics.”

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When’s the last time a Rangers offseason thread was fun?

Perhaps not fun but this sets up to be very intriguing offseason to me. Really curious about potential trades, and FA pickups, the Ohtani story. If we go for big starters, how a guy like Guzman does in ST, even bullpen approach.

This is very early and still anothe week until winter meetings which is really traditionally the start of Hot Stove

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here’s a rundown of the memo’s specifics, courtesy of Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times:
  1. “An evaluation of Shohei’s talent as a pitcher and/or a hitter;
  2. “Player development, medical, training and player performance philosophies and capabilities;
  3. “Major League, Minor League, and Spring Training facilities;
  4. “Resources for Shohei’s cultural assimilation;
  5. “A detailed plan for integrating Shohei into the organization;
  6. “Why the city and franchise are a desirable place to play;
  7. “Relevant marketplace characteristics.”

Really think this is pretty prudent on Othani's part, and may be the wave of the future.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really think this is pretty prudent on Othani's part, and may be the wave of the future.
Well Hoopa dee do da look who's back. Hope you ya had a good trip.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps not fun but this sets up to be very intriguing offseason to me. Really curious about potential trades, and FA pickups, the Ohtani story. If we go for big starters, how a guy like Guzman does in ST, even bullpen approach.

This is very early and still anothe week until winter meetings which is really traditionally the start of Hot Stove
i think the Rangers off-season starts with a trade at the winter meetings and i don't it involves pitching, unless the Rangers get Ohtani first. i think the Rangers surprise everyone by putting a package together and pick up Christian Yelich + another player from the Marlins at the winter meetings

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me signing Darvish is the key to not only this winter, but for our future. I think signing him quickly enhances our chances of signing Otani. Getting him and Otani would be a way to shorten up our rebuilding process significantly.
I have other things I want us to do, but I am not sure JD does those things. I would love to see Hamels and Choo traded and possibly Odor as well. The pieces we get back for them or at least 2 of them could help us when we are a better team in 2019 and beyond. The money saved would allow us to go get a closer and that backs everyone in the pen up a spot unless Bush does indeed become a starter. If Bush does become a starter that saves some money as well and that money can be put to use signing another reliever free agent.

My goals in order are the following:

1) Sign Darvish
2) Sign Otani
3) Trade Hamels
4) Sign Mikolas
5) Trade Odor
5) Sign a closer
6) Trade Choo
7) Sign a reliever to take Bush's spot
8) Sign a starter or two to a minor league contract

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the Rangers off-season starts with a trade at the winter meetings and i don't it involves pitching, unless the Rangers get Ohtani first. i think the Rangers surprise everyone by putting a package together and pick up Christian Yelich + another player from the Marlins at the winter meetings
Well I was wrong but Foster is not what I expected or wanted on this team. Guess that answers any questions about the path management has chosen and it ain't going to be pretty

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I was wrong but Foster is not what I expected or wanted on this team. Guess that answers any questions about the path management has chosen and it ain't going to be pretty
If Fister is the 5th starter then that is fine as long as he didn't cost too much. That would keep Bush in the pen I would think. If both Fister and Bush are in the rotation then that mean trouble for 2018. I hoe it is for a year and no more.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me signing Darvish is the key to not only this winter, but for our future. I think signing him quickly enhances our chances of signing Otani. Getting him and Otani would be a way to shorten up our rebuilding process significantly.
I have other things I want us to do, but I am not sure JD does those things. I would love to see Hamels and Choo traded and possibly Odor as well. The pieces we get back for them or at least 2 of them could help us when we are a better team in 2019 and beyond. The money saved would allow us to go get a closer and that backs everyone in the pen up a spot unless Bush does indeed become a starter. If Bush does become a starter that saves some money as well and that money can be put to use signing another reliever free agent.

My goals in order are the following:

1) Sign Darvish
2) Sign Otani
3) Trade Hamels
4) Sign Mikolas
5) Trade Odor
5) Sign a closer
6) Trade Choo
7) Sign a reliever to take Bush's spot
8) Sign a starter or two to a minor league contract
We just signed Fister so you may be right about trading Hamels. Why keep him around

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Bush and Fister could compete for that 5th spot in the rotation with the loser going to the pen.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Hoopa dee do da look who's back. Hope you ya had a good trip.

Thanks....but I'm still in Quito and won't be back until next Sat. ha

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Fister is the 5th starter then that is fine as long as he didn't cost too much. That would keep Bush in the pen I would think. If both Fister and Bush are in the rotation then that mean trouble for 2018. I hoe it is for a year and no more.

I agree. Keep shopping. Things may go better than we think!

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Please rethink........This guy if does well is a cheap addition and there is an option. Decent year last year and if team does not do well is a potential controllable trade chip.

See no problem with this path