• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Offseason Thread

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cap Overage is always a moving target because the cap is calculated daily. This is why you see big trades happen either in the summer or near the end of the season and not too many between Oct and the trade deadline (that is when every team has a ton of money on the books). As the season progresses, teams gain cap space, so they are able to make the trades for big dollar players

For example: season runs 210 days, Oct – April. Oct 16, LA has $68 million on the books or $323,809 per day. March 1, or approximately 180 days later, $58.25 million is off the books so LA has about $10 million in available cap space to play with for deadline acquisitions. This does NOT mean they have $10 million available for the following season.

Nope, same calculations. Using the same example ($70 million limit/$68 million Kings) at the start of the season and guessing numbers for Greene ($2.75 million) and Gaborik ($4.875 million):

Greene + Gaborik – (Upper Limit – Available Cap Space)
$7.625 million - $2 million= $5.625 million cap overage
$68 million + $5.625 million = Kings can spend up to $73.625 million

Using my March 1 date and if they have the $10 million available, there is no LTIR relief because there is more cap space available than LTIR overage. Because of the daily calculation, LTIR is not really effective towards the end of the season because teams gain cap space anyway. If they have more cap space available than LTIR cap overage, it’s a moot point.

Hope that helps.

Yes, thanks. I guess since the Kings were never in a position this last year that using LTIR on either Quick, Gaborik or Greene would've helped to gain that much cap space. For next year, if Greene really is totally, completely done, then why not put him on LTIR? Even if the Kings don't gain anything significant in cap space now, they could acquire a player that gets them closer to the cap, and thus, more space for Cap Overage via the formula provided. Perhaps they just wait until that actually (if) happens, whether its this summer or next year.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Generally you won't see guys on LTIR who don't make a lot of money, there is not real benefit to it because the dollars aren't huge.

It would have made more sense to put Gaborik on LTIR than Greene in 2016-17. Putting a player on LTIR also removes them from the active roster, which opens up a spot for another player either from within the organization or outside.

The problems start when the LTIR guys start getting healthy and come back, especially if it's sooner than expected or of it is on the heels of one another (say 4 guys coming back in a span of 5 weeks). Teams then have an issue of trying to get compliant (under the cap) by whatever the overage is.

Taking the same numbers we have been using, and the Kings used the LTIR overage for Greene and Gaborik, the Kings would have to immediately shed $3.625 million to not be penalized. That is a salary amount meant for a decent player, maybe a second liner, or some combination of players, which creates a whole new set of roster problems. Realistically, one option would be you may have to lose 3 $1 million and plus change players, which depletes your B6 line up. Not a good thing.

Greene is on the last year of his 4 year/$10 million deal anyway, so it may make sense to just buy him out - his cap hit would only be $833,333 for the next 2 years. I've read reports he is seriously done and may retire, which would be best because the whole $2.5 million cap hit comes off the books since he was 31 when he signed it (not a 35+ contract). They would just pay him his final year off the books.

May not be a bad idea, looking at his stats he has played in all 82 games only twice in the last 6 seasons, 2011-12 when LA won the Cup and 2014-15 when they missed the POs - he had taken some damage it seems and it has only gotten worse. His GPs numbers in the other 4 years are 5, 38, 3 and 26.

He was vital to changing the culture of this team and will always be remembered as one of the consummate team players ever.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess for all of the answers that will come later, I do like Robitaille and Blake being transparent and just saying what they're going to do/what they're thinking.

I like the simple fact he doesn't speak in Lombardi. That guy was brilliant but wow did he muddy up reading material with all kinds of filler - I remember the Venn Diagrams from 2007, the whole science of time/clocks when the clock at Staples stopped, Doughty fired in the GW goal and it started again, and all kinds of weird shit coming out of that dude's mouth.

We're hockey fans, not scientists.

I do not get the Martinez criticism. Defenseman are usually good to go much later than forwards, so him approaching 30 doesn't really bother me. Plus it sounds like they're going to really address his groin this summer (heyo!).

I'm not sure either what that whole thing is about. I think it's irresponsible to start, it insinuates that Martinez is on the trading block. Was this mentioned? Was it discussed? Did Blake and ROBOTILE say anything to that degree? Was it taken out of context? There are all kinds of scenarios here and I think it was wrong to put that out there like that.

Willie Mitchell was pretty effective up until about age 35 or so I think, and he had major health issues from the concussions to the knees to everything else. Martinez will be fine, he's not even 30 yet.

I can't speak for anyone else but if it's a choice between Muffin and Martinez, Muffin is being shown the door. His regression this season was eye popping, it wasn't just a blip either - he sucked balls from day one. I guess you could say he consistently sucked.

I think he has peaked as a defender which was 2 seasons ago. He will make $12 million for 3 more years and is a year younger than Martinez, but I think the hype around him is the big selling point. He is a solid T3/4 defender but definitely not a T2. His age, contract, perception and size make him attractive. Unfortunately, his bonehead decisions, lack of physical play for being a big guy and inconsistency make him unattractive.

The biggest thing to me is Martinez is a better skater and tends to get the puck out of trouble and jump into the play more than Muzzin does while still being a responsible defenseman. I believe his hockey IQ is a lot better than Muzzin's, and for being a smaller guy he is more physical.

If the Kings want to change the offense up to be more aggressive and drive it to the net, Martinez is the one to keep - not Muzzin.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
72Ade-q1.jpg

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like the only people that think Muffin > Martinez don't really watch the games and just go by all the different #'s that really don't tell the story

And that’s the thing – I think metrics are great to get an idea of something but should not be used as a primary indicator of a player. It should be used as a piece of the puzzle. Unfortunately for LA, they relied way too heavily on analytics to where it became an organizational philosophy and not just one tool in the toolbox. “Muzzin is 61.85% Corsi player and therefore he must be an All Star” is the feeling I got from Dumbo & Co. on how they viewed players. Way too much relying on those types of stats, especially the last few years.

Muzzin can drive the play, he can keep pucks in, he can distribute the puck to forwards. Awesome, that is what a defenseman should do; in addition to primary responsibilities of preventing being scored on they are counted on to recover pucks, break cycles, protect the net with the goal of gaining the puck, moving it out and joining the play.

He has some offensive capabilities but for whatever reason doesn’t use them as much as he should and when he pulls a SNAFU it’s almost guaranteed to be at the most inopportune time or an inopportune situation. Those kinds of incidents/stats are not tracked, you have to keep an eye out for that on your own as a player, coach or fan and they absolutely kill a team.

A good example is if the Kings are down 3-1, had some PP chances and generated opportunities but didn’t score, and then get one to make it 3-2 and soon after another to make it 3-3, all the momentum is in their favor to keep charging and get the lead. Soon after the tying goal Metric Guy will turn over the puck in the slot in front of Quick as the last man back and the Kings will get scored on, killing everything LA worked so hard to do for some sustained period of time. These are the types of things he does that end up negating the positives he brings.

I’ll never forget the no look behind the back backhand pass he tried to make last year or in 2015 to Doughty all the way across the ice skating backwards into the Kings’ defensive zone, only to be picked off by the forechecking forward who went in all alone on Quick and scored. He and Doughty were like 30 feet apart and there was no way either of them could get to the forward because they were both so close to their respective boards. Boom, in the net.

There was no need to even attempt something like that. But that is Muffin for you.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If the trio heads there does Blysma come back to LA? Perhaps that is the news we will get tomorrow

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reign vs Gulls game last night: Gulls break 1-1 tie with 2 min left to win. Super chippy game, several scrums and couple fights. My 2 cents on Kings prospects:

Kempe looked decent, but thought he would've been better. Although Gulls were clearly going after him all night. Took one bad offensive zone penalty.
Brodzinski: looked good, fast. Looking forward to seeing in Kings line-up.
Mersch: looked alright. huge on the penalty kill (as was Sutter)
LaDue: clearly talented for AHL level. Never going to be a big defense-man, but probably needs to get stronger to be consistent in NHL.
Campbell: pretty darn good in goal. Gulls had a lot less shots than Reign, but better opportunities (sound familiar?) Can't really fault him for game winner in last 2 min. Awkward turnover, and the Gull's player ripped a screened shot over his shoulder.
Mallet and Herr: two guys I'd never heard of who sure seemed to get a lot of ice time.
Lintuniemi, Schilling, MacDermid, Roy: 4 defense-man in the Kings system that will never play in the NHL.

Blake, Stevens, Emerson, O'Donnell, and a couple more of the brass I didn't recognize were in attendance. They were all sitting a few rows behind my seats, in what passes for a "luxury box" down here at Viejas Sports Arena in LoCal. Didn't get a chance to ask Blake for a job....... but I did meet Willie O'ree.

Few hours left until lottery...... Need A Miracle

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft kinda sucks, I'm hoping for Kailer Yamamoto.....not sure he will ever become an NHL regular but with the players to choose from he is a good player to chance

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember what happened the last time the Kings picked 11th overall!

That's right....................

Jonathan Bernier!!!!!!!!!!

So your saying we have another shot at a Hall of famer?!? That's got me excited

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long shot but if Eeli Tolvanen is available would be my pick.
It's said that he's got an NHL ready shot and skills with the puck as well.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reign vs Gulls game last night: Gulls break 1-1 tie with 2 min left to win. Super chippy game, several scrums and couple fights. My 2 cents on Kings prospects:

Kempe looked decent, but thought he would've been better. Although Gulls were clearly going after him all night. Took one bad offensive zone penalty.
Brodzinski: looked good, fast. Looking forward to seeing in Kings line-up.
Mersch: looked alright. huge on the penalty kill (as was Sutter)
LaDue: clearly talented for AHL level. Never going to be a big defense-man, but probably needs to get stronger to be consistent in NHL.
Campbell: pretty darn good in goal. Gulls had a lot less shots than Reign, but better opportunities (sound familiar?) Can't really fault him for game winner in last 2 min. Awkward turnover, and the Gull's player ripped a screened shot over his shoulder.
Mallet and Herr: two guys I'd never heard of who sure seemed to get a lot of ice time.
Lintuniemi, Schilling, MacDermid, Roy: 4 defense-man in the Kings system that will never play in the NHL.

Blake, Stevens, Emerson, O'Donnell, and a couple more of the brass I didn't recognize were in attendance. They were all sitting a few rows behind my seats, in what passes for a "luxury box" down here at Viejas Sports Arena in LoCal. Didn't get a chance to ask Blake for a job....... but I did meet Willie O'ree.

Few hours left until lottery...... Need A Miracle

Thanks for the recap, nice to see it. Reminded me of The View From the Ox Box, we need more of these next season from anyone who attends games.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long shot but if Eeli Tolvanen is available would be my pick.
It's said that he's got an NHL ready shot and skills with the puck as well.

Not that much of a long shot, quite a few mock drafts have LA with him.....Rassmussen as well

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting proposal from a Bolts fan rag, Muzzin for Palat straight up:

2017 NHL off-season: Trade ideas for the Tampa Bay Lightning

I'd be OK with it as long as something else comes with Palat - if Muffo's perception is that high around the league, defenders always cost more than forwards. I wouldn't mind a decent close to NHL ready prospect or a 2nd round pick in addition.

Palat would need to be signed however, he just finished up a 3 year/$10 million deal. I think a slight bump to $4.5 million would be appropriate.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Was at the Reign game last night and I totally understand how unreasonable this sounds. With some of the kids being called up, playing NHL minutes, when they go back down I would think they would dominate the AHL level?

As for the draft: