• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Offseason Thread

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised at all. I had a feeling early on that they had already made their decision once Sutter and Lombardi were let go. It's going to be interesting who they've looked at for the assistant rolls. Obviously it was made pretty clear that they aren't going to give up defense to gain offence.

I am curious about Boudreau, once again he followed his career path to a T - tons of RS success, nothing in the POs. It's almost comical at this point because it's been a 15 year pattern at both the AHL and NHL level with similar denominators - skilled teams, good teams at every level.

Ties in with my last statement above. Offence and the offensive mind set wins you regular season games but it's defense that wins you championships. It'll be important for the new leadership of the Kings to not lose site that keeping the puck out of their own net is still as important if not more so than score goals.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stevens is on record saying the defensive structure won't change and that they will change the way the forwards attack.

I found this quote from Robitaille, it's been what I have been beating as a dead horse the last few years, the last two specifically:

“I look at scoring goals in a different way. It always comes down to scoring chances,” Robitaille said. “That doesn’t mean shots at the net. Usually the more prime scoring chances you have, sooner or later the goals will come. And I don’t think we created enough scoring chances. We created enough shots, but not enough scoring chances to really be dangerous.

“The style is going to change into we’re going to drive the puck in a different way. We used to drive it first in the corner, work, work, work, get it back, get it there. Now, we’re going to look to drive it and take it to the net right away, so that’s going to be a significant difference when you watch us play.”

John Stevens brings a softer voice and small changes to Kings' head-coaching job

The lines in bold preach exactly what I have been saying - analytics don't mean jack. The Kings have been a possession team and depended on cycling the hell out out of the puck, send it back, and hope for a garbage goal in front.

This is a low percentage philosophy, very conservative; when the Kings crashed the net it worked but they didn't do that as much in recent years and teams also completed collapsed in front of goalies to not let those low percentage shots through in the first place. As I said, I would rather have 5 quality chances on 15 shots for as opposed to 3 quality chances on 4522 shots for. So glad they are ditching that mentality.

Also been reading around that Elliott's days in Calgary are done, he was awful against Anaheim and for the better part of the season, he wasn't the answer in net. Bishop should be a target again, no doubt Blake is talking to them and maybe can get a decent prospect or a pick since he will be a UFA unless a sign and trade is in teh works, in which case it could be a great opportunity for LA to restock.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I am wrong, but the chatter about Gaborik to LTIR would only be beneficial if he stayed on LTIR for all (or at least most) of 2017-2018 season? I.e.: IF the Kings could re-coop most of his $4.8 cap hit by placing him LTIR for the season, then great.

But, for example, if he came off LTIR exactly midway through the season, then the Kings would only be able to use $2.4 of his cap hit (or, cap relief) throughout all of next season???

I realize there are more moving pieces, such as trades, various guys up and down from AHL, etc. But is that very simplified statement close to accurate?

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know about any of you, but I am excited to see how everything plays out this offseason. As always, my first wish is to have the Ducks out of they playoffs. Once that happens, I am able to relax and enjoy the rest of the playoffs.

I just want the playoffs over with so we can see how all of this unfolds. I am hoping for the best. Hopefully, the new regime has some tricks up their sleeves but I am also a bit nervous.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I am wrong, but the chatter about Gaborik to LTIR would only be beneficial if he stayed on LTIR for all (or at least most) of 2017-2018 season? I.e.: IF the Kings could re-coop most of his $4.8 cap hit by placing him LTIR for the season, then great.

But, for example, if he came off LTIR exactly midway through the season, then the Kings would only be able to use $2.4 of his cap hit (or, cap relief) throughout all of next season???

I realize there are more moving pieces, such as trades, various guys up and down from AHL, etc. But is that very simplified statement close to accurate?

Kind of sort of not really.

=)~~

Kidding you, you have the idea right but there are moving pieces when it comes to LTIR. Looking at Gaborik’s situation, he played hurt all season after even coming back from the foot injury and now it’s disclosed he had knee surgery on his left knee, the same knee that sidelined him in Jan 2016 right when he was hitting his stride. Explains a lot and why he sucked so bad this season, he has never come back from an injury (in LA anyway) and struggled as bad as he did. I thought it was his foot bothering him because he clearly did not look the same.

The second thing is Blake has said he will not buy out Gaborik. He can’t actually, per the CBA – injured players cannot be bought out. So Gaborik’s timetable is long, they have said he will not be ready for camp. Blake also said however consider this a clean slate for Gaborik, he has to come in and show what he can do. I think not having Sutter on board – who clearly was not a fan of Gaborik the last 3 years it seems, increasing every year – will be good for him. Like or not as fans, the Kings are stuck with him for now and unfortunately limits the Kings' moves by a significant salary amount.

Regarding LTIR, the relief a team gets is not the amount (hit) the player makes but it’s a combination of team cap hit and available cap space. Just to be quick, if the cap is $70 million, Kings have $68 million in hits, Gaborik makes $4.75 million, while most people would think the Kings can spend up to $74.75 million they could actually only spend up to $72.75 million and not be penalized. The formula Players Salary – (Salary Cap – Team Salary Cap) = Cap Overage.

Essentially the Kings would be able to spend another $2.75 million with Gaborik on LTIR. This number will fluctuate as the season goes along and when the player comes back obviously as the salary cap is calculated daily.

Regarding LTIR too, it isn’t an easy process to get a guy on LTIR. There are serious legal issues because it is an avenue that can be used to circumvent the cap, and too many professionals are on the line for that from the coach to the physician (and his license to practice).

Unless there is a legitimate reason, documented by physicians and combed over by attorneys, a player will not go on LTIR – too risky to get busted by the NHL.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can they say they want the team to go hard at the net but Iginla doesn't seem like a good fit?? I'm already leery

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of sort of not really.

=)~~

Kidding you, you have the idea right but there are moving pieces when it comes to LTIR. Looking at Gaborik’s situation, he played hurt all season after even coming back from the foot injury and now it’s disclosed he had knee surgery on his left knee, the same knee that sidelined him in Jan 2016 right when he was hitting his stride. Explains a lot and why he sucked so bad this season, he has never come back from an injury (in LA anyway) and struggled as bad as he did. I thought it was his foot bothering him because he clearly did not look the same.

The second thing is Blake has said he will not buy out Gaborik. He can’t actually, per the CBA – injured players cannot be bought out. So Gaborik’s timetable is long, they have said he will not be ready for camp. Blake also said however consider this a clean slate for Gaborik, he has to come in and show what he can do. I think not having Sutter on board – who clearly was not a fan of Gaborik the last 3 years it seems, increasing every year – will be good for him. Like or not as fans, the Kings are stuck with him for now and unfortunately limits the Kings' moves by a significant salary amount.

Regarding LTIR, the relief a team gets is not the amount (hit) the player makes but it’s a combination of team cap hit and available cap space. Just to be quick, if the cap is $70 million, Kings have $68 million in hits, Gaborik makes $4.75 million, while most people would think the Kings can spend up to $74.75 million they could actually only spend up to $72.75 million and not be penalized. The formula Players Salary – (Salary Cap – Team Salary Cap) = Cap Overage.

Essentially the Kings would be able to spend another $2.75 million with Gaborik on LTIR. This number will fluctuate as the season goes along and when the player comes back obviously as the salary cap is calculated daily.

Regarding LTIR too, it isn’t an easy process to get a guy on LTIR. There are serious legal issues because it is an avenue that can be used to circumvent the cap, and too many professionals are on the line for that from the coach to the physician (and his license to practice).

Unless there is a legitimate reason, documented by physicians and combed over by attorneys, a player will not go on LTIR – too risky to get busted by the NHL.

OK, so my calculation was wrong. Mainly because we don't know:
1) Salary Cap for 2017-2018
2) Total Cap hit of the Kings after sign all their players

OK, so using your example.... (cap of $70 - King's cap of $68 = Cap overage of $2. Then Gaborik's salary of $4.875 - $2 gives the Kings $2.75 in LTIR / cap overage relief). But, that total $2.75 million of LTIR relief would still only be valid if Gaborik sat out the whole season. IF he comes back exactly halfway, then the aforementioned cap relief would only be $2.75 / 2 = $1.375 million (Again, holding all other factors steady, which of course, is not totally true). Just trying to gauge how much LTIR they could actually bank on.

Next question: anyone know if the Cap Overage /LTIR would be affected if the Kings have multiple players on LTIR (Greene @ $2.5 and Gaborik @ $4.875)???

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, so my calculation was wrong. Mainly because we don't know:

1) Salary Cap for 2017-2018

2) Total Cap hit of the Kings after sign all their players

OK, so using your example.... (cap of $70 - King's cap of $68 = Cap overage of $2. Then Gaborik's salary of $4.875 - $2 gives the Kings $2.75 in LTIR / cap overage relief). But, that total $2.75 million of LTIR relief would still only be valid if Gaborik sat out the whole season. IF he comes back exactly halfway, then the aforementioned cap relief would only be $2.75 / 2 = $1.375 million (Again, holding all other factors steady, which of course, is not totally true). Just trying to gauge how much LTIR they could actually bank on.

Cap Overage is always a moving target because the cap is calculated daily. This is why you see big trades happen either in the summer or near the end of the season and not too many between Oct and the trade deadline (that is when every team has a ton of money on the books). As the season progresses, teams gain cap space, so they are able to make the trades for big dollar players

For example: season runs 210 days, Oct – April. Oct 16, LA has $68 million on the books or $323,809 per day. March 1, or approximately 180 days later, $58.25 million is off the books so LA has about $10 million in available cap space to play with for deadline acquisitions. This does NOT mean they have $10 million available for the following season.

Next question: anyone know if the Cap Overage /LTIR would be affected if the Kings have multiple players on LTIR (Greene @ $2.5 and Gaborik @ $4.875)???

Nope, same calculations. Using the same example ($70 million limit/$68 million Kings) at the start of the season and guessing numbers for Greene ($2.75 million) and Gaborik ($4.875 million):

Greene + Gaborik – (Upper Limit – Available Cap Space)
$7.625 million - $2 million= $5.625 million cap overage
$68 million + $5.625 million = Kings can spend up to $73.625 million

Using my March 1 date and if they have the $10 million available, there is no LTIR relief because there is more cap space available than LTIR overage. Because of the daily calculation, LTIR is not really effective towards the end of the season because teams gain cap space anyway. If they have more cap space available than LTIR cap overage, it’s a moot point.

Hope that helps.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
What kind of vague nonsense is this?

LOL, I have no clue. Maybe the offensive assistant to Stevens defensive mind? Purely speculation but because it said shockwaves through So Cal, any chance it's someone previously connected to the Quacks?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess for all of the answers that will come later, I do like Robitaille and Blake being transparent and just saying what they're going to do/what they're thinking.

Agree with Puck on it being nice to hear Robitaille call it like it is with shots vs scoring chances. Blake isn't wrong in that if this team avoids injuries, they should be a Playoff team (But that's a pretty big IF, and the goal is not just to be a Playoff team).

I do not get the Martinez criticism. Defenseman are usually good to go much later than forwards, so him approaching 30 doesn't really bother me. Plus it sounds like they're going to really address his groin this summer (heyo!).

Overall, some things will change by no changing at all, so that will already be a positive. Quick will be back (hopefully) for a whole season, and Kopitar can take this year to not make this franchise feel like assholes for paying him. Draft/Toffoli/Pearson/Expansion Draft will be interesting.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, I have no clue. Maybe the offensive assistant to Stevens defensive mind? Purely speculation but because it said shockwaves through So Cal, any chance it's someone previously connected to the Quacks?

BREAKING: BRIAN HAYWARD NAMED ASSISTANT COACH OF LA KINGS

=)~~

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, I am thinking any moves (by any NHL teams) will be done once the Draft Lottery is set this weekend.