• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Offseason Thread

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ooops. Formatting didn't work too well above.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can bury a contract, but really what good does it do?

The maximum relief you get isn’t that much, for 2016-17 it was only $950,000 (the formula is that year’s league minimum + $375,000. League minimum in 2016-17 was $575,000. For reference, 2017-18/2018-19 $650,000, 2019-20/2020-21 $700,000 and 2021-22 $750,000 and then we need a new CBA).

In Gaborik’s case this year $3.925 million would have still been on the books. Based on their cap situation, it wouldn’t have allowed them to do much but I guess if all kind of moving pieces are shuffled around and all the cards fall your way it’s something worth looking into.

This all came about because of the Rangers, who buried Redden and his $6.5 million cap hit in the minors the last few years of the old CBA (6 years/$39 million) and got 100% cap relief at the NHL level because it wasn’t addressed in the 2005-2013 CBA. You mentioned circumventing, well the Rangers did it and this is what changed. They took full advantage of gaining $6.5 million in cap space and were rewarded for issuing a bad contract.

One area where I could see this as beneficial is if you have a younger player on an ELC but there isn’t a roster spot for him but you want to see what he can do (Kempe for example). You could lose the albatross contract player to open up a spot for him, clear some cap room to accommodate the ELC player and hand the reigns to said player for a full season while he is on a cheap contract to see if he is NHL worthy or not.

Regarding recalling players, after the trade deadline Waivers do not apply so that higher dollar player could be recalled with no possibility of him being claimed but the issue becomes cap space, you have to make sure that is available between the trade deadline and the last day of the regular season (no cap is in play during the playoffs). One caveat is you can only have up to 4 minor league recalls during the playoffs, not including Emergency Recalls. I’m not sure if this rule is still in place (I’ll have to look) but under the old CBA the other issue was you had to wait until the minor league team’s season was over or playoffs ended, whichever is later.

The real issue here would be sand bagging, and I can see a ton of GMs not being too happy about it. But then that begs the question, of say a Gaborik was in the minors all season long, he probably won’t be much of a difference maker come April either.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather move Sutter then Nolan...but ya, he should show up no matter what
Sutter and Dean gone.
Kings fire Cup-winning coach Darryl Sutter, GM Dean Lombardi
Luc and Blake promoted.
Kopitar let the cat out of the bag yesterday post game when he said , he was "Going to miss Chris Dancing in the third period" and "whoever the coach is next year"
As far as Blake and Luc running things, that scares me. In 08-09 he liked Purcell over Simmonds. Purcell had good vision he said. Luc is about flash and Hollywood. He also is too buddy with his friends. Think when he tried to bring Roenick back as a blogge for the team.
Blake scares me because, he has no experience that I can recall. Maybe it is good that they are against th cap. Can't make too many moves.

King Mensa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Common Blakey - put your boy Nelson behind the bench!!!! We know you want to!!!

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sutter and Dean gone.
Kings fire Cup-winning coach Darryl Sutter, GM Dean Lombardi
Luc and Blake promoted.
Kopitar let the cat out of the bag yesterday post game when he said , he was "Going to miss Chris Dancing in the third period" and "whoever the coach is next year"
As far as Blake and Luc running things, that scares me. In 08-09 he liked Purcell over Simmonds. Purcell had good vision he said. Luc is about flash and Hollywood. He also is too buddy with his friends. Think when he tried to bring Roenick back as a blogge for the team.
Blake scares me because, he has no experience that I can recall. Maybe it is good that they are against th cap. Can't make too many moves.

I think Sutter was thinking about ranching and with Dumbo's horrible contracts, the writing was on the wall.

Wow................

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It was time to reboot. Sutter's style had been growing old since the day he was locked out of the dressing room. Lombardi crashed and burned badly with the Team USA construction and since then was trending towards the exit. I will always be grateful for the cups they brought but I am tired of watching PO hockey without the Kings.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

So now we know both Gaborik and Brown won't be protected. Gaborik to the Av's or Yotes in a trade would be great at the draft. I would take a 5th-7th to get that salary of the books and it helps those team reach the ceiling.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised really and I appreciate the team they put together and the success they brought to the Kings. I don't think Blake is the answer and probably going to watch the Kings spiral out of anything noticeable of a cup contender. It really sucks because there are some great players in LA and watching the cap mismanagement has driven me crazy for quite a few seasons now. Hopefully I'm wrong about the new regime....I would like to see the Kings contend a bit more with DD/Kopi ect.

histkng23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that this may make a few people cringe, but I actually wish Lie-Weekly was back running AEG. Beckerman hasn't really garnered a lot of trust from me since he was promoted before the 2013-14 season. I know Luc has been growing his resume trying to get to this position, but I'm really nervous about Blake. He hasn't really shown to have a strong hockey mind, and he seems to have brought on "Good'Ol Boy" environment with Glenn Murray, Nelson Emerson, and OD being brought back into the organization. Just unsure of these moves...

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coached my boys' 6U team tonight (3-2 loss, Pucky Jr. 1 did his best Robb Stauber impression and got schooled, kid put it into an empty net) and my phone was blowing up.

Can't say this really surprises me, I mentioned it several times over the last few months. What I think really did them in was last summer, not making any speed moves and going for low budget signings. Yes, they were restricted because of the cap but that goes right back to Dumbo and some of the absurd contracts he handed out.

He should have bit the bullet and traded a Muzzin or something to clear space up but chose to be stubborn yet again and this time it bit him professionally. Thanks for the Cups and best of luck elsewhere, my money is he ends up back in Philadelphia with Hextall and Sutter goes home and gets on his John Deere.

Sutter isn't in charge of the roster, but he was in charge of coaching. He could have changed it up a little bit, open up the game for some speedsters like Carter and Pearson but didn't. That is on him. I am not sold on John Stevens as a coach, I mentioned before he has too much Sutter on the brain after being his sidecar the last 5 years. Unless he has a fresh approach for Blake in a very detailed plan, I would keep him as an assistant and find a younger coach who has a clear, defined vision even if at the AHL level.

These two are like twins joined at the hip so it was pretty obvious if one went, so was the other. I'm concerned about Blake, he has a reputation as an up and coming GM, but how much of that is name and how much of that is real? I don't know but it looks like we are about to find out.

All I'm hoping for is that it doesn't become a good old boys club like the last few years under Taylor did. It's bad enough that Nelson stupid Emerson is here as a coach in some capacity and guys like Glen Murray hang out too. Emerson was terrible when he was here and Kings fans don't even give two shits about him, the only reason he ended up in the organization was because he was Blake's roommate at Bowling Green.

I hope Blake isn't dialing up McSorley or Hrudey or whoever he was chummy with and hands out posh positions to unqualified individuals.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I hope that it doesn't revert back either, it would be a waste of the core players and the youth. I wouldn't mind Stothers from the Kings AHL affiliate.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue there is the Reign plays a system similar to LA's, which is why when players are called up they already know coverages, systems issues and what to do for the most part. This was done under Dumbo's regime to make the transition for AHL players to NHL players easier.

Unless Stothers has a different game plan, I'm almost certain we will see sweeping changes at least at the NHL level - new coaches tend to bring in their own guys so Stevens and Payne very well could be on their way out too, it's just a matter of time. Wouldn't be surprised if we hear the Kings have given them permission to talk to other NHL teams about vacancies.

Something I noticed the last few weeks, when I read Sutter quotes or saw him post game, it sure sounded like he was taking some backhanded jabs at Dumbo, essentially saying "this is the roster you gave me, what do you expect?". Two examples have been the "we didn't have enough goals" and "we didn't keep up in the division" sentiments - both of those are clear cut roster construction issues that fall on Dumbo's feet.

It felt to me he was tossing a grenade in the war room and planning his escape already. Just me or no?

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Dumbo goes out and gets him a goalie...I bet Ben Bishop is like "thank TF god I am out of this shit show".

We figured out Dumbo was stubborn, and sometimes it paid off but the last 3 years not so much. Sounds like a bit of arrogance came with the success but good GMs are always evolving and not afraid to embrace change.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He mentioned more than once about the lack of goal scoring

Bernstein is an idiot. No idea why he is posting this stuff, he is probably sitting in his masturbation station with KY - he has been waiting for this day, to see the Kings tank, for years.