• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Offseason Thread

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp...

I was all for Sutter being gone because he was too stubborn and refused to be accountable on a lot of things the past year or so, but both he and Lombardi being gone also scares me. I still hate how Sutter threw Budaj under the buss so easily (Whether or not he deserved it for playing bad or not).

From what you guys posted, Lombardi refused to fire Sutter, so the Kings hands were forced on that one, so it is what it is. I love Robitaille, but damn this does not seem good. Blake and Robitaille sounds like Sakic and Roy in that nightmare in Colorado. Kings are way ahead of the curb with structure, but man we will see.

Change was inevitable, so I'm optimistic. Will be interesting to see how these guys immediately deal with a top 10 draft pick, the Pearson/Toffoli contract situations, and then if they're able to deal with Brown and/or Gaborik's contracts.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article is telling, Lebrun's comments make me think if Dumbo had no idea he was on the hot seat then he truly was disconnected from the team. We as casual fans could sense it, how could a veteran GM who built this team not?

Lots of new questions after Kings clean house

This reiterates to me this was the right decision. Dumbo may have bought in on the speed/skill thing 2 weeks ago but he was a year late to the game. He should have been way more proactive last summer gaining space, even if that meant buying out one of Gaborik or Brown but didn't.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article is telling, Lebrun's comments make me think if Dumbo had no idea he was on the hot seat then he truly was disconnected from the team. We as casual fans could sense it, how could a veteran GM who built this team not?

Lots of new questions after Kings clean house

This reiterates to me this was the right decision. Dumbo may have bought in on the speed/skill thing 2 weeks ago but he was a year late to the game. He should have been way more proactive last summer gaining space, even if that meant buying out one of Gaborik or Brown but didn't.
I love the Doughty to Toronto talk. If Toronto got every player the fans think want to play there, cheaply, they would have won 9 championships in the last eight years.

I thought the Kings would let DL and DS stay until the end of next season. They had a lot of excuses this year. Missed the playoffs by 3-4 wins with Quick being out and Kopitar with a bad wrist for half the season. In a way I am glad it happened now, but I am worried that we sold the BMW and bought a Fiat

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every season there will be an excuse not to win. 1 maybe even 2 bad seasons in a row you can rationalize another chance....3 and your totally in suckville no matter how you spin it....Quick out, sure that hurts but if you made better decisions when the chance was there it could have been overcome by maybe another 10=15 goals scored by the entire roster, that's not asking a lot for a team to step up even a little bit when someone goes down. Plugging the roster with bad contracts and worthless players only handcuffs you when players that can actually help you come available. If there isn't anything available in the offseason you start with what you have and see where your weaknesses are and then address them with players teams are looking to move...it seems easy enough for some teams

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kopitar had no injury issues, he confirmed that over the weekend. He simply did not produce, and he took responsibility for that.

More proof it isn’t an easy job being an NHL captain, I can only imagine what a guy like Lecavalier went through when he was named the Lightning’s captain at age 19 in 2000, at least Kopitar had 10 years under his belt before that happened, Lecavalier just finished his first NHL season I believe. As with all new captains I give them a pass the first year then gauge them the following years, when they settle into their roles, understand their expectations and how to manage a locker room. I’ve been one several times and believe me, even in a beer league it isn’t easy managing personalities and it’s really uncomfortable having difficult conversations with guys about things.

The TO rumors crack me up, if a player’s hometown is within a 200 mile radius of Mecca up there and a contract is expiring in 24 months or less they are automatically Leafs. I remember seeing some clown on ESPN when they showed games in 2000 or 2001 with an 88 Lindros jersey. We all saw how that worked out. Doughty will remain a King in my opinion, it just depends on what market value will be and what Blake and ROBOTILE do to the roster. If they aren’t competitive in 2 years I can see Doughty entertaining the idea of leaving but I think ultimately he will stay here barring something major.

I wasn’t confident at all AEG would keep them until next season. You’re a year behind too old man, there were rumblings last summer about their fates because of what happened – they recovered well in 2015-16 after not even making the POs a year after winning the Cup but then fizzled big time the last 6 weeks of the season (they clinched very early), back peddling into the POs, losing the division title in the third period of Game 82 where they led Winnipeg 3-0. The way San Jose dismantled them in the WCQFs could be seen a mile away because they were not on top of their game the last 2 months of the season even though they amassed 100+ points (this is a Sutter issue).

Add in the financial SNAFUs of Gaborik and Brown, having one 1st round pick in 5 years, two big gambles that didn’t payoff (Lucic, Sekera) in either re-signing them or having PO success with them, lateral moves like McNabb, the lack of decent talent being drafted to replenish the system and the first letters on the pink slips were written.

I think one of the biggest mistakes, and one that probably weighed heavily in the decision, was Richards and two opportunities to walk away from that contract free and clear but the absolute reluctance to do so, almost in a defiant way. If I’m the owner of an NHL franchise and some guy has a hard on for a player who clearly is deteriorating and makes a lot of money but doesn’t do what is necessary even when he is given two get out of jail free cards for my franchise with my millions of money, my eyebrows are going up and he is being watched.

Another huge mistake was buying into the analytics thing way too much to the point where it became an organizational philosophy. I can see him sitting there just stubbornly saying “No, no no! The CF60 and GF9000 and CT2482 stats are off the charts! We are doing fine!”. No, you’re not dude – your average 23rd ranked offense the last 5 years is the proof, not your Corsi stats. I’m so f**king sick of analytics and how badly LA relied on them as a success metric. This false belief led him to the moves he made.

Voynov was out of his control and I think he handled that situation well overall, Stoll was going to leave anyway after 2015 because he was no longer useful (the E charge was justification for not even considering him but I don’t think he was an option anyway).

Dumbo did a lot of good things here, I give the man a lot of credit. He built this franchise from two or three stones to a fortress, and not many GMs can say that. I mentioned before only Holland really comes to mind, most other GMs take over mid-build or somewhere advanced in that stage. His accomplishments should be commended and LA will be forever thankful for what he did.

However, when he struck out he struck out extremely bad. There was no middle ground with him it seems, it was all or nothing.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love Iginla back. I don't care about whatever happened with him with the Avs last season. He is the guy we need around the net....I was hoping Cliffy or King would be something like him (not nearly as dominant of course) but they never really took any steps past being filler players. A full season with him his grit and leadership would help immensely with the current shakeup

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love Iginla back. I don't care about whatever happened with him with the Avs last season. He is the guy we need around the net....I was hoping Cliffy or King would be something like him (not nearly as dominant of course) but they never really took any steps past being filler players. A full season with him his grit and leadership would help immensely with the current shakeup

I think Iginla said that before Sutter and Dean were let go. Hope he would come back for low $$$ because he liked playing with the "core" players.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More random thoughts:

So now we know both Gaborik and Brown won't be protected. Gaborik to the Av's or Yotes in a trade would be great at the draft. I would take a 5th-7th to get that salary of the books and it helps those team reach the ceiling.

I think the Kings would take a 27th round draft choice for Gaborik right now. Problem is, no one wants any part of a 4-year commitment to Gaborik, even if the Kings eat some of his cap hit. I think it would cost the Kings another decent asset in order to trade Gaborik away for even "future considerations".

Welp...

From what you guys posted, Lombardi refused to fire Sutter, so the Kings hands were forced on that one, so it is what it is. I love Robitaille, but damn this does not seem good. Blake and Robitaille sounds like Sakic and Roy in that nightmare in Colorado. Kings are way ahead of the curb with structure, but man we will see.

Unfortunately, I have the same feeling. I feel decent about Luc, but not Blake. Just seems as though we haven't heard all that much about Blake since he was brought back. Much different than when Hextall was assistant GM. Definitely heard him a lot more, and it was obvious he was going to get a chance to be a GM somewhere. If Lombardi was still around for several more years, would any other team have come calling for permission to talk to Blake about a GM position? Hard to tell.

And finally, from Jon Rosen the other day:
"There were also things completely out of his control that made his governance exorbitantly more challenging. Slava Voynov literally hurt an actual person, and anything else comes secondary, but the Kings never fully recovered from the absence of a number two defenseman from the roster. The day he was allowed to practice with the team in 2014 remains the lowest point of an era that reached heights no other Los Angeles administrations did."

I totally agree that what Voynov did was deplorable, and he deserves any punishment the league or courts could dish out. But in Lombardi's defense, I think he deliberately had Voynov practice in order to force the issue. The NHL had been waffling for a month+ on what to do about Voynov since his arrest. He was obviously guilty, but just not proven guilty yet in a court of law. But NHL refused to suspend him. The Kings had other injured defensemen, and no cap room to call up someone from AHL. They played games where they dressed 5 d-men. I think as angry and disappointed Lombardi was with Voynov on a personal level, he purposely had him practice in order to force the NHL to actually suspend him (thus, getting the Kings cap space to call up another d-man). While it was questionable decision ethically, I fully believe Lombardi never intended to get Voynov back. Only wanted him officially suspended.

Kopitar had no injury issues, he confirmed that over the weekend. He simply did not produce, and he took responsibility for that.

The TO rumors crack me up, if a player’s hometown is within a 200 mile radius of Mecca up there and a contract is expiring in 24 months or less they are automatically Leafs. .

I heard Patrick O'Sullivan on NHL radio a month or so ago. He was commenting on the other NHL radio host who said that it might be a little early for all these TO fans to say that the Leafs should be considered "Cup Favorites"..... paraphrasing here.... "You mean to tell me that there are Leaf's fans out there..... who aren't exactly totally in touch with reality...?" Hilarious and spot on.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had no problem with Voynov practicing at that point. I remember wanting some sort of answer from the league as well for the same reasons....they kept dragging their feet and the Kings needed something one way or another. I think we all agree the Kings never recovered from that and have been trying to make up for it ever since. While not Deano's fault...these things happen and its always inopportune timing which is why you need to be very careful with cap space....sure I keep harping on it because its a huge part of the game.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On my post from the other day about Cliffy not developing as I had hoped....doesn't mean I don't like him on the club, I am fine with him on a 3/4 line...I had just always hoped for more. Like Nolan he showed it was there from time to time but never really took a step forward and stayed

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on the same boat in regards to Voynov, the Kings were handcuffed and coud,n’t do anything. They did dress 5 defenders for some time because they didn’t have cap space because the NHL did not suspend Voynov.

Dumbo may have dropped the ball on some things in recent years but he is no dummy. He is an educated, former practicing attorney, he knew exactly what he was doing and it was to elicit some type of response from the league so they could get the cap space necessary to get a player.

I think it was messed up that the NHL just let the Kings float around like a fart in the wind where they can clearly see it’s creating a situation where they cannot be competitive. Dumbo had to force their hand and he did.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On my post from the other day about Cliffy not developing as I had hoped....doesn't mean I don't like him on the club, I am fine with him on a 3/4 line...I had just always hoped for more. Like Nolan he showed it was there from time to time but never really took a step forward and stayed

I agree, about 4 years ago he had his best season ever in my opinion. It may not have been on the scoreboard but he was a complete player that season, it was the lockout shortened 2012-13 season. He was all over the ice, I remember him creating a lot of chances for himself and line mates, he was solid defensively and as always he was a physical force.

That made me believe he has another gear in him but unfortunately we never saw it. Not sure if we will either, but I think he is a necessary part of this team. Along with Lewis, this is a guy who I think LA needs to keep. Nolan, he is in the same boat if he can improve his attitude but I would be OK with keeping either one but not both. They have never been a “goon” team per se but Clifford keeps opposing players honest.

The really irritating one to me was always King, he was so much more offensively gifted than either Clifford or Nolan but was stuck in neutral for 5 years. I had enough of him after the last 2 years or so. It’s all in his head and that cannot be coached, he seems destined to be a top end B6 forward with PK abilities and a flash of offense now and again.

Expected much more from him.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think the fact the Kings were still in the PO hunt when Quick came back and then shut out the Quacks mutes any excuse. The Kings had every chance to get into the PO this year. They just never found that extra gear or perhaps they wanted Sutter out and knew this was the only way? (conspiracy only)

I appreciate everything Sutter and DL did to build this team and bring two cups but it was time for a new chapter.

Blake I am skeptical on but at least he learned from Lombardi rather than being brought in cold turkey. Hopefully he saw what went wrong and I feel at least he see's the need for change. They've talked about bringing in a more offensive minded coach, so that's a plus.

"The word in league coaching circles is that Los Angeles will be searching for bright, offensive minds. And even if that type of person is not chosen as head coach, there will be another opportunity in an “offensive co-ordinator” style position."

Scroll down to #'s 4-9

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure the Kings have already decided who will be behind the bench next year.
I doubt they would have fired Payne unless they've already spoken to someone and that someone expressed they didn't want Payne around. I think it's just either a mater of respect or some sort of politics holding the announcement back.

Only other thing may be that they are waiting to see if anyone else they prefer more becomes available in the next couple of weeks as more coaches may become available.

Either case I think they already have it narrowed down pretty much.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Payne firing isn't all that surprising, the Kings PP was ranked dead center at 15th, With some high level talent in Doughty and the others, I think it should have been a top 10, maybe a top 7 PP so Kings management obviously felt he was part of the problem as well. The Kings really haven't had a solid PP and PK at the same time since the days of Tippett.

They have already stated they want someone with NHL experience so that tells you right there who they are looking at but they are also looking for someone youthful with an offensive mind. That narrows down the field even more, almost to the point where they may be painting themselves into a corner.

I would hope they would at least look at some AHL guys and maybe one of them knocks them off their feet. While I like John Stevens, I'm very leery of him as a head coach because of how his days in Philadelphia went, not to mention he has been under Sutter's wing for so long I hope he isn't a Sutter clone.

But they get paid the big bucks to make those decisions, we shall see what they pick and why.