• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again though, not the players fault.

If you want to go further back, part of the blame goes to the '94-'95 Rockets who sleep walked through the regular season before turning it in in the playoffs. It was shortly thereafter that coaches and front offices began to realize just how little the regular season mattered compared to having guys rested and ready for post season.

While I understand Chuck's frustration as a fan, his criticism is misguided. Adam Silver had to make this move because regular season games are being viewed as increasingly less important. The proper response was to limit back to backs.

If Chuck were playing today, he would get rested too. Whether he liked it or not.

See, I think Silver could have gone in a different direction and just started requiring actual proof that there was an injury involved.

I get that he's in a tough position, but at some point you have to tell these guys to quit being pussies and play basketball 2 days in a row. The vast majority of these guys were playing basketball all day, 7 days a week trying to get where they are. Then they get there and they don't want to play?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trend was started by the coaches, not the players. Yet, players shoulder 100% of the blame in the public eye. Really not fair.

Can't agree here. Do you honestly think that if Phil Jackson couldn't get Kobe or MJ to rest...that Tyronne Lue is going to tell Lebron he can't play? KD, Curry, etc. are going to listen to Kerr?

These coaches, with the exception of Pop, are providing cover for these guys.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again though, not the players fault.

If you want to go further back, part of the blame goes to the '94-'95 Rockets who sleep walked through the regular season before turning it in in the playoffs. It was shortly thereafter that coaches and front offices began to realize just how little the regular season mattered compared to having guys rested and ready for post season.

While I understand Chuck's frustration as a fan, his criticism is misguided. Adam Silver had to make this move because regular season games are being viewed as increasingly less important. The proper response was to limit back to backs.

If Chuck were playing today, he would get rested too. Whether he liked it or not.
I personally liken the move. I understand what dumb Charles is saying but he is wrong. Qualified experts will tell you that what the players was not the best way to care for the body. The back to back did INVITE more injuries. Perhaps Charlie is just jealous

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, I think Silver could have gone in a different direction and just started requiring actual proof that there was an injury involved.

I get that he's in a tough position, but at some point you have to tell these guys to quit being pussies and play basketball 2 days in a row. The vast majority of these guys were playing basketball all day, 7 days a week trying to get where they are. Then they get there and they don't want to play?
It's not about that though. This was about removing the potential for more injury and giving the fans mote for their money. A 24 HOUR period is not enough time for your body to rest from an extreme exercise but 48 hours removed the risk of injury due to fatigue. That is a basic concept professional trainers teach there clients

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not about that though. This was about removing the potential for more injury and giving the fans mote for their money. A 24 HOUR period is not enough time for your body to rest from an extreme exercise but 48 hours removed the risk of injury due to fatigue. That is a basic concept professional trainers teach there clients

Not buying it. It's basketball, not football. They play what? 40 minutes a game? At most?

They can play 2 days in a row.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not buying it. It's basketball, not football. They play what? 40 minutes a game? At most?

As the result of this move the fans will get more and better for their money and as a fan money talks

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the result of this move the fans will get more and better for their money and as a fan money talks

Then how come fans are complaining about it? There is no reason that these guys can't play occasional back to backs. Especially with all of the training techniques and nutritional advances that are specifically geared towards recovery.

For decades, back to backs and even back to back to backs have been the norm and the product has been good enough to get the NBA to a level of popularity that is beginning to challenge the NFL.

Now, they want to lengthen a season that some fans are beginning to say is already too long. And why? Because arguably the most well conditioned athletes in the world can't play 40 minutes of basketball 2 days in a row for fear of getting "tired."

Again, we're not talking about football, boxing or even ice hockey, where players literally take a physical beating every game...we're talking about basketball.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But they're still playing 2 days in a row. I get Barkley complaints partially but the NBA did not eliminate B2B. The only thing they eliminated was 4 games in 5 nights which I'm fine with

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they're still playing 2 days in a row. I get Barkley complaints partially but the NBA did not eliminate B2B. The only thing they eliminated was 4 games in 5 nights which I'm fine with

I'm not. As I mentioned in my last post, it lengthens a season that some are beginning to say is already too long. Obviously, I'm still gonna watch because I love the sport. But these guys really need to quit being such sissies and just play ball.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not. As I mentioned in my last post, it lengthens a season that some are beginning to say is already too long. Obviously, I'm still gonna watch because I love the sport. But these guys really need to quit being such sissies and just play ball.

I agree. Barkley point didn't come off across great though as he made it seem like the NBA eliminated B2B.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap floor is a bad thing, IMO.

But, as long as teams continue to offer 20+ million max contracts to players like Otto Porter abd Harrison Barnes, super max deals to guys like Conley, teams will struggle to profit.

That is 100% the fault of the market that continually overvalues good, not great players. Owners need to stop overpaying these types of guys so other salaries can All into their proper place.

As soon as Mozgov signed his deal last summer, I knew we were headed toward more CBA disputes.

Those contracts don't really have anything to do with the cap floor. They have more to do with undesirable locations/teams overpaying to get even decent players. Most GMs don't have the job security to be patient anymore either.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't agree here. Do you honestly think that if Phil Jackson couldn't get Kobe or MJ to rest...that Tyronne Lue is going to tell Lebron he can't play? KD, Curry, etc. are going to listen to Kerr?

These coaches, with the exception of Pop, are providing cover for these guys.

Rest wasn't a thing back then. It literally was a non issue. Everyone played. Pop started to make it an issue in the mid 2000s, now everyone does it. It is not fair to make that comparison and say that "players today are sissies".

When the Warriors players were held out that game against SA last year, they were pissed about it. Yet, there were still people (probably some in here) calling them pansies for sitting.

And also, a 22 year old playing back to back nights is MUCH different from a 36 year old doing the same. I hope we can all agree there.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those contracts don't really have anything to do with the cap floor. They have more to do with undesirable locations/teams overpaying to get even decent players. Most GMs don't have the job security to be patient anymore either.

I agree.

Owners need to be more realistic with goals for their GM though. And again, all of the blame comes back to owners.

Because, if GMs know that overpaying an average player to get them 3-4 more wins isn't going to save their job, they won't make those moves. The unfortunate reality is that those contracts actually cripple teams' ability to rebuild. GMs should not be evaluated by wins and losses unless managing a contending team. They should instead be evaluated by future assets and bad contracts.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rest wasn't a thing back then. It literally was a non issue. Everyone played. Pop started to make it an issue in the mid 2000s, now everyone does it. It is not fair to make that comparison and say that "players today are sissies".

Pop may have started it, but many of todays top players have embraced it and taken it even farther. What is unfair is fans paying top dollar to see these guys play and having them sit out because they might get tired playing 2 days in a row.

When the Warriors players were held out that game against SA last year, they were pissed about it. Yet, there were still people (probably some in here) calling them pansies for sitting.

If they were that invested and that upset, they'd have played.

And also, a 22 year old playing back to back nights is MUCH different from a 36 year old doing the same. I hope we can all agree there.

Yes however, 36 year old's have played 2 and even 3 nights in a row for decades. On the '72 Lakers 69 win team, Wilt was 36 and the Logo was 34. During their 33 game win streak, they had 3 times where the games were back to back to back. They did it without the travel luxuries and advancements in recovery that players enjoy today too.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pop may have started it, but many of todays top players have embraced it and taken it even farther. What is unfair is fans paying top dollar to see these guys play and having them sit out because they might get tired playing 2 days in a row.

If they were that invested and that upset, they'd have played.

Yes however, 36 year old's have played 2 and even 3 nights in a row for decades. On the '72 Lakers 69 win team, Wilt was 36 and the Logo was 34.

And the 2016 Warriors were literally posterchildren for why teams should rest players. They wore down when it matters most. When your main competition is resting and you aren't, it creates a pretty sizeable advantage. When nobody rested, it wasn't a thing.

The Warriors and Cavs would literally be stupid not to rest their players. And no, in most cases it is not the players' call. LeBron is probably the exception.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then how come fans are complaining about it? There is no reason that these guys can't play occasional back to backs. Especially with all of the training techniques and nutritional advances that are specifically geared towards recovery.

For decades, back to backs and even back to back to backs have been the norm and the product has been good enough to get the NBA to a level of popularity that is beginning to challenge the NFL.

Now, they want to lengthen a season that some fans are beginning to say is already too long. And why? Because arguably the most well conditioned athletes in the world can't play 40 minutes of basketball 2 days in a row for fear of getting "tired."

Again, we're not talking about football, boxing or even ice hockey, where players literally take a physical beating every game...we're talking about basketball.
I'm not complaining. I like all of this winnin:lol:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the 2016 Warriors were literally posterchildren for why teams should rest players. They wore down when it matters most. When your main competition is resting and you aren't, it creates a pretty sizeable advantage. When nobody rested, it wasn't a thing.

The point is, it shouldn't be a "thing." It's a thing because these guys have bought into the idea that they somehow will get too tired if they play basketball for 40 minutes 2 nights in a row.

The Warriors and Cavs would literally be stupid not to rest their players. And no, in most cases it is not the players' call. LeBron is probably the exception.

I disagree. The players have the majority of the power (which is part of the problem). When it comes to resting, it actually affects only the top level guys...the guys that people are there to see, so maybe 10 or so guys in the whole league. If those players want to play, they're playing.

The whole basis of your argument seems to be "Well, it's a thing now." Just because it's a thing, doesn't mean it's a good thing and should be continued.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guys can play and that's a fact, but that doesn't mean it's the best approach or decision. My approach is that when the Lakers have played a game and it's 10 or 11 pm then let them go home and have a decent nights rest. Just because they did something wrong for 50 years does not mean they need to continue doing it wrong