• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Australian Open

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that, I was talking in general. I had no issue with the way he used the word but for those who use the term in a racist way then we will take offense to it. Had nothing to do with Obama. We were taking offense to gorilla/monkey word way before 2008. If someone calls me a gorilla to my face then I'm knocking the person out and will likely end up in jail

Of course, thats just common sense. That would be straight up wrong for someone to say that. Unfortunately it becomes the boy who cried wolf after a while because people get offended by every little thing. The race baiters became emboldened the last 8 years once Obama became President so he does have something to do with it. That pendulum seems to sway back and forth every 8 years. It was just the opposite under Dubya. It will probably swing back again in the next 4-8 years. People tend to go to extremes with issues unfortunately.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow Nadal won in 5. Woke up on the east coast in time for the start of dimitrov and gasquet. Nadal match ran into the night session and the women's match went 3 sets. Match started at 11 PM local time

Yeah, it was a good tiebreak in the 3rd set, and pretty good 5th set.

Browsed through the rest on the DVR this morning.

I think the Gasquet-Dmitrov match started around 12am local time actually.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dimitrov is looking really good. Playing like he did a few years ago when he was making deep runs at majors. Good to see Istomin win his match also. Hate when a player upset a top ranked player then follow it up by losing to some unranked player

Agree.

To me, it was kind of a waste last year for Verdasco to beat Nadal in the 1st round of the AO, then lose to the next round.

Same thing for Del Potro beating Wawrinka at Wimbledon, then losing in the next round.

Maybe both Verdasco and Del Potro, in these cases, weren't the type of lesser known player that Istomin was, but it's still the same thing IMO.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that, I was talking in general. I had no issue with the way he used the word but for those who use the term in a racist way then we will take offense to it. Had nothing to do with Obama. We were taking offense to gorilla/monkey word way before 2008. If someone calls me a gorilla to my face then I'm knocking the person out and will likely end up in jail

Of course, thats just common sense. That would be straight up wrong for someone to say that. Unfortunately it becomes the boy who cried wolf after a while because people get offended by every little thing. The race baiters became emboldened the last 8 years once Obama became President so he does have something to do with it. That pendulum seems to sway back and forth every 8 years. It was just the opposite under Dubya. It will probably swing back again in the next 4-8 years. People tend to go to extremes with issues unfortunately.

What do you guys think about this from last year?

The Sacramento Kings were celebrating Lunar New Year.

DeMarcus Cousins took offense to the shirt, because it occurred during Black History Month (February), and had a picture of a monkey.

So, the Kings removed all of the planned shirts they were going to give out, before the game.

To me,

1) It was the Year Of The Monkey, so they had to celebrate it.
2) Lunar New Year fell in February, so it happened to coincide with February. Can't do anything about it.

If Lunar New Year fell in January or March, they would have celebrated it the same way.

Besides, the Kings had other celebrations for Black History Month in February, so they were going to celebrate all cultures.

30D1122300000578-0-image-a-34_1454435416991.jpg

IMG_1308

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just finished the dimitrov/gasquet match...well, except for the last couple of points because setting my DVR for SEVEN FUCKING HOURS wasn't enough because the lame women's match before it lasted forever.

really happy for dimitrov. maybe he'll finally start to realize his potential. i'd be happy, but i'm not holding my breath.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the root word for guerrilla is "guerre", which means war. No etymological connection to "gorilla" in the slightest.

in this specific case, i think it's clear that it wasn't the commentator's intent to evoke any type of negative racial connotation with that specific word choice.

on the other hand, there was a story a few years back where a white teacher was frustrated with a black student, and called her niggardly. the root for that is "nigon" which means stingy. again, there's no etymological connection between that word and the racist word that starts with an "n". BUT, in that case, it was clear to me that the teacher was indeed trying to evoke a negative racial connotation.

in short, it's all about intention, and it's usually not that hard to figure out. i'm sure plenty of people have used the phrase "guerrilla tactics" as a racial slur, but i just have a hard time seeing it with this specific case.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just finished the dimitrov/gasquet match...well, except for the last couple of points because setting my DVR for SEVEN FUCKING HOURS wasn't enough because the lame women's match before it lasted forever.

really happy for dimitrov. maybe he'll finally start to realize his potential. i'd be happy, but i'm not holding my breath.

LOL, I did the same. I have my DVR go + 3 hours for sports, and I too saw that 7 hours wasn't enough for the end of Dimitrov/Gasquet. And that was only a 3 setter.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really love his draw. Novak losing really opened up that draw. One of the following players will be playing in the finals next Sunday Morning:

Rafa
Monfils
Thiem
Goffin
Raonic
Bautista-Agut
Dimitrov
Istomin

If I'm thinking correctly, I think Raonic is the only one who made a GS finals excluding Rafa and all of finals appearances

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really love his draw. Novak losing really opened up that draw. One of the following players will be playing in the finals next Sunday Morning:

Rafa
Monfils
Thiem
Goffin
Raonic
Bautista-Agut
Dimitrov
Istomin

If I'm thinking correctly, I think Raonic is the only one who made a GS finals excluding Rafa and all of finals appearances

It will be interesting to see if Raonic can finally beat a high level returner. He has been a level above the players listed so far IMO. He just never seems to get over the hump. Woud not mind seeing Thiem/Goffin winner get there either.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think about this from last year?

The Sacramento Kings were celebrating Lunar New Year.

DeMarcus Cousins took offense to the shirt, because it occurred during Black History Month (February), and had a picture of a monkey.

So, the Kings removed all of the planned shirts they were going to give out, before the game.

To me,

1) It was the Year Of The Monkey, so they had to celebrate it.
2) Lunar New Year fell in February, so it happened to coincide with February. Can't do anything about it.

If Lunar New Year fell in January or March, they would have celebrated it the same way.

Besides, the Kings had other celebrations for Black History Month in February, so they were going to celebrate all cultures.

30D1122300000578-0-image-a-34_1454435416991.jpg

IMG_1308

This is even worse of an overreaction. Like @cezero said, Its about intention. Simple as that.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really hate how the Aussie Open insist on starting every day session with women matches. I don't recall this happening at the US Open.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How great has it been watching Fed and Rafa again? I have a feeling this is Murray's year, but if he falls, then anything can happen.

Would love to see Tsonga or Raonic win it though.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How great has it been watching Fed and Rafa again? I have a feeling this is Murray's year, but if he falls, then anything can happen.

Would love to see Tsonga or Raonic win it though.

They mentioned the stat that Tsonga has been to 25 4th rounds. That's a lot of 2nd weeks.

I'm going to count the other rounds too now.

14 QFs.

6 SFs.

1 major Final.

From 2008-2016, he's made a SF 6 of the 9 years.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Venus to the Quarter finals. Talk about a favorable draw but I'm sure she will take it. Next up is the 24th seeded Pavlyuchenkova. Really love her chances of getting to the semis to face Kerber

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Venus wins in straight sets. She breaks at the end of the 2nd set.

She said she was born to play tennis.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Venus wins in straight sets. She breaks at the end of the 2nd set.

She said she was born to play tennis.

Just like I feel like Roddick would have won many more majors if he didn't have to deal with Fed, I feel the same for Venus if she did not have to deal with her Sister. I heard tonight during the broadcast that during the Serena slam, she faced and defeated Venus in the finals all 4 times.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zverev giving Murray all he can handle in the first set. 5-5 and broke Murray two times already....Just broke him for a 3rd time. Serving for the set