• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Winter Meetings and off-season

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some rumors are heating up about Chris Archer to the Cubs as we head into the Winter Meetings. Archer would be nice as an upgrade to Hammel's rotation spot from last year and would push Lackey to the 5th starter this year. Adding a proven starter also keeps Montgomery as the swing man instead of forcing him into the 5th starter spot would keep the rotation depth. Archer is under control on a very team friendly contract for FIVE years. Given the length of control they would have on Archer, and his age, I'd be fine with giving up Schwarber for him, although the current rumors are centered around a Soler and Happ/Jimenez package.

I could see the front office looking at Tyson Ross since the Padres released him instead of going to arbitration. Ross is going to miss the first 3-6 weeks of the season, but he would be veteran rotation depth if he recovers from shoulder surgery. Ross would also only be a one year deal so it wouldn't hurt future flexibility.

Some other names that have been floated around are Wade Davis, a trade with the Royals would make sense if they are going to rebuild. Greg Holland, who is recovered from TJS and looking for a one year prove it deal so he can show he's back to being an elite closer and get a big contract next off-season.

The real question is how many pieces will the Cubs be willing to move. Assuming Baez is going to be the starting 2B that leaves Zobrist as the potential primary LF. The Cubs were 3rd in baseball for LF OPS last year so an offensive upgrade at the expense of defense isn't really needed. Soler was the most used player in LF so just putting Zobrist out there full time could upgrade the offense and defense compared to last year. With the signing of Jay to go with Almora, Heyward, Zobrist and Szczur they have a full OF without Schwarber and Soler. The best LF on the roster is still Bryant, but it is unlikely they will move him there at this point, but I can see it happening in another year or two if they keep Happ. I'm assuming they'll move Jimenez in the right deal, which I'll be upset about it, like I was they moved Gleyber for a rental, but they are in win now mode so these things happen.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, the cubs are choosing to not try to get Melancon, they are looking to deal with the royals for Wade Davis. Sounded like straight up Soler for Davis, but now Washington is getting involved so it has become a bidding war. Rondon did a decent job, Edwards is also here now, sure seems like they could afford a half year to figure it out and add at the deadline. But they had to sign Jay for a season instead of sticking withtheir original plan from last year to play Heyward in center.

I dont think Maddon changes from last year, Baez will play third short and second. I just would prefer they use Zobrist at first.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heyward in center was never the long-term plan. It was a backup plan for last year if Szczur couldn't handle it until Almora was ready. Almora was always supposed to be the CF by 2017. If Fowler wouldn't have come back then Almora would have ended up playing the most CF last year.

Melancon got overpaid by the Giants. Jansen and Chapman are both going to get overpaid also. Can't blame the Cubs for not being willing to pay the price for those guys. Soler and a pitching prospect like De La Cruz or Underwood for Davis would solidify the pen. Hopefully, they can still add Holland for a chance at a big time back end with Rondon and Strop. Edwards was great last year and if he is that good, sub 1.00 WHIP, he'll be a great high leverage reliever. Those 5 could make for a great bullpen.

Zobrist should never play 1st. Contreras should play 1st on the days Rizzo is off. Zobrist should be the starting LF. Even after trading Soler the Cubs will still have a lot of OF depth and could still move Schwarber without sacrificing anything. Adding Archer still makes the most sense as it upgrades the rotation and gives them cost control so they can resign Arrieta next off-season. It also lets them continue to develop Montgomery in the bullpen before pushing him into the rotation in 2018 to replace Lackey. Archer also gives them some insurance in case Arrieta walks. Lester, Hendricks and Archer would still be a strong 1-3.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont buy that, Sczcur never had a shot to be a starter here and after Bryant being forced to stay down two weeks his first season, there was no way Almora was coming up til late in the season. We need to go back to there never being anything wrong defensively with Soler until Heyward got here.
They used the excuse to sign Heyward to a mega deal, then Theo says he wants to see Jorge reach his potential here, and it seemed to make sense until Fowler returned. Now its deal with Heyward again, and if he never hits again, wait for Eloy Jiminez so you dont bring him up too early like they did Soler.

Just not a move I think the cubs needed to make, but signing Jay in a still crowded outfield forced their own hand.

I still bet they would bring fowler back if the price was right.