• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Pirates

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like Taillon is going to get the the first shot at the majors, feel like his pitching style is more ready right now, with health being the issue obviously. Glasnow with the high walk rates might need some more time in AAA.

If they get another starter, I think it would be in place of Locke, since they really don't need 6 starters with no options. I think they rotation is done for now. And I hope it means they think Taillon, Glasnow, and Kingham can make some contributions this year. Although I wouldn't be against another starter like Latos, and trading Locke.

I'm not sure what their plan is, but they need another lefty for the bullpen. Watson isn't enough.

Also, Cole Figueroa, picked up from the Yankees as a minor league free agent. Could be a good 25th man in the future, can play the MI spots, and the bat isn't terrible projected in the 650-690 OPS range this year, interesting player.

Locke could be the second lefty in the pen if they sign another starter. He might not like it, but he profiles fine as a reliever. Good velocity in short spurts, and it could reduce the harm of his occasional walk problems.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dodgers are going to sign Kenta Maeda. After the Kazmir signing, they now have six opening day starting options, Kershaw, Ryu, Kazmir, Anderson, Wood, and Maeda, with McCarthy expected to return around the All-Star break and top prospect Julio Urias in AAA. They may be looking to deal one of those starters.

Ryu might be a worthwhile risk, since he's basically a #2 when he's healthy, but the price will be down coming off the shoulder injury. Wood would fill in really nicely as a #3 as well, and he's not very expensive. The Dodgers were looking to deal him for an even bigger upgrade right after acquiring him, so it's not unlikely they'd shop him. Even Anderson could strengthen the rotation.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of teams with too many lefties in some role in their pitching staff, with the Yankees acquiring Chapman, I wonder if Justin Wilson will be available. He got the walks under control last season without sacrificing strikeouts, and Girardi showed the template for how to maximize his effectiveness by pairing him with Betances in the 7th. We have Nicasio, Hughes, and Caminero all as options to pair him with in the 7th, so we could use him the same way.

He's entering his first year of arbitration, so the cost should be low, and he's a surplus bullpen arm to the Yankees, so they might make him available if they're not looking to deal Miller instead.

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Justin Wilson was traded to the Tigers 3-4 weeks ago:

Yankees trade Justin Wilson to Tigers for two prospects

I think the only move left will be for a starting pitcher - most likely Masterson or Latos unless a trade can be worked out. Both are righties, but would most likely push Locke (lefty) to the bullpen.

Cole (R), Liriano (L), Latos (R)/Masterson (R), Niese (L), Vogelsong (R) and Locke (L) goes to the bullpen.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Wilson was traded to the Tigers 3-4 weeks ago:

Yankees trade Justin Wilson to Tigers for two prospects

I think the only move left will be for a starting pitcher - most likely Masterson or Latos unless a trade can be worked out. Both are righties, but would most likely push Locke (lefty) to the bullpen.

Cole (R), Liriano (L), Latos (R)/Masterson (R), Niese (L), Vogelsong (R) and Locke (L) goes to the bullpen.

Just coming her to post that I missed that trade somehow. I like to follow former Pirates, but this one slipped by me.

I'd rather have Latos on talent, but he's always rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. I think I'd rather we made a trade, but if one can't be worked out, Latos is a solid option talent-wise.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pirates have signed RHP Neftali Feliz to a one year, $3.9 million contract with incentives up to $4.5 million. He's a very hard thrower, but coming off a down year after Tommy John surgery. Really high upside signing, though, because if he gets back to where he was before that, he can be a really effective reliever, back of the bullpen type of arm. His velocity was down a bit last year, and he still topped out at 99.

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Updated 25-man:

IF-Kang, Harrison, Mercer, Jaso/Morse/Rogers, Cervelli, Stewart, Rodriguez, Hanson
OF-McCutchen, Marte, Polanco,
SP-Cole, Liriano, Niese, Vogelsong, Locke
RP-Melancon, Watson, Nicasio, Feliz, Hughes, Caminero, Lobstein

I believe it is increasingly likely that Melancon gets traded (his value will never be higher). Watson will then close. Also, I think they still add a reclamation project for a solid 3/4 starting pitcher and then Locke goes to the pen for long relief. Melancon's bullpen spot would create an opening for one of Locke, Medina or Scahill.

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
According to Baseball Reference, all of Morse's $8.5M is being picked up by the Dodgers. I believe there should still be enough in the budget (based on $105M) to sign/trade for a decent SP even if Melancon isn't dealt. However, with all of the RP signed, it appears Melancon is on his way out and Watson/Feliz will close.

Mike Morse Statistics and History | Baseball-Reference.com

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I like the Jesse Biddle trade. Low risk/high reward potential (assuming not much was given up). He could be up late 2017 if his TJ surgery and recovery goes well. I wonder if the Pirates see him as a starter or reliever?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Jesse Biddle trade. Low risk/high reward potential (assuming not much was given up). He could be up late 2017 if his TJ surgery and recovery goes well. I wonder if the Pirates see him as a starter or reliever?

Yoervis Medina to the Phillies, so not much given up at all. Could be rotation depth with upside in 2017 after Glasnow and Taillon graduate to the Majors, or bullpen depth if that's where they see him. Based on the scouting, if he can get healthy and deal with some possible control issues, he could be useful in either role.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Leubke, O'Flaherty and Joyce signings are all interesting to me. A couple decent bounce-back bets for bullpen lefties and a pretty good bounce-back bet for a fourth outfielder with pop. Virtually no risk on any of them, since we gave up nothing to get them and give them a shot.

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I like Joyce as the 4th outfield. Polanco and Marte can both play center if McCutchen needs a day off so it keeps Joyce as a corner outfielder.

As Darkstone mentioned - these last three under the radar signings could all be solid additions with potential to be more with very little risk involved.

My guess for 25-man:

IF-Kang, Harrison, Mercer, Jaso/Morse/Rogers, Cervelli, Stewart, Rodriguez
OF-McCutchen, Marte, Polanco, Joyce
RP-Melancon(R), Watson(L), Nicasio(R), Feliz(R), Hughes(R), Caminero(R), {Lobstein(L)/Luebke(L)/O'Flaherty(L)/Bard(R)}

It appears that the only competition will be for the final bullpen spot and the 4th outfield spot. There is also the possibility that Kang won't be ready and Hanson makes the 25-man.

I would love to see Melancon traded for a solid young SP. I think the bullpen would be fine without Melancon and his trade value will never be higher.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Joyce as the 4th outfield. Polanco and Marte can both play center if McCutchen needs a day off so it keeps Joyce as a corner outfielder.

As Darkstone mentioned - these last three under the radar signings could all be solid additions with potential to be more with very little risk involved.

My guess for 25-man:

IF-Kang, Harrison, Mercer, Jaso/Morse/Rogers, Cervelli, Stewart, Rodriguez
OF-McCutchen, Marte, Polanco, Joyce
RP-Melancon(R), Watson(L), Nicasio(R), Feliz(R), Hughes(R), Caminero(R), {Lobstein(L)/Luebke(L)/O'Flaherty(L)/Bard(R)}

It appears that the only competition will be for the final bullpen spot and the 4th outfield spot. There is also the possibility that Kang won't be ready and Hanson makes the 25-man.

I would love to see Melancon traded for a solid young SP. I think the bullpen would be fine without Melancon and his trade value will never be higher.

There's a decent chance a defense-first shortstop like Florimon makes the roster with Rogers starting in AAA if they feel the need for more speed/defense off the bench, or that Morse is dealt now with Joyce as a possible bat with pop option.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pirates GM on Cole's salary offer: 'We made a mistake in the process'

I love Gerrit Cole, but dude is quibbling, publicly, over 3k when he banked 8 million before he threw a pitch. 0-3 guys get screwed on salary, you'd think a guy who is a union rep would understand how the system works.

He'll probably make 25+ million next three seasons, even if he goes straight arbitration.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pirates GM on Cole's salary offer: 'We made a mistake in the process'

I love Gerrit Cole, but dude is quibbling, publicly, over 3k when he banked 8 million before he threw a pitch. 0-3 guys get screwed on salary, you'd think a guy who is a union rep would understand how the system works.

He'll probably make 25+ million next three seasons, even if he goes straight arbitration.

Yeah, I kind of felt the same way. The system sucks for 0-3 guys and even more so for minor leaguers, but that's the way it is, and those are the rules, and now as the team's union rep, maybe he can do something about it as they approach the next CBA, but this is not that something.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3