• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 offseason

C

cubzzzfanincali

Just looking over the salary cap table, we have the fewest guys under contract in the entire league but also a lot of cap space. This should be a pretty interesting offseason. From the guys we have now who are no longer under contract, if the price is right, I'd hope they can bring back Shea, Porter, Zach Miller, maybe Montgomery. The rest of them can go as far as I am concerned.

Jeffery and Forte are really difficult. I suspect both will command open market prices beyond their real worth. I wanted us to resign Jeffery, but now that he's going to hit the open market, I don't think he is worth what some team will pay him, nor do I think he is worth the franchise tag number. Wouldn't bet against the Bears using the tag, but I'm not sure he's worth it. Maybe as leverage for an extension? Forte, unless he takes a hometown discount, he can walk.

As far as major guys still under contract who may get cut go, the one guy that really jumps ut at me is Bushrod. His cap hit is 2nd on the team at 8.7, his dead money is 4.4, which is sizeable but digestable. Do the Bears think that $4.3 million is better spent elsewehere on a better tackle? We shall see. Not a great OT market out there this year, assuming of course Glenn and Okung don't hit the market.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bushrod could not even get Leno Jr off the field. Only playing extra ot packages now. No way he stays. They need to get Kyle over to that left side this year to see if he can work there.

Really dont know what they are waiting for with either Forte or especially Jeffrey, get the balance of this years cap to him as that signing bonus to lower his hit for the next 4 years.

dont know how many more years they expected Robbie to kick, he will get some competition next year. Montgomerys value was getting the line set up this year. I dont know if you bench Grasu or move him to Guard if you sign Montgomery, or move Montgomery to guard so Grasu is right there with the line checks.

I'd like to see Forte stay, Gore is no where near the condition forte is and is producing. They could also use Forte and Langford together, I think there is a clear advantage there.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Frank Gore is NOT producing at a level you would have to pay Forte for. It's not even close. He is 38th in the league in YPC, his blocking has fallen off a cliff, and he is pretty mediocre in receiving. That's not worth $5 million, much less $10.

Forte is a couple years behind him, but we are already seeing the beginning of the falloff for him. At 29th in YPC, he's not exactly killing it either. I'd like to see him back, but only at a reasonable price. That's my point. If he in fact wants $8 or $9 million a year, as I suspect he does, he is not at all worth it. Go with the young guys, and use the money where it will buy more of a talent upgrade. Like, say, the defense.

C

cubzzzfanincali

oh I have to correct something. The Bears no longer have the fewest guys under contract in the league. Due to cuts on other teams, the Bears are now all the way up to tied for 19th.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bushrod could not even get Leno Jr off the field. Only playing extra ot packages now. No way he stays. They need to get Kyle over to that left side this year to see if he can work there.

Really dont know what they are waiting for with either Forte or especially Jeffrey, get the balance of this years cap to him as that signing bonus to lower his hit for the next 4 years.

dont know how many more years they expected Robbie to kick, he will get some competition next year. Montgomerys value was getting the line set up this year. I dont know if you bench Grasu or move him to Guard if you sign Montgomery, or move Montgomery to guard so Grasu is right there with the line checks.

I'd like to see Forte stay, Gore is no where near the condition forte is and is producing. They could also use Forte and Langford together, I think there is a clear advantage there.

Gore is not producing... Had a few serviceable games early on. About it.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The prospect of going into next season with Kevin White as our #1 WR, is scary to me.

I'd really like to see them resign Alshon. I don't want to see him hit the open market. Everything else. I'm with you on. We should still get a good price on Miller. Which is good, because after his first full season as a starting NFL TE. I think he's going to be worth a good deal more than what we'll get him for.

Definitely bring back Porter. IMO. Would be nice to keep Shea around. He's turned into a very serviceable LB.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meh on Gore, but I agree with the rest.

C

cubzzzfanincali

there's no doubt that going forward without AJ would be a risk. But he's going to get a multiyear contract if he hits the market, and there's a significant risk his contract will be overvalued, especially since I think he's really the only high end WR who will be out there, meaning his overpay risk will be huge. I guess just in thinking about it I'd almost rather they overpay for one year with the tag than overpay for a multiyear committment.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's no doubt that going forward without AJ would be a risk. But he's going to get a multiyear contract if he hits the market, and there's a significant risk his contract will be overvalued, especially since I think he's really the only high end WR who will be out there, meaning his overpay risk will be huge. I guess just in thinking about it I'd almost rather they overpay for one year with the tag than overpay for a multiyear committment.

After I read this thread, I looked at some of the top unrestricted FA lists. He's not only the top WR on every list, but on most lists he's the top offensive player in general. Not to mention, the ONLY receiver listed in anyone's top 15 or 20. Not a huge year for offensive lineman, there's a couple... but meh...

After Von Miller, Josh Norman and Muhammad Wilkerson, a lot have him listed as the 4th overall UFA. While some have him flip-flopped with Eric Berry at #5.

I think the tag may be the best way to go.

C

cubzzzfanincali

yeah it's funny but until I started this thread I hadn't really thought it was a good idea, but the more I think about it, the more obvious it seems. I'm petty sure if we noticed, AJ's agent and Ryan Pace have noticed it too.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gore was probably a bad reference, just came to mind as the last guy that a team let go because he hit that age. Forte has always been compared to Marcus Allen, who played til he was 37, his rushing averages from 30-37 were about 450 yards, receiving about 30 catches around 280 or so yards. Allens rushing actually went away at age 25 though, after that 1759 yard season, he barely averaged 700 yards missing alot of games between age 25 and 30. So if Forte expects that 8 million, probably wont see it, but its gonna take some to keep him around.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have to bring AJ back... I know it's going to cost shitton because of all the reasons listed above. BUT you can't go into next year counting on just Kevin White and Eddie Royal as your WR's. When healthy he's been really good. As expensive as it is...I say tag him and work towards a contract. If anything, they can see if he can stay healthy for a full year.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gore was probably a bad reference, just came to mind as the last guy that a team let go because he hit that age. Forte has always been compared to Marcus Allen, who played til he was 37, his rushing averages from 30-37 were about 450 yards, receiving about 30 catches around 280 or so yards. Allens rushing actually went away at age 25 though, after that 1759 yard season, he barely averaged 700 yards missing alot of games between age 25 and 30. So if Forte expects that 8 million, probably wont see it, but its gonna take some to keep him around.

I mean, Forte is still a solid back, but it's pretty easy to see both this season and last season. That he's lost the explosiveness and the big play ability that he had in say... 2011. He doesn't accelerate well in the open field, he goes down rather easily and gets tackled from behind by the ankles more than any back I've ever seen.

It's hard for me to imagine that he won't continue his slow decline, and at 31 next season. The inevitable big drop off is coming very soon. He's going to want elite RB level money. To which I say; "Thanks for everything, you were a very good back for the past eight years... but good luck with the rest of your career elsewhere. See yourself out". If I'm being honest, I don't want to pay anything to the guy. We have a back who has the ability to become a near carbon copy of him, and he's 23. Not to mention, what looks like a solid change of pace back in Carey.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Yeah, I think you nailed it. While I'm not in love with Langford or anything (obviously), I think he's worth a shot as a split-back combo with Carey and seeing what happens. If they grow this offseason, Langford bulks up and becomes a slightly stouter blocker, I think those two could be a respectable combination. Amazing maybe not, but solid, sure. Which is about what you can expect also from an age 31 Forte.

I mean, look at it this way....is chewing up $8.5 million in cap space *worth* it in terms of extra production at RB with a Forte backfield versus a Carey/Langford one? I for one think that money could buy more of an upgrade in other parts of the roster.

Forte signs cheap, kick ass. But paying full price will be a mistake. Good for you Matt, and thanks for the memories, but I hope someone else is the team paying you $9 million.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pay AJ, don't overpay Forte (if he gets a crazy offer let him walk) of the big two.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think Forte has at least 2 good years left. Next year you will hear he has not slowed down much, and I do think the image of his going down easily is more to control injuries.

Just pretty sure the bears low ball him and he leaves, but like I mentioned, you have the option to play he and langford together or utilize him outside as a receiver too. He will not be the focus of the offense anymore, but I doubt he accepts a 3/15-18 deal

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fox and Pace have already showed that they will not hesitate to cut or go with a player for the future, instead of the current season. I see that trend continue. Forte is still a good player and will likely be good next year and possibly even the year after, but if the choice is between the two AJ/Forte...I say they go with the younger AJ... Simple as that.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think Forte has at least 2 good years left. Next year you will hear he has not slowed down much.

He's already slowed down.

There is zero reason to think a RB will ever be valuable at his age next season. 99.9% of them are not.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fox and Pace have already showed that they will not hesitate to cut or go with a player for the future, instead of the current season. I see that trend continue. Forte is still a good player and will likely be good next year and possibly even the year after, but if the choice is between the two AJ/Forte...I say they go with the younger AJ... Simple as that.

Just saying they should be offering the deal now to use up the cap left as the signing bonus and lower each years numbers. AJ will probably say no. Yes, moving Brandon Marshall gave him the #1 spot he could not stay healthy for, but how long does he keep it with Kevin White on the other side anyway? He was close with Marshall, did the offseason training with him, who knows how the BM situation will affect his decision to move on.

AJ should be first, but he says no, its still a good offer to Forte.